• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Puffins

louise and Gus

Wise Old Thumper
I went to the Farne islands on Saturday to see Puffins, it was amazing :love:

Here are some pictures

RSCN0985.jpg

RSCN0984.jpg

RSCN0983.jpg

RSCN0982.jpg

RSCN0981.jpg

RSCN0979.jpg

There were other birds too

Razorbills
DSCN0962.jpg

Guillemots
DSCN0963.jpg

And Shags
DSCN0958.jpg

Also saw some seals from the boat :D

DSCN0918.jpg

Awesome! Glad you got to see puffins this time :D

Were you really, really close or is that a fantastic camera? (or both?)

Awesome! Glad you got to see puffins this time :D

Were you really, really close or is that a fantastic camera? (or both?)

We got really close, they were about 3m away or so in places :D Camera is ok but I really wanted a better one! It was absolutely amazing! We did get attacked by the Arctic Terns who were nesting everywhere so had to put hoods up :shock:

Wow crackin' pics!! I'm glad the thread got resurrected coz I missed it first time altho I knew you were going from another post!!

I cant even begin to tell you how jealous I am! My mum loves Puffins and I love photography and we want to go there to see them.
ARGH, its not fair!!!!

oooh i am going to have to pick your brain!

my mum always wanted to see puffins before she died but never got the chance. so i was going to go on a trip to see them for her.
where did you go? did you go on a boat to see them or can you just see them on a walk (im scared of water)
are they really close? whats the best time of year to go?

sorry for the questions. you have some fab photos! i love puffins! :)

oooh i am going to have to pick your brain!

my mum always wanted to see puffins before she died but never got the chance. so i was going to go on a trip to see them for her.
where did you go? did you go on a boat to see them or can you just see them on a walk (im scared of water)
are they really close? whats the best time of year to go?

sorry for the questions. you have some fab photos! i love puffins! :)

Ok well the two places to see them in the UK are unfortunately Islands, these Puffins were on Inner Farne which is off the coast north of Newcastle, the other good place is Skomer, which is off the south wales cost, so yeah a boat trip would be involved. There is a small colony at South Stack on Anglesey which is accessible without a boat trip, but there is only a few and you can't get that close like you can on Inner Farne

Late May - July is the breeding season and the only time in the year they are on land. I will let you know how Skomer was after I have been :)

I think it is a lovely idea to visit for your mum, maybe that thought can overcome your fear of water?

Back