• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and rabbits?

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
Hey guys:wave:

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find a thread that was quite what I wanted. My boyfriend's got a one-year-old dog who he'd like to start bringing to stay at mine when he comes to visit. I have two indoor rabbits who are usually free-range but are happy staying in their hutch if needs be. I'll keep them in the hutch while the dog's visiting, but I was wondering if you could give me any tips on introducing them?:)

I don't have any tips unfortunately, I keep my buns outside and when they get free-range time I keep the dogs in. The dogs will go out and look at them when they're in their hutch, but the bunnies aren't fussed, unless the dogs rush up/take them by surprise, then the rabbits will shoot up to the top level. When I'm cleaning litter trays and doing food in the evening I sometimes bring my Lab out while the rabbits are out, because she stays near me and has less of the desire to chase that my Westie cross has. My Lab tiptoes up behind the bunnies, and is desperate to sniff their bums, but whenever she gets within about a foot of them, they just hop off. If the rabbits were scared and ran away I wouldn't let the dog out at all, because them running would might get her excited and make her want to play the running game!

It all depends on the temperament of the dog and your rabbits. If your rabbits are confident and not easily scared, they'll probably be fine. If the dog likes to chase, there's not much chance it'll work out well - hence why my westie is not allowed out while the rabbits are out!

xxx

Back