• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybun ever had this toothy problem?

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Norman has teeth trouble :roll:

He only has 1 bottom tooth through and then a lump under his jaw which the vet thinks may be the other bottom tooth growing out instead of up :shock:

He also has a spur on his back teeth.

That aside the vet says that he is in great condition and he is eating his pellets, veg and tonnes of hay and grass.

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Yes :wave:

The tooth roots can become elongated, and can cause infection. If the lump feels a little soft, then it could be an abscess. In extreme cases the tooth root can come straight through the jaw bone.

An x-ray would be good idea to see what treatment is most suitable.

Thank you for the reply - there is no soft lump - just a sharp pointy bit. :?

If it is the root coming through the jaw bone do you know what the options would be?

Thank you for the reply - there is no soft lump - just a sharp pointy bit. :?

If it is the root coming through the jaw bone do you know what the options would be?

Is it an incisor/front tooth?

Removal of the tooth is the best way to solve the problem, but this might not be possible if the jaw bone is damaged or if the tooth isn't loose enough. An x-ray will show if removal is possible.

What treatment has your vet suggested?

It is a front tooth yes.

The vet spotted it when I took 4 of the buns for their myxi jabs a couple of weeks ago, he gave them all a good check over.

He said that because he was in such good condition he would leave the front tooth problem alone for now but to keep a very close eye on him. The back spur needs sorting out.

I also said that I would pop him over to the rodentologist that looks after my piggies - we are hopefully going over this week so will see what he says, and he should be able to have a look at the spur without anesthetic.

I just wondered if anyone had been through similar problems and what to expect.

It's really difficult to give any advice before diagnostics have been done.

Here is a copy of a PM I sent to Bunnyaddict when her Noah got an abscess...the content should apply to Norman's situation too:

The best chance for Noah is if the entire abscess capsule is removed, along with the problematic teeth and roots...although surgery like this is only possible if there is little or no bony involvement (diseased bone is brittle and surgery could cause the jaw to crumble away). An x-ray will tell you if the infection is in the bone, and how brittle the bone is.

If your vet opts for surgery, then the best thing is probably to insert antibiotic beads into the wound after removal. However if the abscess drains into the mouth, this can't be done because of the toxicity of antibiotics if taken orally.

If the wound can't be packed with antibiotics, then you'll need to use systemic antibiotics like penicillin or ceporex.You could get a c&s test done when the abscess is removed to see what bacteria you are dealing with and what antibiotic would be most effective.

Some vets will stitch the wound open, and tell you to clean it out every day. In theory this is a good idea, but my vet feels that in practice it is painful for the rabbit and fiddly for the owner. Obviously not all vets will feel the same as mine, but I think you have to take into account the age of the rabbit and whether you want to subject them to this regime for possibly the rest of their life. I guess it's the old quantity versus quality debate?

Thank you again for your reply, however there does not appear to be an abscess at all - it is just a bony lump.

I know only too well what an abscess is like as my guinea pig has one on her jaw which I drain every day and have done for the last 6 months :shock:

I know that no one can diagnose without an x ray and certainly not over the internet, but I was wondering if treatment of any sort is necessary if he is otherwise very happy and healthy - eating, drinking, pooing and generally being a bouncy bunny!

Back