• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny spaying and neutering qs!

aerofine

Warren Scout
Hi All

My buns are going into the vets this Friday to be neutered and spayed (boy and girl). How do I need to prepare their living area for them for their return? They live in a shed that has a double hutch in it, which has a ladder to the top floor.

Is there anything I need to do to prepare for their return?

Hi All

My buns are going into the vets this Friday to be neutered and spayed (boy and girl). How do I need to prepare their living area for them for their return? They live in a shed that has a double hutch in it, which has a ladder to the top floor.

Is there anything I need to do to prepare for their return?

I think the first thing I would do is take the ladder out to the top floor as they will need cage/hutch rest usually about 2-3 days for the males and females longer. Make sure you have some nice comfortable bedding like 'vet bed' or if you haven't any of that 'clean towels' will do. Check the operation sites daily on the male and female to make sure they are healing nicely .
The female may be a bit quiet for a couple of days. Make sure the rabbits have pain relief if they need it and make sure both rabbits are eating this is very important.
Don't forget males remain fertile for up to 6 weeks after being neutered so your female must be kept away from him for about 10 days after being spayed.

Last edited:
The male remains fertile for up to 6 weeks so do take care if they live together.....as Lady Bun will want no humping while shes recovering and his hormones will still be rampant.
Just plenty of water and good food, keep them quiet and rested.The Lady will feel real rubbish, however.
If you see the eyes are moist, its prolly cos the vet has used eye gel to keep the eyes moist throughout the GA.xxx

The male remains fertile for up to 6 weeks so do take care if they live together.....as Lady Bun will want no humping while shes recovering and his hormones will still be rampant.
Just plenty of water and good food, keep them quiet and rested.The Lady will feel real rubbish, however.
If you see the eyes are moist, its prolly cos the vet has used eye gel to keep the eyes moist throughout the GA.xxx

Oh gosh I was always told the male was fertile for 2-3 weeks I better change it on the above post then :oops: :?

Thanks for the info

I can't take the ladder out but can block off the top part of the hutch - the ladder is fixed in. Will that be an issue?

Both buns currently live together, brother and sister and have done since we got them. Vet recommended them to be fixed on the same day. They will be 16 weeks old next week. Male has literally only just started to get frisky from yesterday, up until then he hasn't been interested. Will his hormones still play up for up to 6 weeks if they have only just developed?

Hi,
A priority is to keep them very warm after their ops as general aneasthetics stops them being able to thermoregulate themselves. I'd advise bringing them indoors, atleast for the night after their ops. They might like a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel to lie on or lean against. Keep them on soft clean bedding as their wounds will be sore.
As a rule the males tend to bounce back alot quicker than the girlies. Your female may not be interested in eating for the first night so keep tempting her with her fave veg and herbs and frequently bring her water to her as she may feel to ill to seek it out herself. She will be in alot of pain so make sure you get painkillers to bring home for her.
xxx

Back