• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Letting a neutered male and unspayed female live "next door" to each other?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
I'm thinking of moving Boris's enclosure (large cage + pen) downstairs,not only because of the noise he makes at night :roll: but because it tends to get too warm up here during the summer. He has problems with his tummy and changes in temperature appears to really affect him,he's not feeling well at all today,partially because of how hot it's in here at the moment. He's currently free ranging in the kitchen where it's cooler and seems to have perked up a wee bit :) So I'm therefore thinking of moving him downstairs. However there might be a problem. The only space available is the area right outside Bella's room. Bella is not spayed yet and can be very hormonal at times and although she might not actually be able to see him,I'm afraid that his presence would make her even more anxious. I'm also planning on getting her spayed in a few weeks time and eventually bond them. I don't want there to be any tension in case it'd make the bonding harder when the time comes,if you know what I mean? So what do you think? Would it be ok as long as they can't get to each other and as long as I don't let them free range in this area? Thanks in advance.

My personal opinion - I have an unspayed female and took bonding very slowly... let them see each other through the bars, changing over their litter trays to get used to their smell and finally one day I took the plunge and did it. To begin with, Noisette was extremley shy and reserved but now she bosses Oscar about :roll: They are sooo much in love and absolutley adore each other to pieces. Noisette can't be spayed because of chronic problems and she can be very hormonal at times, but because Oscar is so laid back he doesn't lash out at all... he's very very submissive and I actually think he ENJOYS a girl bossing him about :lol::lol:

You should only do it if you are completley sure. If you have any doubts, I would leave it until she has been spayed and her hormones have died down. It might make it easier for you when it comes to bonding, otherwise the past experiences may imprint in her mind and you might have some difficulty. If she seems willing to bond, I would definatley take the slow approach and let them see each other etc... I found it very successful for me :)

Hi im not the most experienced person but i think that it would be ok. My two have been living next to each other for a few months now i was waiting until she* was old enough to be spayed but turns out she is a he :lol: anyway they both seem to be completely content with each other now and even go over to each other for kisses through the bars :love: and trev will rather eat with bailey than eat on his own now! and if your going to bond them then i tihink that it might be a good idea as they will get used to each others smell and it should make bonding easier :D hope this helps sorry for rambling :lol:

Well..I suppose I might as well try moving him down there then? And see how they react? If there is aggression being displayed I obviously shouldn't let them get to each other at all until she's spayed. They have met before but only briefly and with bars in between,and there was a bit of tension naturally but never did I see any signs of aggression,Bella just completely ignored him that time :lol: I'm not sure how Boris would react to being bossed around :lol: but I do have a feeling he might be the more submissive one of the two.

I bonded Zion with his 1st wife when she was unspeyed and that was fine - I think it depends on the bunny and their temperament. I split their living quarters and they lived next to eachother for a week and then I spent a weekend bonding them on neutral territory which was quite uneventful and then Fia was speyed and Zion stayed with her the whole time. They really loved eachother and was very sad when Fia went to the bridge :(

It can be done but as I say it depends on the bunny. Fia was an ex-breeding bun and despite this she wasn't really looking to be mated.

Good luck

Back