• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets At Home

i was just thinking about how rubbish PAH are (no offence -if anyone works there) but i got my two buns from them (but i want to rescue from now on) and they were twelve weeks old, so still quite young, but they gave us no advice what so ever on what we should and shouldnt eat....so we went home, feeding them all the veg in the world, thinking it was ok....then i researched up what they are allowed ( because they had runny poop) and then i found out they actually arent allowed loads of vegetables........:oops:

its so bad, the buns are lucky that the load of vegetables didnt end up really badly..............but they didnt even tell us........

It's very disappointing. It costs stores nothing to give out good advice but can make such a difference :(

have to say you shouldn't generalise when talking about such a huge chain of stores

they do vary in quality of staff, our local one is very good and the staff their give out excellent advice on animal care
They still sell baby rabbits, which we wish they stopped, but they don't sell half as many of these as they did a couple of years ago due to the staff trying their best to make people realise how much care and space a bun needs.

So yes some PAH stores need to up their standards, the chain as a whole need to stop selling livestock..but some of the staff in the stores do their very best to promote good animal care

If you feel your local one is not good then e mail head office and complain

have to say you shouldn't generalise when talking about such a huge chain of stores

they do vary in quality of staff, our local one is very good and the staff their give out excellent advice on animal care
They still sell baby rabbits, which we wish they stopped, but they don't sell half as many of these as they did a couple of years ago due to the staff trying their best to make people realise how much care and space a bun needs.

So yes some PAH stores need to up their standards, the chain as a whole need to stop selling livestock..but some of the staff in the stores do their very best to promote good animal care

If you feel your local one is not good then e mail head office and complain

Agreed and that's also why I put "stores" and not "them" in my reply - I didn't want to single out PAH but probably didn't make this clear :)

Yeah I must admit that much as I'm not a big fan, they are waaaaaaaaaay better than most independent pet shops I've seen. At least they now sell decent sized hutches which means that as people visit PAH for whatever reason, they can at least see that rabbits should be in large hutches and perceptions are slowly changing. Most independent shops still sell hutches that I would barely put a hamster in :roll:

I am not a fan of P@H, but there are obviously some stores that are better than others.

I'm surprised that you weren't given the correct information. P@H even have rabbit care information on their website.

http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Info_10601_feeding-your-rabbit_-1_10551

Perhaps this has not been communicated to all of the staff via the 'extensive training' that P@H claims to carry out.:?

I agree with others, send an email to Head Office and tell them about the problems. If they don't know, they can't improve.

There are good and bad P@H the same with any chain of stores, but I dont think the onus lies completely with them. If someone is going to go out and buy a pet, whether it be a rabbit or a horse, I would have expected them to have done some research first too and at least know the basics. I dont think it's fair to entirely blame the store.

Back