• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fibreplex

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Twinkle is eating fresh grass and veggies nicely now after her statis and the vet has given me a tube of fibreplex to give her twice daily. I just cannot get it into her and got a bite from her this morning whilst trying... she also got some of it in her eye :shock:

Is it that essential if she is now eating greenery on her own? She has a small amount of hay too I think.

Thanks

Alvin wont take it either :evil: i started just mixing the avipro plus into mushed banana to get the good bacteria into him after stasis.

i think i have half an unused tube i havent chucked out yet :roll:

Its not the easiest is it :roll:

Especially when you are squeezing and squeezing the plunger if you are lucky enough to be near the bunny's mouth, and then it all just shoots out in one big blob and lands all over her face :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: not laffing honest :lol::lol::lol:

i wont bother buying anymore, i cant see the difference it makes tbh

Poor Twinkle, she actually got a blob in her eye... I think we have it all out, but didnt want to make her feel uncomfortable after what she been through..

Will she eat it if it's mixed with some Veg ?

If you really cant get it into her then perhaps you could obtain a water soluable probiotic. Whilst they do not contain the added fibre they do at least contain the pre/probiotics.

Will she eat it if it's mixed with some Veg ?

If you really cant get it into her then perhaps you could obtain a water soluable probiotic. Whilst they do not contain the added fibre they do at least contain the pre/probiotics.

I tried it with grated carrot last night which she refused.. have got some banana this morning, so will try a fibreplex banana sandwich as she used to love banana...

Probiotics in water is on its way to me.. ordered some from the Hay Experts last week so should be here tomorrow .. thanks Jane.

All good ideas! Thanks

The vet has just rung to check up on Twinkle and he said not to worry about the Fibreplex if she is eating fresh stuff quite nicely...

Try running the tube under warm water first, my vets said this helps loosen it, so it doesn't squirt out in a sudden blob.

Try running the tube under warm water first, my vets said this helps loosen it, so it doesn't squirt out in a sudden blob.

I'm convinced they've got stiffer those plungers! :roll: I have to get my OH to do it as i'm physically not strong enough to depress some of the tubes we have had - definite design flaw! I'm not sure what is worse - splurting it suddenly into bun's eye or splurting it suddenly into a bunny mouth that is desperate for his medicine and already has the entire nozzle down his throat! :roll::lol:
They also seem to have changed the consistency of the product - it used to be very thick and grainy and bright orange, and is now a pale translucent liquid :?

I would suggest biolapis as a good water soluble probiotic, I don't think it contains the added sugar that the Avipro products do... which puts me off using them altogether.
Protexin also do a pro-fibre pellet with added probiotic:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-su...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178
Which I think is a great daily probiotic if bun needs ongoing support. :wave:

I'm convinced they've got stiffer those plungers! :roll: I have to get my OH to do it as i'm physically not strong enough to depress some of the tubes we have had - definite design flaw! I'm not sure what is worse - splurting it suddenly into bun's eye or splurting it suddenly into a bunny mouth that is desperate for his medicine and already has the entire nozzle down his throat! :roll::lol:
They also seem to have changed the consistency of the product - it used to be very thick and grainy and bright orange, and is now a pale translucent liquid :?
I would suggest biolapis as a good water soluble probiotic, I don't think it contains the added sugar that the Avipro products do... which puts me off using them altogether.
Protexin also do a pro-fibre pellet with added probiotic:
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-su...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178
Which I think is a great daily probiotic if bun needs ongoing support. :wave:

We had one like that: it just seemed to be oil. I assumed it was faulty. The rest of the batch was thick and gritty like normal. I would take it back and ask them to swap it xx

We had one like that: it just seemed to be oil. I assumed it was faulty. The rest of the batch was thick and gritty like normal. I would take it back and ask them to swap it xx

We thought this too and binned the first one - but ALL the tubes we have had since have been like this - from vet AND from vetuk before they sold out! :? Perhaps we should find out from manufacturer?

We thought this too and binned the first one - but ALL the tubes we have had since have been like this - from vet AND from vetuk before they sold out! :? Perhaps we should find out from manufacturer?

Yep, worth giving them a ring. I'll try to remember tomorrow. I suspect a faulty batch. It seems odd that there were both oily ones and normal ones in the same batch ( I checked the batch no.) :?

We went through a phase of getting really solid tubes- they have been a lot better recently- I don't know if it depends on how long they are stored, how they are stored or the temp they are stored at. If you get a dud take it back to the vet- its the only way the manufacturers will sort out the problem and you shouldn't have to pay for something you can't use.

We went through a phase of getting really solid tubes- they have been a lot better recently- I don't know if it depends on how long they are stored, how they are stored or the temp they are stored at. If you get a dud take it back to the vet- its the only way the manufacturers will sort out the problem and you shouldn't have to pay for something you can't use.

Like I say, all latest tubes we have got from two different sources are like this so we assumed they had changed the product and used them :? Didn't seem to cause any harm and bun got better. :)

Chloe my rabbit would not entertain Fibreflex, from the plunger. However because she use to drink her water from a bowl, I use to put it in the water. It is very oily, and take a while to mix into the water, but she use to drink it.

Mischa loves the stuff, which is frustrating cos he never needs it so when I try to give it to Mini he rushes over and sticks his mouth over the tube. :roll:

Back