• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.C/ U/D I have lost him R.I.P Simba :(

Hopper

Mama Doe
Over the years and with all the rescues that come in I have never come across this before. One of my own rabbits, Simba has it and I dont understand why and how? I also give them all panicur 3 times a year anyway, last done 9 weeks ago.. He has been back again to vets today to have another check up and he started spinning when I lifted him and ut him in the carrier. I stopped him and padded the carrier with rolled up towels. I started panicur again 2 days ago and will do the full 28 day course of it. He has steroid injection today also.

I have researhed E.C in the past as you do anyway, and never had this happen before.. The info on it I find limited, or maybe its not satisfying me enough as a answer..

I am terrible as I always blame myself when a naimal gets ill, yet I do everything right. There vaccinated, wormed, flead bang on time.. There kept immaculatly clean and litter trays done every other day as its massive 4ft x 1ft as its the bottom of a rabbit cage, seeing as they live in a kennel/run there is space..

What could of caused him to get this?

:(

Last edited:
They can become infected at birth and whilst the parasite itself is shed (via the urine) the spores remain dormant. They can become 'active' when the Rabbit's immune system is under stress.

Up to 50% of Pet Rabbits will test positive for having been exposed to EC.

Amy it hasnt been so called confirmed no.. Erica is away and we got the stupid vet back in.. Erica suggested inner ear infection hence the baytril.. My friend took him down today for me as I had to rush out.. but I called the vets and told them waht to do and I what want as I knew it was the stupid vet.. he gave the baytril injection as i asked for as wanted to get a good dose into his sytem, having hell of a job syringing into him as holding him firm to stop him twisting and spinning to get it in is a heck of a job on my own.. The vet told my friend it isnt ear infection as cant see anything :roll: I told her he wont if its inner ear, hence me wanting the baytril still *bangs head on wall* Taking him back in tomorrow myself so god help the vet when he has me to deal with face to face, had so many run ins with him already due to his incompitance and refuse to see him, but erica is away until next week :(

Going to keep the anti biotics up for inner ear infection and still do course of panicur again.. i would of thought with them being wormed regularly he wouldnt of got E/C??

Is there anything else I can do, or demand tomorrow when i go back? This vet doesnt like being told but you have to with him :roll:

If its an inner ear infection (it does sound like it, my bun has one at the moment and is presenting with the same symptoms) then baytril might not be a potent enough antibiotic, unless it is an especially high dose?
My bun Mimi was on Marbocyl for her infection, for 15 days. We *think* that the infection has now gone as shes very well in herself, but the damage done by the infection is still causing head tilt and rolling. She has been on Meclizone from the start which is a human anti-vertigo drug which is supposed to help with her balance, so you might want to ask your vet about that aswell.
By the way, at first there was no visible signs of the infection in her ear, and my vet treated her with steroid injections :roll: It was only 5 days later that signs of infection became visible. (I cant help wondering if shed been on abx from the start, the infection might no have done so much damage :evil:)

Thanks.. Will mention these when i go back tomorrow. What does should the Marbocyl & Meclizone be at pr KG?

Hopper

What about metacam as an anti inflamatory and pain killer. If it is EC this is useful to help with the inflamation this horrible parasite causes to the brain. If it's not EC as I understand it, it is still a good pain relief so suitable for an ear infection which if they are anything like the ones humans have are very painful. I don't know the medication mentioned in the thread - are they the same as Metacam? Ask other RU members who are much more knowledgeable than me.

I bleach everything once a week now - 9 parts water / 1 part bleach (I use a litre jug) and a scrubbing brush then wash it all down with clean water. We have the plastic indoor cages where our buns sleep however I also use the same solution on the tiled and laminate floors - anything to reduce the risk.

I have read the same, the spores live for up to 28 days outside the body and can be carried on clothing / hands etc after touching one bun to another.

I was also told that a very high percentage of buns carry EC and that it can sometimes present when the bun is run down or has another illness / infection going on as it tends to 'come out' at times of stress.

I have also read that treatment with panacur (28day dose for all buns, the one with EC and the ones in contact with him / her) is the best bet. Our vet also told us to keep Buttercup eating but obviously that goes without saying as you would know this anyway.

Good luck, hang in there, it is a very long process but miracles DO happen.

My guess is that you have done everything right, you and your bun are just unlucky this time.

Best wishes

Ruth

yeh i am giving him metacam, always have that in.

I sterilise the whole kennel once a week also and the stuff inside..I keep it immaculate and i dont understand :( he hasnt been run down.. Ive sat thinking the other day, not sure if this is relevant, but neighbours kids were out the back and the kennel is on the side of garden they are where fence is.. They were revving up a moterbike right next to it so I shouted out for them to stop because of the rabbits.. I did go out and check them and they seem fine and had gone in sleeping part.. Maybe that stressed simba too much?

Update

Just to let you all know andrea has text me she has lost simba she is devastated

RIP simba :cry::cry::cry: Binky free at the bridge

Thank you.. I am gutted :(

He started spinning this morning and couldnt stop him so I held him firm to my chest and rushed to vets, we booked in for 12 anyway. We couldnt stop the spinning and he started fitting and his heart failed :(

I am so devasted.. He was a special boy and a proper peoples bunny.

Sleep tight my sweet boy x

Back