• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to avoid matts?

kerry-123

Mama Doe
I have four lionheads and I try to keep their bums clean I've even tried to trim the fur around the area, but Scooch is so jumpy I'm afraid of cutting her :shocked: so she gets the occasional small matt there, which I can manage to cut out without too much bother. I'm not sure why they are easier to cut out than just trimming the fur :confused: how can I avoid her getting matts?

I've got the same problem with my lionhead cross. I've tried trimming but I'm scared of getting too close. He was sooo matted when he first came to us that the vet shaved his biggest clumps and I got a dog groomer to trim some others but I can feel another clump. I can't bear to pin him down to do it so I don't know whether to leave it or call the dog groomer again - maybe he could get his nails trimmed again?

I'm meticulous about his living areas, brush him daily and used those citronella balls in the outhouse. I'm also checking him twice a day. He's off his food today but I think Its because he ate a lot yesterday and it's been hot today.

Mine actually rarely get matts despite Smudge being massively fluffy. I do brush them but not every day, probably about once a week. I wonder if his fur has thinned a bit as he's an indoor bun?

my little Batbunny has trouble with his back fur too, it matts easily despite being groomed often, I usually use a cat-grooming comb to gently detangle matts, but right now I'm having issues with his matted tail, which is gonna need a lot more then grooming to fix x_x

Back