• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for some advice - 1st time bun mum!

Pancakes

Young Bun
Hello!

I rescued my bun rather abruptly when I saw how he was living I sort of just took him because I couldnt stand the thought of him living like that... He was in a small guinea pig cage where he could barely lift his head and had been like that for months and never let out.

Aaaanyway, I knew pretty much nothing about rabbits but he came to live with me. We built him a 3x3 meter living quarters in the back yard where he spends most of his time... Except I hate him living out there... He's all alone and I just cant stand it. He went from being couped up to being in a large home but being lonely and it's not ok. It gets very cold here and snows a lot in winter meaning I do not want to go outside so he is not going to live in here... But he needs to live in a cage because we have three dogs. He is allowed out for a few hrs per day in the kitchen with me and he's just the BEST bun. He's so lovely and I adore him.

Currently he's living in a large dog crate in the living room (can post pics if you like for advice?) and it's only temporary but I am at a loss as to help him be the happiest he can be and I would love any advice I can get!! I really want to build him a C&C cage but the supplies are almost non existent in Australia... I have a very large parrot cage which I am considering cleaning off (has some rust) and converting into a 2 level house...

Ahhh now I'm just rambling... Sorry for the long post and congrats if you got this far! If you want pics just let me know if I can post them :)

Also, I have no idea what breed he is - He's just a regular brown bun as far as I have been able to tell lol!

We definitely need pics!!!!!

Welcome :wave:

You'll find loads of useful advice here. Is he neutered? If so you could find him a wife :)

:wave: welcome. Some people have done really great things with dog crates, adding second levels and stuff!

Thanks!

Here is the small cage he is living in atm - trying to make the best of a "bad" situation... ('scuse the crappy phone pics)

126f7200.jpg

6c890d8c.jpg

afc2a7a3.jpg

7c344bf2.jpg

80721a28.jpg

He isnt neutered yet but he will be... And I'd LOVE to get him a 'wife' but hubby is a little iffy about having another huge commitment... Pancakes was sort of a surprise that came home with us when we had 4 dogs of our own, were looking after a fifth and looking at rescuing a greyhound... Had rescue birds and a full tank of fish... Now he's wondering about having another commitment - seeing as we're also trying for human babies!!

I'd love for Cakes to be an active part of our family and to live inside with us - just looking for the best solutions I guess?

My lops have a dog crate but they free-range 24-7 in my room as I feel it's too small to leave them in.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226875

My lionheads have a panel cage.

Photo0225-vi.jpg

That's about 5 foot by 2.5 foot, they free-range during the day only. I still don't feel this is big enough though so my grand plan is to bond them into a four, then redecorate and bunnyproof the room where the panel cage is and put the dog crate in here. So at night they have a whole room then during the day I just have to open the door and they have the run of upstairs.

Wow - looks great!! I'd love to make a cage out of those grids but I just cant find them here in Australia!!

ETA:

Question about your dog crate conversion - can your buns stand up in there? Because if I did it for Cakes he would no doubt be in there for longer than your buns are.. :)()

I bought mine off Ebay. I guess the postage would be a killer though.

ETA: what about a large hutch? Just cut the legs off or get one with short legs?

ETA:

Question about your dog crate conversion - can your buns stand up in there? Because if I did it for Cakes he would no doubt be in there for longer than your buns are.. :)()

They can't stand on two legs, no. That's why I let them have the option to be in or out. This time of day they always choose the shelf. Lazy bunnies. :lol:

Thanks, that's an idea... I wanted to create something multi level for him but I guess if added onto the crate i could convert the crate and then not feel bad that he isnt able to stand up when he's in there hmm...

he is a gorgeous bun :D And I love your dog!!! you can get multi-level indoor cages, have a look on ebay or on zooplus :)

Thanks, I'll be sure to let them both know haha! Ruby (the dog) thinks she's God's gift lol!

I'd LOVE to get Pancakes a companion after he is neutered but I am really scared of the space issue. All of the hutch's I have seen on ebay or in any stores all just seem a little small? Hubby and I even traveled 2 hrs to this massive pet warehouse only to be told by the guy there that a rabbit is fine to spend its life in one of their small hutches.. I was mortified and left! (Not that I've done much better with the dog crate but at least I didnt buy it for him - it was actually the dogs lol.... AND its temporary.)

Have you a spare bedroom he could live in? If not, what about freerange in your bedroom?

Or, attaching a metal playpen to the existing dog crate to give him more room?

I would think after the home he has had, he is a very happy bunny, and I love his indoor home I think it's great. He's a gorgeous rabbit and look's happy and content and I think you are doing a great job....well done for giving him a wonderful caring and loving home. :D

I think if I let him be free range in a room like my bedroom (not suitable as my dogs sleep in there with us lol) thn it would just be like leaving him outside alone? I'd just love for him to be an active family member with us and I know his current home is much too small but maybe adding a run as you said could be good? I was thinking I could buy him a harness and take him (to the park or something?) out also to give him some more leg room and a less boring life... Or is that not a good idea?

Hiya,
You sound like a fab bunny mum, Pancakes really landed on his feet :D
If you have room in your lounge you could buy a large run for him to live in. He'd need a small "bedroom" type area to sleep and hide away if he wants to so you could maybe buy a cage and attach the run in some way? I'd also let him have time out in the garden aswell in the summer, as buns love to be out on the grass :)

If you have a large living area and you can let them out for lots of exercise aswell, one more bun won't actually make much extra impact, and pancakes will appreciate it sooooo much :) A coupled bun is a happy bun, and you'd never have to worry about him getting bored. It is another commitment on top of the many others you have, but I reckon would be worth it in the long run as it would prevent you worrying too much about pancakes :D

Out of curiosity what are you feeding him?
Welcome to the mad bunny clan ;)
xxx

He does get run time in the kitchen while I clean out his cage and chill with him a bit during the day and also for a few hours at night. Tonight we lay on the floor together it was lovely! :love:

I would LOVE to get another bun and have actually just checked the rescues in my area and there are none! I figure if I find one hubby will see her and be smitten lol.

Our living room isnt that large but I do like him in here with as because we spend a lot of time in here... Perhaps I can rearrange some furniture to give him some more room - as much as I can... In an ideal world I would love to let him out in here with us and the dogs!

He's eating rabbit pellets and timothy hay as well as daily veggies: carrots plus carrot tops, asparagus, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, mint, parsley etc... He also gets a sweet treat once per week of either an apple slice, watermelon slice or banana slice... or a few strawberries which he loves. Is that an OK diet? Is there anything I am forgetting? Is there anything I should try? I tried giving him a salt lick thing and he didnt want it... And once I gave him this rabbit nut bar thing which he LOVED.

Oh, ps, he doesnt get ALL of those veggies daily those are just the ones I have tried with him... Though he doesnt like the sprouts so much.

PS- About letting him out in the summer... I have a super duper large yard and I am so scared I will lose him/he will escape/never be able to catch him.... And I cant leave him in an open run as the eagles may take him... Thats why I came up with the leash idea?

The diet sounds good. How much of his pellets do you give him per day? The recommended amount is the equivalent of an egg cup full per day, I usually give mine theirs in the morning for breakfast :) Just to mention, carrots are very high in carbs and sugar so only feed as an occasional treat to avoid him putting on too much weight ;)

With regards to the harness, I dont really know as Ive never tried it on mine. From what Ive read on here some ppls buns are OK with it and some really hate it. Start a thread in behaviour and bonding section and Im sure someone will advise you :)

Is there any way you can cover over the open topped run with chicken wire or similar so that the buns would be protected?

xxx

The diet sounds good. How much of his pellets do you give him per day? The recommended amount is the equivalent of an egg cup full per day, I usually give mine theirs in the morning for breakfast :) Just to mention, carrots are very high in carbs and sugar so only feed as an occasional treat to avoid him putting on too much weight ;)

With regards to the harness, I dont really know as Ive never tried it on mine. From what Ive read on here some ppls buns are OK with it and some really hate it. Start a thread in behaviour and bonding section and Im sure someone will advise you :)

Is there any way you can cover over the open topped run with chicken wire or similar so that the buns would be protected?

xxx

He has a small ramekin in his cage (I think you can see in the photo?) which I half fill which I guess is just about an egg cup worth. Thanks for the info on the carrots! I will keep that in mind though he seems to be at a fairly healthy weight. What are some veggies I can give him which are less likely to make him gain loads of weight and/or be unhealthy for him?

Today is the first day of winter so maybe after the next three months or so I can build him a large run in the yard with mesh covering the top.... And then he wil have three homes and I'm sure would love a wife! :oops:

ETA: Wanted to add that the ramekins in the cage are half filled with plaster... They arent as deep as they appear to be from the outside - the quantity that fits in them is 1/2 what it looks like... And Cakes doesnt usually finish them all but he always finishes his veggies :)

Last edited:
Ah the never ending quest for things to feed our buns which wont upset their oh so fragile tums!
Everyone is different as some buns are sensitive to certain things etc Personally I feed mine, Parsley, Corriander, Endive, carrot tops, rocket, grass and as a treat a small piece of brocolli or banana or apple. The reason I dont give brocolli offen is because it makes my Timmy gassy, but I know lost of ppl who feed their buns brocolli regularly and they're fine. I only give a handful of veg or so a day which encourages them to eat lots of hay :)
Its a case of finding out what your individual bun can tolerate and thrive on.
Hes a real cutie by the way :love:

I think if I let him be free range in a room like my bedroom (not suitable as my dogs sleep in there with us lol) thn it would just be like leaving him outside alone? I'd just love for him to be an active family member with us and I know his current home is much too small but maybe adding a run as you said could be good? I was thinking I could buy him a harness and take him (to the park or something?) out also to give him some more leg room and a less boring life... Or is that not a good idea?

What about doing that and then getting him a partner?

ETA: Just seen what you said about a rescue :(

Back