• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could today get much worse? :(

KTJ

Alpha Buck
I don't think I've ever written such a negative post on RU, because I'm usually happy and sociable and can usually get through anything, but not today :(

Yesterday wasn't very good as Flopsy and Tiara (the new rescue bun meant to be Flopsy's partner) weren't getting on and having quite a few scraps, which in itself is exhausting and emotionally hard, as seeing 2 rabbits fighting is horrible.

Today I woke up determined I was going to be strong and spend the day with them, but within 10 seconds of putting them both in the bathroom together, a massive fight broke out, which resulted in Flopsy's ear bleeding, the top of Tiara's head bleeding and my finger having blood literally pouring out of it :( Obviously I separated them (one locked in the shower part) and had to call for help, as I faint easily especially when I see blood, so my Dad ended up putting the rabbits back in their separate hutches, whilst my Mum dealt with me. I passed out, and came round being told I needed A&E as my knuckle had split open, so I ended up having my finger glued :cry:

When I came back I was in such a mess I rang the rescue and asked if I could return Tiara as the bonding just felt like it would never work, so then me and my Mum drove over and dropped her off :cry::cry:

I know, deep down, I've done the right thing, because despite them starting off ok, there was always tension between them, and Tiara never seemed to relax around Flopsy, and was always "on guard".

Then, as if things couldnt get any worse, I began cleaning all the hutches out because spending time with rabbits always makes me feel better about everything, and guess what I found in Snuffles and Nutella'a bed? A DEAD RAT. Now there have been no signs of rats around here, and I spend all my time in the garden, and I don't see how a rat would've got in as the bars aren't far apart. I have checked my girls over, and my Dad dealt with the rat, and it appears neither have hurt eachother. My girls have been moved into the hutch Tiara was in so I can spend the next few days disinfecting it. My parents were ok about it, but no doubt I'll be blamed for the rat because why else would it be in our garden other than because I have rabbits?

Anyway, I am SO sorry for the rant. I am not usually like this, but I just feel that today is just terrible, and the people on here seem to be the only ones know know how hard it is to deal with things like rabbit bonding going wrong etc :cry:

I'd just like to add that Flopsy and Tiara's wounds were cleaned up by my Mum, and are both fine now, thank GOD

Last edited:
Oh Bless you!! Having a right time of it!!!
How that rat got in is beyond me....but at least nobun was harmed.
Im sorry Tiara went back....will you be finding another bun when you have recovered from today????
Big hugs,hun.Only a few more hours till its tomorrow.Hope things get better.xxxx

Im really sorry you are having a bad time of it, you are doing your best, things WILL get better you see. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:love:

Oh no, so sorry for your awful day! I don't know which part of it sounds worst! Wonder how the sneaky rat got in. So glad your buns weren't hurt by it.

Hope all the wounds heal ok.
________
Homemade bong

Last edited:
Thankyou for all your support, I REALLY appreciate it.

Yvette... I think I will leave it a week or 2, but yes, I probably will still try and find Flopsy a friend, because despite how horrible I have found it, I know it's the best thing for Flopsy. I didn't notice a difference in his behaviour when Tiara was there, but I think if I allow Flopsy to meet several other rabbits, I'm hoping that I'll just "feel" or see the right match. Flopsy was a lot more lively and active than Tiara, so I was hoping he would bring out her character, but it wasn't meant to be :( Thanks for the hugs, it means a lot xxx

Eurgh, what a horrible time you are having. Why is it that if one thing is going to go wrong, then everything else will as well?! Its no wonder you feel that things are overwhelming. But you sound like you have remained fairly calm in yourself and at all times done what you think are the right things for your animals and yourself. Bonding is so stressful, I had a failed bond when Starbuck and Fay had a nasty fight, and I dont think I will ever be brave enough to do it again so I know exactly where you are coming from on that one.

Hope the next few days are a bit better for you (or should that be A LOT!).

Oh no! I was going to PM you this morning too, to ask how the bonding was going. Don't blame yourself in anyway - rabbits can have a personality clash, like people.

Hugs for you, and noserubs for Flopsy. Hopefully the right wifey bun is out there and waiting.

Thank you SO much to everyone who has replied, you don't know how much the comfort and support means to me.

My boyfriend is taking me out for a meal tonight, I've just got ready then we're going to go out somewhere and have a couple of drinks, which is really sweet of him. Me and Will, have been together nearly 6 years (since we were 14!) and he understands how much I love my animals, and he's so good with them, Im very lucky to have him. Thanks again for the lovely replies, I know I don't know of you, but you are all so king and considerate, I do feel better (my finger doesn't though!) and I'm hoping tomorrow will be a different day and I can start again, and go back to being the happy me! xxx

Oh no, such a shame. Things always go wrong at the same time.

Could you not take her to a rescue for them to bond, that way theres a choice of several and isn't too stressful for you?

When I sent Blue and Honey off Honey was brill and so was the lasy that did them for us. She use to attack badly any bun she was near and thought she would be on her own forever

Hugs to you...everything all seems to go wrong at the same time, doesn't it?
I hope you luck changes for the better very soon. :wave:

Aw bless you what an awful day for you. :(

Hope Flopsy will be ok, though sounds like it. Am just the same with blood so can sympathise there! Have fainted a few times after being bitten by various animals..... it's not nice!

Wish I could advise on the rat situation but the only thing I can say is that they have the abillity to flatten their ribcage so can get through gaps you wouldn't expect them to be able to.

I too would second the idea of getting a rescue to bond for you - this is what we did - and it really is worthwhile doing it as if the bond doesn't work out you don't have the sadness of having brought an animal home to then have to return it. It must have been hard for you to take Tiara back but yes you do have to be sensible so don't beat yourself up over it xx

Lots of hugs for you and I really hope you enjoyed your meal out which was a lovely thing for your boyfriend to do! :love:

Thank you to everyone who replied, your support means more than I can express, and I am really appreciative.

I'm feeling a lot better today, and last night was lovely so hopefully once my finger is better (which is still surprisingly SO sore!!) I will continue my hunt to find Flopsy a friend. The rescue I adopted Tiara from very briefly asked if I'd like them to bond the rabbits for me, but I wanted to give it a go myself.... so I have definitely learnt my lesson and will be allowing the professionals to do their job next time, because I am just not cut out for it.
My plan this week (or next if funding is low) is to purchase the shed I want from B&Q for my girls, because that'll stop those pesky rats getting in, and it's something I've wanted to do for a long time, so here's to the future :lol:

I will try my best not to post such negative posts on here again, I realise everyone has their own problems which they have to deal with, but yesterday everything seemed to just get me down, and thanks to the people on here, I am feeling loadsssss better :D Thankyou :love:

your bonding approach is wrong. You can't bond them in a bathroom, it's too small, they would be naturally fighting for space.

You have to bond them in a large, neutral space like your backyard, and give it 30 min. per day. Limited space like bathroom is too confined, it makes thing worse

your bonding approach is wrong. You can't bond them in a bathroom, it's too small, they would be naturally fighting for space.

You have to bond them in a large, neutral space like your backyard, and give it 30 min. per day. Limited space like bathroom is too confined, it makes thing worse

Thank you for your input, but as this was the first time I have ever tried bonding rabbits, all the information I received was off this forum, so please do not accuse me of being in the wrong when I was simply following other people's advice!!

Back