• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Owner of dental buns

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hi:wave:

Just wondering for all you owners of dental buns:

1) How often do you take them in for dentals.
2) What are the signs that they are ready for a dental.

I take blackberry every 10-12 weeks and pipkin every 8-10.

I can tell they need a dental because they have trouble eating their hay and they start dropping it....when I take them to the vets she always asks if they are producing little tiny poos and I say no and she always looks for dribble under their chin but there isnt any - I think she thinks Im an obsessive owner but when they are knocked out she always agrees that yes they did need their teeth doing. I don't like leaving it until they can't eat because of stasis problems :?

Just wondering about other peoples experiences........

Keiths only had his backteeth done once so far, but showed no signs of needing it, he was having a GA anyway because he'd hurt his front toof and the vet did his back while he was there.

I know that some of the signs are:

leaving cecals
not wanting food (specifically harder foods like pellets and hay)
drinking excessively
small poos
dribbling

I'm sure there's more.

Mischa recently had a dental. There wasn't a lot of spurs but the sign that he needed it doing was that he was drinking a lot.

Santa averages about every 6 months, although it has been as long as a year previously :) My vet takes the teeth down to just above the gum which seems to make a huge difference - my previous vet just used to file the tops off straight and the spurs came back much more quickly.

Because she is on metacam permanently for snuffles, her signs are usually quite subtle as she doesn't experience dental pain in the same way as a bun not on painkiller might. Last time she went, there was a spur buried in her cheek that couldn't be seen conscious, and had she not been on painkillers I'm sure she would have required a dental much sooner!

There are two usual signs with her: First, she grabs hold of grass and yanks it out of the ground by pulling her head back, rather than grazing in the normal way, and second, she eats with her mouth open in an up-down movement rather than side-to-side. Consequently she also eats more slowly.

Last edited:
Lola is my precious girly, she has severe dental disease and no lower right molars, so as you can imagine her top right molars are nightmare-ish, she was having them every 3 weeks starting last november, now it's ever 1-2months thankfully. Because she is 4, the vet believes her teeth will come to a halt soon enough and the time periods will lengthen largely. She's worth every penny though :love::love:.

With regards to knowing she doesn't eat food immediately, becomes picky and quite quiet and keeps herself to herself..which isn't very Lola-like xx

1. Ginger every 4 weeks (he really needs doing every 3 weeks, but I'm scared of the aneasthetic so keep him dosed up on metacam an extra week). Pickles every 8 weeks.

2. First squishy poos, then tiny hard ones, tooth grinding, sitting hunched up with half closed eyes, asking for food but not eating it, difficulty eating leafy greens and refusing hay altogether. Pickles will also lick at Ginger's mouth when he needs doing.

Back