• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT Rabbitty vets open today East Anglia/Beds/London???

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Long story but in short ...

A person I met in the past at my rabbity vets needs help TODAY with a rabbit that's stopped eating.

The local emergency vets are c**p (we have tried complaining etc) and although she is taking rabbit there she fears they will not help (she has had 2 rabbits die in the past after going there).

She is prepared to try anywhere else if they are rabbity and open on Bank Hol Monday.

anyone know of one?

Oh dear, I doubt there are any. Even Companion Care are closed on a bank holiday Monday... :( Hope you find one.

Oh dear, I doubt there are any. Even Companion Care are closed on a bank holiday Monday... :( Hope you find one.

Really? I don't think ours are? But then I haven't checked! Companion Care outsource to Vets Now for emergencies. Do you have one of those near you? We've found our local Vets Now to be excellent on every occasion.

We have a Vets 24 - as mentioned above they the local branch are NOT rabbity.

Anyone know if medivet at Hendon are rabbity now - I went to them years ago in the past but the vets seems to have changed,

We have a Vets 24 - as mentioned above they the local branch are NOT rabbity.

Anyone know if medivet at Hendon are rabbity now - I went to them years ago in the past but the vets seems to have changed,

Oh sorry :oops: I didn't realise that was them.
Maybe post in rabbit chat Parsnipbun - more members online over there atm who might be able to recommend someone :wave:

Really? I don't think ours are? But then I haven't checked! Companion Care outsource to Vets Now for emergencies. Do you have one of those near you? We've found our local Vets Now to be excellent on every occasion.

I'm pretty sure they are closed anyway (don't want to ring them to check in case someone answers!! :lol: ) Yep, I've found my local Vets Now to be quite good in a bunny emergency. Haven't used them for guinea pigs etc though...

I thought they were open? I've certainly been there as normal on a bank hol mon before. Think the only days they are closed are Christmas day, Easter Sunday and maybe new year's day (although I'm not even sure about that one!) They are definitely open most bank hols.

If there is a Companion Care nearby it might be worth just turning up - ours charge about £40 for an 'emergency appointment' if you're not registered there but they're hardly going to turn someone away who is physically standing there with an ill animal, and if the emergency vets are known to be hopeless, then it might be worth a go :? Bit of a gamble and it's going to be really dependent on the individual vet, but as CC are inside Pets at Home they probably see a lot of rabbits so may keep a bit more up-to-date with bunny medicine? The Chelmsford branch of companion care are pretty good, depending on whereabouts she is.

Hope she manages to sort something xx

Last edited:
The RVC clinic is open, they are reasonably rabbity. They are the OOH for almost all local vets near me e.g. village vet etc and the phone gets automatically diverted to them.

I thought they were open? I've certainly been there as normal on a bank hol mon before. Think the only days they are closed are Christmas day, Easter Sunday and maybe new year's day (although I'm not even sure about that one!) They are definitely open most bank hols.

If there is a Companion Care nearby it might be worth just turning up - ours charge about £40 for an 'emergency appointment' if you're not registered there but they're hardly going to turn someone away who is physically standing there with an ill animal, and if the emergency vets are known to be hopeless, then it might be worth a go :? Bit of a gamble and it's going to be really dependent on the individual vet, but as CC are inside Pets at Home they probably see a lot of rabbits so may keep a bit more up-to-date with bunny medicine? The Chelmsford branch of companion care are pretty good, depending on whereabouts she is.

Hope she manages to sort something xx

Yes, sorry, I think I'm talking nonsense... I think they are open whatever days the Pets at Home shop is open.

Yes, sorry, I think I'm talking nonsense... I think they are open whatever days the Pets at Home shop is open.

alas our local companion care is also rubbish . . . guess anyone that is rabbity in our area works at our (normal hours) vets -

the things i could tell you about CC and Vets 24 locally . . .

If she goes to a Medivet she better be prepared to re-mortgage her house.........

I hope you manage to find a Vet who can help.

Shame about your local companion care, ours is quite good. Agree with Jane's comments about Medivet - did you see the thread yesterday about £415 to stitch a bunny wound, and that wasn't even emergency rates!

I have a feeling the RVC clinic is Potters Bar, Herts. Edit: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/qmh/index.cfm think this might be it?

Shame about your local companion care, ours is quite good. Agree with Jane's comments about Medivet - did you see the thread yesterday about £415 to stitch a bunny wound, and that wasn't even emergency rates!

I have a feeling the RVC clinic is Potters Bar, Herts. Edit: http://www.rvc.ac.uk/qmh/index.cfm think this might be it?

gosh! beats the £150 at our vets 24 for a consultation out of hours!

Will tell her about RVC as have feeling that its only Guy Carter at Watford Medivet thats rabbity.

If its any help the milton keyns hospital at walnut tree has always been really good with our bunnies. Not sure that there is always the same vets on, but we used them 3 times over the past month and have no complaints and the facilities are fab :wave:

Pets at Home vets are open 362 days a year, so I think today would not class as a major bank holiday for closure.

Our vets have a 24 hour emergency on call vet and it is staffed by the 6 vets at the practice.

http://www.orwellvets.co.uk/

they have above average rabbit knowledge (I've sort of dragged them through) but they are not in the league of those who REALLy know (like Jan'es vet, etc). They are, however, very caring and don't PTS routinely, etc. They've never let mine down.

They are in Ipswich.

Long story but in short ...

A person I met in the past at my rabbity vets needs help TODAY with a rabbit that's stopped eating.

The local emergency vets are c**p (we have tried complaining etc) and although she is taking rabbit there she fears they will not help (she has had 2 rabbits die in the past after going there).

She is prepared to try anywhere else if they are rabbity and open on Bank Hol Monday.

anyone know of one?

Companion cars peterborough are pretty good or broadway vets in Peterborough, although not sure if they are open.

Back