• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore nose because of run...

Smithyrock

Warren Scout
Wasn't sure if this should go in behaviour or health so put it in both:

Benjy is an indoor rabbit but has a run outside. About a week ago I noticed a little patch of fur missing off his face. Concerned I looked on-line and the only thing it seemed to suggest was some form of skin might. It was really strange as there was no scratch, it was almost as if it had been shaved off! Anyway, I decided to give him a couple of days of close monitoring and he was fine in himself and the hair was growing back with no sign of redness/ broken skin etc. Anyhooooo... I've realised that when he's in his run he's rubbing his nose against the bars to the point where he's made a red mark just above his nose. He did this even though my son and I were in the garden with him at the time. Should I just give up on him being outside altogether? Seems such as shame when it's nice weather.

How big is his run and how much does he have to play with in there and hide in?

Also, a vet check up just to rule out mites or fungal infection or something else might be a good idea unless you are certain it is the bars causing it. How large are the gaps in the bars?

It's about 5ftx6ft and he's a dwarf. To be honest, he didn't have anything in there today except water bowl but normally has tunnel x2 and a treat ball. I tend to move it around the garden and as we were only out for an hour or so I didn't pull out all his toys. My friend suggested trying a bigger run but I was worried to do so incase I would have the same problem. My dad made my first one but it was two small so he made a bigger one but would feel too cheeky to ask for a third! It's wire mesh around edge, do you thin that makes any difference?x

Sorry, just read second part of your post. It's defo against mesh as saw him doing it! Took him out straight away and he seems happy as Larry now just hopping around living room. I'd guess gaps in mesh is just over 0.5 cm.x

Is he trying to chew the bars or something? Did he do it last time when you were out there? Does he do it when he can't see you? I'm wondering if it is attention seeking and this is reinforced by your taking him out immediately as a response to his behaviour? Our bunny Poppy does this sometimes when she is in the run...she can spend forever with her face pressed up against the wire - the most unattractive thing ever! :lol: We call her Piggy Poppy when she does this cos she looks just like a little pig! :lol: Letting her out to run around the garden immediately is exactly what she wants or giving her attention for it - has same effect - she does it more. If we are not there she doesn't do it - i've watched her from a window in the house.

The other thing i'm thinking about is how safe he feels in an open run with nowhere to hide at all?? He must feel pretty vulnerable especially if he is used to the security of your house. Rabbits are a prey species after all and really fear things overhead naturally. It is very important that everytime he goes out you provide him with somewhere to hide - a large cardboard box with two holes in (in and out), a tunnel as you would normally, a little house, den, etc certainly a few hidey holes are very important. Our buns have lots and it really does add to their security. I wonder if he feels very unsafe and is desperate to get out to somewhere he can take shelter from predators? Even if there aren't any this is a natural instinct.

I would still be making sure this missing patch of fur isn't mites or fungal, and isn't associated with any runny eyes, nose or mouth either. :?

He defo doesn't have runny eye/ mouth etc. Was thinking about previous post and realised that he has only done it twice and both of those times it's when I've been in the garden, he hasn't done it when I've put him in the run then went inside for a bit. I'll try putting him in with his tunnels etc and see how he goes. Anyway....I've found my old camera so I'm off to try and get some photos of him because I've been promising for ages!:lol:

Back