• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you go to see a rabbit show?

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
Tomorrow i am going to the Northumberland County Show. There will be a large tent there showing rabbits and guinea pigs. A part of me wants to go and look at the rabbits because i think they are beautiful, but a bigger part of me refuses to look at them because of all of the circumstances involved in show animals. ( and i cant stand to see the children sticking their fingers and lollies into the tiny cages demanding to have a pet rabbit)
:roll:I think i have just answerd my own question:roll::lol:
What would you do??

I'd go and would be complaining in a VERY LOUD VOICE about all the things that I didn't like :D

I'd have to have a look at the bunnies just to make sure they all looked ok because if they didn't I'd have to say something :)

I wouldn't cuz I'm really strongly against them. If you're feeling brave you could go, and hand out some decent rabbit care leaflets.

I've been to one. Mostly it was 'ok'. what was most interesting was seeing all the different types of bunnies.

yup, I have been to a few and am taking ma wee lad to one in a few weeks. He has a good time running about like crazy jumping:lol: loves all the attention aswell:)

My friend goes to a few in the summer, as some rabbits would have died if she hadn't gone. It's sweltering in the tents, and it's only recent that the rabbit's have to have water!! :shock: :evil: One year she had to deal with a Frenchie with heatstroke....the stewards were :censored: and in the end she soaked a towel and put it over this buns cage, and tried to get water into him through the bars (he was in direct sunlight with no water.) The stewards said that they couldn't do anything....:evil: :roll: If it wasn't for her then he would have died. ....it turns out that two other buns died during the show. :evil::evil: These breeders I find unacceptable! :evil::evil: Don't see the point in showing!

It's a toss up between not going on principle, and going and checking how the buns are...possibly having to cause a big fuss!

I am leaving for the County show now, but i am still undecided wether i should look in the rabbit tent. It could totally depress me and spoil my day, but I rarely see other rabbits apart from my own as i dont go into pet shops, so curiosity may get the better of me.:roll:

I am leaving for the County show now, but i am still undecided wether i should look in the rabbit tent. It could totally depress me and spoil my day, but I rarely see other rabbits apart from my own as i dont go into pet shops, so curiosity may get the better of me.:roll:

If you do decide to go see them then no one will blame you! All bunnies are gorgeous! :love: Just be ready to be upset about the conditions they are in.

My friend goes to a few in the summer, as some rabbits would have died if she hadn't gone. It's sweltering in the tents, and it's only recent that the rabbit's have to have water!! :shock: :evil: One year she had to deal with a Frenchie with heatstroke....the stewards were :censored: and in the end she soaked a towel and put it over this buns cage, and tried to get water into him through the bars (he was in direct sunlight with no water.) The stewards said that they couldn't do anything....:evil: :roll: If it wasn't for her then he would have died. ....it turns out that two other buns died during the show. :evil::evil: These breeders I find unacceptable! :evil::evil: Don't see the point in showing!

It's a toss up between not going on principle, and going and checking how the buns are...possibly having to cause a big fuss!

That's awful! If I was her I'd have called the RSPCA and the police! Well done to her for helping the frenchie though
There is no way on earth I would ever subject a bunny of mine to the ordeal of a show. There is nothing in it for them except stress and risk of suffering.
I would go into a rabbit tent at a show but only to check the bunnies were ok xx

I have to say I definitely would not go - I feel there is something very uncomfortable about them & would probably get asked to leave by saying too much! :shock::oops:

Just my feelings, as I don't think prey animals should be on show :(

I went to the herts county show on saturday and there were signs everywhere telling people not to touch and noone was - even the small people :) it was a bit sad to see them in tiny cages though... but they were fed and watered.

Back