• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Treatment for Myxi jab reaction :(

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Jimby seemed fine last night so I stopped worrying ... so much!
Anyway this morning he did not want his breakfast, I tried him on some treats which he ate some of, tried veg- didnt want to know so I called the vets first of all they said just keep an eye on him, as long as he is eating something just see how he goes, anyway I got more worried and called again, this time they said I could bring him in for mid day if I feel I need to. A little while went on and he started eating hay out of his hay box so I called back again and they said they advise to keep him at home unless he goes down hill.
Overnight he did some 'statis poops' small and funny shapes, but the nurse said as long as he is still pooping not to worry too much.
Is there anything I can do, as he wont eat veg I can not get any Fibreplex in to him :(

Last edited:
Jimby seemed fine last night so I stopped worrying ... so much!
Anyway this morning he did not want his breakfast, I tried him on some treats which he ate some of, tried veg- didnt want to know so I called the vets first of all they said just keep an eye on him, as long as he is eating something just see how he goes, anyway I got more worried and called again, this time they said I could bring him in for mid day if I feel I need to. A little while went on and he started eating hay out of his hay box so I called back again and they said they advise to keep him at home unless he goes down hill.
Overnight he did some 'statis poops' small and funny shapes, but the nurse said as long as he is still pooping not to worry too much.
Is there anything I can do, as he wont eat veg I can not get any Fibreplex in to him :(

I think you need to try not to get so anxious !! I know its hard and I know how much you love him. But I feel sure that he will pick up on your extreme anxiety about his eating habbits. He may feel a tad off colour, rather like we can after a Flu jab. But as long as he is eating some hay, pooing and having a drink of water then try your very hardest not to fuss over him. Just leave a few bits of Veg about, if he wants them he'll eat them.

You can then observe from a distance and I feel sure he will relax more when you do :)

Alfie did the same thing after his last myxi booster - I did the exact same as you ie. panic and stress in front of him :oops: but, as Jane said, it's sometimes better to observe from a distance.

Hopefully it should be a very brief thing; Alfie was back to normal within a few hours (he was ill just long enough for me to get to the vets and back :roll: :lol: and needed no treatment). :love:

I've even been known to set up a mirror to allow me to observe (stress over :oops:) a Bun without them knowing I am watching them !!

How about something like a bit of toast too? It's different and interesting and my two love it. He might find his appetite through curiosity :?

It has been about 30 hours since his jab :( He has eaten some biscuits and a small amount of veg and is flopped out atm :love:
The vets have said as long as he is eating something and pooping something not to worry too much.
I have left him in his house for now as I think he is more likely to eat and poop if he is in there.
My poor little cherub :love:

Its just one thing after another isnt it?!
So now it has been about 53hrs since his myxi jab and he is still not quite right, he is eating hay and some veg, he is drinking water and pooping (Not nice and big poops but still a decent size)
I have called the vets who I think are pretty sick of me calling! I just wanted some reasurance that I am doing everything right- the nurse said 'What do you want us to do?' I said 'well I would just like some advise, do you think I need to bring him in?'
She said 'What do you think?' :oops:
So I think I have annoyed them enough.... Now its your turn!! :lol: ;)

Its just one thing after another isnt it?!
So now it has been about 53hrs since his myxi jab and he is still not quite right, he is eating hay and some veg, he is drinking water and pooping (Not nice and big poops but still a decent size)
I have called the vets who I think are pretty sick of me calling! I just wanted some reasurance that I am doing everything right- the nurse said 'What do you want us to do?' I said 'well I would just like some advise, do you think I need to bring him in?'
She said 'What do you think?' :oops:
So I think I have annoyed them enough.... Now its your turn!! :lol: ;)

CHILL RACH, CHILL !!

It sounds as though Jims is doing fine :D

it has taken Alvin 2-4 weeks after stasis before hes eating the amount he was eating before the gut stopped. it may not be the jab that's bothering him and it could still be related to the stasis he had.

CHILL RACH, CHILL !!

It sounds as though Jims is doing fine :D

Agree, sometimes my two just don't fancy something one day, and I will panic and watch them and they ignore their fav stuff, untill my back is turned and they eat it all up.

I think they pick up on stress as Jane says

I am trying to act normal around him, tidying up and singing as usual :oops: Poor Jimby :lol:
He is having a nap under the table at the moment. :love:

Still not interested in his biscuits or some treats, but is eating hay, pooping and drinking. He seems happy in himself but I am just worried cause he usually LOVES his biscuits :cry:

how long since the stasis?

as thumps often says bunnies know what makes them better, he is probably craving fibre because he had an upset tummy so wont want his biscuits.

him not wanting treats is a great start to his new diet anyhows, i highly recommend finding a bramble bush and getting some leaves, they have done wonders for Alvins tummy :D

My vet does not think it was statis as he did not stop eating or pooping the whole time, just decreased. That was last Thursday that it started.

maybe its just the heat or as Jane has suggested get the teeth checked under GA if hes not getting back to normal?

i honestly beleive that this issue started before the myxi jab so i dont think its a reaction :?

or its para on your part (i suffer this often with alvin :oops::oops:)

Back