• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult Decision

Candiflare

Mama Doe
My OH has put his foot down about getting a fourth rabbit to pair with Buzz. He said yes a few months ago, but as the months have passed and he's taken account of the full destruction the buns have had on the house he's changed his mind. I've had this hutch/run built at great cost and now I only have Buzz in it (when he could have stayed in the hutch run he was in if I had known I wasn't going to get another rabbit.)

My OH won't even let me move the hutch/run on to the grass because he hates what the rabbits do to the grass, so Buzz is on concrete.

A neighbour who loves rabbits is planning on adopting a doe from rabbit rehome and has asked whether I could bond Buzz with this doe and Buzz can live with them (although technically still belong to me.) I'm actually considering it because I don't want Buzz to be lonely and he's come on leaps and bounds since I adopted him in November. From being a scared, nippy bunny, he's turned into a relaxed, clever bun who will lay out on your lap and take nose rubs. I just love him so much now.

So I don't know what to do --
What would you do in my situation?

Last edited:
I am in a similar situation. I have 3 single buns, 1 can't be bonded as she is aggressive but the other 2 really need friends.

My OH doesn't want anymore and to be honest neither do I, but I really don't want to rehome either of them. I am planning on waiting until we have been on holiday in July and then having another hard think about it.

I'm too much of a control freak to let anyone else look after my pets. Any of them! I even panic when they're in the vets for treatment!

If you think you can let go though, and you think Buzz needs it, then you're halfway to making a decision.

I know that Buzz craves company. He needs to be around me and my OH, or the other buns. He gets reassured by their presence. Whenever I lie down he comes and lies down next to me so his fur is touching me, and he likes the contact with someone/somebun else. Basically I just KNOW that he craves company.

Last edited:
I know that Buzz craves company. He needs to be around me and my OH, or the other buns. He gets reassured by their presence. Whenever I lie down he comes and lies down next to me so his fur is touching me, and he likes the contact with someone/somebun else. Basically I just KNOW that he craves company.

The flipside is whether I'm prepared to sacrifice the safety and unconditional care I know he has with me, to go to somewhere where the safety is not necessarily guaranteed for the sake of him having somebun for company. And once it happens I can't keep butting in and telling them to do this or that.

The people who want to take him on are really in love with him. They come round every week to see him and sit with him and have asked very politely whether I think it might be a possibility...

Neither Strawberry or Bungle like my company. They prefere to sit on their own. Strawberry is very active, he rarely sits still whereas Bungle spends half his life sleeping and the other half eating!

Maybe you could ask if you'll be able to visit a couple of times a week. You could have a cuddle and a sneaky look at him!

If, technically speaking, Buzz still belongs to you will you be responsible for vets fees? If so, then you should still have a right to say what goes on in his life.

Also, what if you or the neighbours move house? Would you be prepared to lose contact if there is a long distance between you?

Personally I wouldn't be able to let him go as I would worry like you. What about bonding him in with Ruby and Ralph and perhaps in some way attach the two hutch runs together to make one big setup.

I am in a similar situation. I have 3 single buns, 1 can't be bonded as she is aggressive but the other 2 really need friends.

My OH doesn't want anymore and to be honest neither do I, but I really don't want to rehome either of them. I am planning on waiting until we have been on holiday in July and then having another hard think about it.

Same here.

2 single girlies. I couldn't give either to a rescue to be rehomed it would kill me :cry:

They were bonded for 2 weeks fell out, I tried rebonding them it failed. I'm giving it until after out holiday in September and considering sending them somewhere to be professionally rebonded again.

Could Buzz be bonded with your other buns?

If, technically speaking, Buzz still belongs to you will you be responsible for vets fees? If so, then you should still have a right to say what goes on in his life.

Also, what if you or the neighbours move house? Would you be prepared to lose contact if there is a long distance between you?

That's what I was thinking about...That's a ten year commitment to be neighbours which is a lot for anyone to ask.

Last edited:
And it's not as if I even NEED him to go. He has a perfectly happy life here, he just doesn't have a rabbit for company.

Do you think there is someone who could bond two boys and a girl?

And it's not as if I even NEED him to go. He has a perfectly happy life here, he just doesn't have a rabbit for company.

Do you think there is someone who could bond two boys and a girl?

Vickie at Fatfluffs. She's really good. She bonded Michelle's bunnies.

:wave: I would def try and bond them all together - if that doesnt work -then have a rethink...
The only thing with that is if you end up with 3 single buns or if Buzz bonded with one and not the other - and one of your origional pair got singled out..

Mine did this in a way - Sooty and Charlie are inseperable and Oreo is now second best! though luckily he still gets plenty of cuddles...

Worth a go I would say...
What a decision to have to make :(

I would have a go at a trio if you can, that way you wont have to rehome him and he will get a chance of having bunny company, and still have you! :D

Back