• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Misdiagnosed EC - its a mass

SBW2009

Young Bun
Well,
Tenby had her ultrasound today and she has a mass on her spleen the size of a tennis ball. We are totally lost, however i thought i would recap the story to help others

4 weeks ago, she started to have urine straining on her legs so we took her to our new vets who said it was EC and gave us the worming treatment and some baytril

A week later, she was no better so we took her back. Seeing a different vet at the practise, he agreed it wasn't EC but wasn't sure what it was. He felt a mass but said it was poo in her guts and that she needed a bit more fiber. On the safe side he said to continue to treat EC. Bloods etc weren't offered.

Then last tues she was a bit quiet suddently strated to lost weight and finally on thurs stopped drinking.

So we took her on friday to the vets who said she had kidney failure and was in loads of pain and we should pts. We refused as she didn't seem in pain.

On sat we took her to a large vet hospital in Leeds, where the vet said her body was shutting down (she wasn't eating or drinking) however that we should treat her.

Today she went for her ultrasound and has a large mass. The vet said the mass is operable however her liver isn't working 100% and probably has secondary cancer and her breathing isn't stron. We decided not to do a lung xray as it would involve either a GA or sedation as the vet didn't think he could secure her airways.

So we are bringing her home to spend her last days/ weeks or months with us. The vet is unsure of how long we have but everyday is precious. She's not in pain or discomfort and until the last days will probably be normal. We will pts when this changes.

As you can image, we are totally lost and feel that we should have changed vet as we both felt that EC was not what she had. We might complain, but its unlikely we would get anywhere.

I hope our story might help others.

Thank you again for the vibes and kind words

Thank you - at least we know and we can give her a great last few weeks / months.
She'll be in heaven with all the treats and strokes - cos she'll have even more attention!

I'm so sorry to hear about Tenby's illness. It seems as if you are very clued up though and that you will know when the time is right to let Tenby go.

Good luck to you and enjoy your time together - it is very special

All good wishes to you and Tenby :wave:

Thank you for all your kind words

She's eaten loads tonight but her breathing isn't great - we hope its all the stress of today.

I will let you know how it goes.

Update - she's gone

We lost her yesterday morning

On thursday she had started to lose the ability to swallow but i didn't mention it to hubby as it was his birthday (i knew if i did we would have to go to the vets)

Yesterday morning, we gave her some water and rescue food and she struggled to swallow. I got upset and went outside with our dog. 3 min later, she died next to her daddy's feet (he was her fav by far). She had a little run around, laydown, did a yelp and died.

Heartbroken doesn't cover it. Neither of us stopped crying yesterday.

We went to a garden centre and got a lovely apple tree and created a raised bed over her grave. Our puppy who's normally out to dig up things, has gone over once, lay down and then hasn't gone back to the same spot. We've got some chickenwire this morning to protect it, but its very strange.

Thank you for all the support, just wish i had found this site in happier times.

Oh no Im so sorry :cry::cry::cry:
Try and take comfort in the fact that she left at home with the people she loves and on her own terms. I know its a small consolation right now though :(
Big hugs xxxxx

Oh no I am so sorry for your loss :cry: You must be comforted in that she atleast went quickly, I hope this makes her loss a little easier to bear. I am so sorry :cry:
I think your apple tree was a lovely tribute and I'm sure she is now at peace, she was clearly a very lucky and loved little bunny x

I am so very sorry for your loss.

We lost our adorable rabbit Chloe the exact same way only 3 weeks ago, and she had been a member of our family just over 10 years.

Like Tenby, Chloe was at home with myself, my husband and my son. We were all heart broken ( the little yelp, but then she too was at peace).

It will be very difficult over the next couple of weeks, remembering her last weeks of her being ill, but in time you will block that memory out of your mind, and only remember the happy moments. ( I am at that stage now)

Tenby has been lucky to have lived with a loving family, who adored her.
What a lovely thought to plant the apple tree in memory of her.

Sleep Tight Tenby in Bunny Heaven

Thank you all. Chris, what a fab age, my last rabbit was almost 9-she really made me realise how fun rabbit are. My husband found some funny videos of her on his mobile which did help. Neither of us can bare to go into her bedroom and clean out her hutch. I thought i had prepared for it, but its hit me really hard. Dread going into work tomorrow, kids will be asking about her so will have to tell them all. We are going to donate her stuff to a rescue place next weekend, i think. Apple tree is looking good, looking forward to eating her fav variety!

Back