• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Felt sad for this bun

KB

Mama Doe
I was looking at Trade Me which is a bit like eBay.
Saw a sweet little lop girlie with a sad story. The old thrown over for a puppy scenario.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=293255910

I couldn't resist asking why the advertiser didn't want her to be with another rabbit in a new home.
It transpired that her vet & the pet shop had told her it would be stressful for the rabbit to be around another.
Stupidly I persisted & e mailed her back offering to take the rabbit but that I would look to get her vaccinated, desexed & bond her with a boy bun.
I wanted to be honest. I also included a link to the RWA info page about bunny bonding.
Of course I got a sarky reply & she said she was sure that the bunny would find a loving home with a family.
I had to hold back from suggesting that for $10 she was more likely to end up as a casserole.
Feel really c**p now. She could have been a lovely little wifebun for the wee boy I have just taken on.
Can't stop obsessing about the poor little bun now.
I should have either not looked on TM or should have not supplied information the advertiser didn't want to hear. :(:(

Why dont you email her back using a different email address and pretend to be someone else? ;)

Just tried to register to email them but couldnt do it. :evil: I dont want to take the rabbit on but i want to tell them that they need to consider the possiblity of letting the bunny be bonded.

The poor thing - its sooo sad. Kiwi Bron - i also have the same concerns!!

Why dont you email her back using a different email address and pretend to be someone else? ;)

Yeah had thought about that.
But its a bit tricky with the Trade Me rules.
I should have resisted trying to 'educate' her.
There will always be buns in need, I have to get a grip & realise I can't save them all or turn their owners into caring bunny savvy people.
Most of the time I'm fairly realistic but sometimes...... :cry:

Just taken a look at the link. She's certainly a very beautiful little lop.:love:

I can't understand how anyone could want to get rid of her and then get a puppy instead.:?

The sarky reply that "she was sure that the bunny would find a loving home with a family" is just appalling.:roll:

If you offered to take the rabbit, surely that would solve her "problem". Why an earth would she refuse?

It's interesting that the rabbit's seller has only been a member of Trade Me since March 2010 and has no other trades. Perhaps she joined just to get rid of the rabbit?:?

I see that the Trade Me terms prohibit selling rabbits as "auctions", but not as "classified ads". The "classified ads" section is just full of rabbits with the usual "free to good home" and "good on her own" descriptions plus the backyard breeders and their "baby rabbits - ready now".:cry:

Well done for trying. I hope that something can be done for this poor bun.:)

I'll get slated for this but if i felt that way then i would give her the money and take that bunny home....

Just taken a look at the link. She's certainly a very beautiful little lop.:love:

I can't understand how anyone could want to get rid of her and then get a puppy instead.:?

The sarky reply that "she was sure that the bunny would find a loving home with a family" is just appalling.:roll:

If you offered to take the rabbit, surely that would solve her "problem". Why an earth would she refuse?

It's interesting that the rabbit's seller has only been a member of Trade Me since March 2010 and has no other trades. Perhaps she joined just to get rid of the rabbit?:?

I see that the Trade Me terms prohibit selling rabbits as "auctions", but not as "classified ads". The "classified ads" section is just full of rabbits with the usual "free to good home" and "good on her own" descriptions plus the backyard breeders and their "baby rabbits - ready now".:cry:

Well done for trying. I hope that something can be done for this poor bun.:)

It's just horrid really.
Instead of getting emotional about one bunny (well I usually find several a week that I feel especially bad for:oops:) I need to figure out what I can do to stop people being able to sell animals on there at all.
Its a massive problem & has huge implications for numbers being seen in the rescue.
Have a bunny geek pal coming over at the weekend who is a lawyer perhaps we can hatch a plan.

I'll get slated for this but if i felt that way then i would give her the money and take that bunny home....

Yes but I burnt that bridge by being honest & I can't see how I can now get around the rules of TM, she'll know its me.

Just tried to register to email them but couldnt do it. :evil: I dont want to take the rabbit on but i want to tell them that they need to consider the possiblity of letting the bunny be bonded.

The poor thing - its sooo sad. Kiwi Bron - i also have the same concerns!!

Probably best if she isn't emailed as I will get banned then I can't keep an eye on whats going on!
People do actually end up getting SPCA inspectors dropping by if they post pics showing obvious cruelty situations.
So its good to be able to actually report those sort of sellers.

If you have fallen for her and desperately want her Id get a friend to sign up and get her for you!

Back