• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected E.C and dental advice please

Bunny_mad

Alpha Buck
I need some advice please. We took all of our buns in for there myxi jabs and whilst we were there the vet checked all of there teeth. We have 2 buns who need a check in 2 months and 2 that need there teeth burred (I think that's the right word) however Bumble our eldest Dutch bunny, approx 2.5 years has been loosing weight so we obviously brought this up and she said her teeth need doing but there not that bad to stop her eating. She then suggested E.C. I don't know much about it but I really don't think it is the right diagnosis as she has no other signs, she is just a little underweight. She is on a course of Panacur and has a dental early next month. Bumble is part of a bonded trio so we thought maybe she was getting bullied at feeding time so we monitored her and nothing they were all happy. We the. Had her out to eat on her own and no problems eating. She eats tons of hay! I just don't know what it is. She is happy in herself. We wondered if we should bring her in but it risks breaking the bond and her being alone. I'm worried and can't bear the thought of loosing her, I know I shouldn't have a faviroute but I do and she is it. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions . BTW she was 1.34kg's. Sorry for rambling and excuse mistakes. I'm on my iPhone on the bus on the way to work.

Agreed its strange the vet said EC without any other symptoms, but thats just my opinion. I think it will be the teeth. Can you get her seen to quicker than a months time for her teeth?

I would not accept a diagnosis of EC based on weightloss and no diagnostics !!

What are you feeding her per day ?

Is she drinking alot ?

Are her poos small ?

Is she still losing weight- you need to be weighing her every 2-3 days.

Agreed its strange the vet said EC without any other symptoms, but thats just my opinion. I think it will be the teeth. Can you get her seen to quicker than a months time for her teeth?

It is baffling to me that she suggested E.C off the bat. This sounds terrible but we just had 7 myxi jabs, a vet bil for my door hamster to pts and other 'emergencies' this month. If she wasn't eating I would rush her in but she is eating really well. That's why I'm confused as she has lost weight despite this. The vet said they need doing but it's not an emergency. Does anyone know what I should expect to pay for a dental under anesthetic?

I would not accept a diagnosis of EC based on weightloss and no diagnostics !!

Is she drinking alot ?

Are her poos small ?

Is she still losing weight- you need to be weighing her every 2-3 days.

She is fed pellets, veg and unlimited hay

Is she drinking alot ? Are her poos small ?
This is hard to tell as she is outdoors in a bonded 3 and I have seen her drink and they do go through quite a lot in a day, 2 x a large bottle. As for her poo's I really can't tell. I will phone the vets in a sec.

All your help is really appreciated, if im slow to respond it's because I am at work.

She is fed pellets, veg and unlimited hay

Is she drinking alot ? Are her poos small ?
This is hard to tell as she is outdoors in a bonded 3 and I have seen her drink and they do go through quite a lot in a day, 2 x a large bottle. As for her poo's I really can't tell. I will phone the vets in a sec.

All your help is really appreciated, if im slow to respond it's because I am at work.

Re the food, how much quantity wise ?
What pellets ?

Large water bottle ?? a 500ml one ??

I would request a full blood profile, especially looking at Kidney/Liver function.
I would want this done before she has a GA.

Re the food, how much quantity wise ?
What pellets ?

Large water bottle ?? a 500ml one ??

I would request a full blood profile, especially looking at Kidney/Liver function.
I would want this done before she has a GA.

I think it is 500ml. They go through 1 - 2 depending. I have a giant, large lop and bumble in together. I have called the vet and they are calling back in a min.

Ok I will get bloods taken ASAP and I will request that before any GA. I am so worried now. Do you have any idea what it may be. I feel such a bad mummy, bunnies as so hard to read.

I think it is 500ml. They go through 1 - 2 depending. I have a giant, large lop and bumble in together. I have called the vet and they are calling back in a min.

Ok I will get bloods taken ASAP and I will request that before any GA. I am so worried now. Do you have any idea what it may be. I feel such a bad mummy, bunnies as so hard to read.

It may be as simple as molar spurs. It is 100% impossible to know for certain that there are no spurs if the oral examination is not done under sedation/GA.

Getting the blood profile done will give your Vet more to work with rather than just picking a diagnosis out of the air with very little to back it up.

I agree with Jane - buns vary tremendously in their sensitivity to molar spurs so if your vet has already seen some, they could well be the cause of the weight loss even if they don't seem to be clinically significant. If they are causing the slightest of discomfort, a 'funny feeling' in the mouth, or changing normal chewing action, your bun could well be slowing down slightly when eating and hence is losing weight.

When Santa last had a dental, my vet also found a spur that had grown into her cheek. She is checked very regularly and it wasn't possible to see it while she was conscious, so it's also possible that your bun has another dental issue a bit more 'hidden'.

Personally I would ask for pre-anaesthetic bloods and, assuming they are ok, having the dental before starting to look for other causes. Good luck xx

I'm still awaiting the vets call to discuss and get an appt booked in.

I am hoping it is just molar spurs but beofre a GA I will ensure bloods are taken to reduce the risk of loosing her. I'm worried sick and really want the vet to call ASAP. I just want her to be ok and I hope it is something straight forward.

Can I do anymore tohelp with there teeth. They have unlimited hay and restricted pellets and a small amout of veg. I just don't know what else I can change?

It sounds as if you're doing all you can - it's really about encouraging as much hay/grass eating as possible. I would also find out whether your vet simply files off the spurs or whether they burr them down lower. My vet burrs them back down to just above the gum as this reduces the pressure on the tooth roots and gives them a better chance to wear themselves evenly as they grow again - and this seems to reduce the time between dentals as well.

It sounds as if you're doing all you can - it's really about encouraging as much hay/grass eating as possible. I would also find out whether your vet simply files off the spurs or whether they burr them down lower. My vet burrs them back down to just above the gum as this reduces the pressure on the tooth roots and gives them a better chance to wear themselves evenly as they grow again - and this seems to reduce the time between dentals as well.

Thanks for this, I will be sure to find out. So now she is a 'dental bun' is that it for life? Will she need repeat dentals. It's not a problem I just wanted to know as it is £85 for a Dental at my vets under anesthetic (sp) so I need to get a plan in place to pay for the furture dentals for both my bunnies as I have another that needs one but is a good weight and doing just fine.

It's a bit difficult to say to be honest. Santa is a 'dental bun' - she's a nethie so has genetic malloclusion problems due to the shape of her face, and she needs dentals approx every 6 months (sometimes more, sometimes less).

On the other hand, Heather had one dental about 4 years ago and has never had another one since. Sometimes all it takes is for the teeth to be corrected nicely once and then with a continuing good diet, they can keep them properly worn down themselves. So you can't necessarily tell whether it's going to be a recurring problem or not, all you can do is feed a high fibre diet and keep a close eye out for any signs of problems (weight loss, slowing down eating, dribbling, tooth grinding, changes in the way food is chewed, dropping food, going off certain foods etc).

It's a bit difficult to say to be honest. Santa is a 'dental bun' - she's a nethie so has genetic malloclusion problems due to the shape of her face, and she needs dentals approx every 6 months (sometimes more, sometimes less).

On the other hand, Heather had one dental about 4 years ago and has never had another one since. Sometimes all it takes is for the teeth to be corrected nicely once and then with a continuing good diet, they can keep them properly worn down themselves. So you can't necessarily tell whether it's going to be a recurring problem or not, all you can do is feed a high fibre diet and keep a close eye out for any signs of problems (weight loss, slowing down eating, dribbling, tooth grinding, changes in the way food is chewed, dropping food, going off certain foods etc).

Thank you. The funny thing is it is my girlies with problems, the boys are fine which I find a bit odd.

I will get her in and get a diagnosis and see what happens, I can only do my best for her and I will not know anyhting until I have been to the vets. I just feel like it's my fault but it seems im doing all I can. I am just hoping its teeth problems otherwise there could be something alot worse. :(

Back