• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you have to bath a Guinea Pig??

Only if they get smelly or dirty! We had a pair of white ones and they would lie on newspapers and end up dirty, so they had a bath every so often. The others have all had occasional baths too. They fit nicely in the kitchen sink!

Only if they get smelly or dirty! We had a pair of white ones and they would lie on newspapers and end up dirty, so they had a bath every so often. The others have all had occasional baths too. They fit nicely in the kitchen sink!

So just like a little dog??

Keep head and ears dry? Scrubby scrubb scrubb with suitable shampoo in warm water and wash the facey with a soft cloth?? Towel dry and watch em go!!?? :p

I bathe my boys they stink of their old house and are greasy! If you use gorgeous guineas shampoo you can do it about once a month, and if you go for a boy he will get greasy around his gland :) I think really you are meant to do it every 3 or 4 months. What guinea pig forum are you using?

So just like a little dog??

Keep head and ears dry? Scrubby scrubb scrubb with suitable shampoo in warm water and wash the facey with a soft cloth?? Towel dry and watch em go!!?? :p

Pretty much, yeah! You can get special small animal shampoo. We had a pair with mites once and I think we had to bath them with special shampoo a few times. They quite enjoyed it!

I bathe my boys they stink of their old house and are greasy! If you use gorgeous guineas shampoo you can do it about once a month, and if you go for a boy he will get greasy around his gland :) I think really you are meant to do it every 3 or 4 months. What guinea pig forum are you using?

I would recommend Gorgeous Guineas - they sell some lovely stuff. I haven't been brave enough to bath my two yet though...... :oops:

My boy is incredibly clean in himself, it's his house which he wreaks havoc on. :lol: I only bath them if necessary. :)

I would recommend Gorgeous Guineas - they sell some lovely stuff. I haven't been brave enough to bath my two yet though...... :oops:

Yes, gorgeous guineas do beautiful things. Pete Gurney who is my favourite guinea guru (sadly died) was always washing his piggies.

It's called 'The Guinea Pig Forum!!:lol:

Flip! Hope I can bath guinea pigs. Think I have a man who will give me a long haired guinea girley. He's a breeder but doesnt sell to the public. He will just give me one he is finished showing! Don't know what that's about but he sounds responsible. Apparently guineapigs finish showing around 9 months old. He doesnt do away with his so he has some he could let go. Hair is 8 inches long!!!:shock:

Yes, I bath my piggies. I don't do them hugely often, but I do find it keeps their skin better - guinea pigs are very prone to skin issues.

edit: believe it or not, there are lots of people on both forums! :lol:

Just keep the hair cut shorter ;)

They have it really long for showing, but it can be cut to a more manageable length for every day piggies.

Haha I'm on there too. Ooo sounds like a lot of brushing and combing in store for you ;)

Apparently when you finish showing (I no nothing about this) you trim their hair because they might start to nibble it. He spends 20 min per guinea pig - platting, wrapping or what ever it is you do with their hair!!! I guess you're not going to waste time on ones that arent showing. So he will trim her hair for me. I'll have to keep it trimmed I think.

What have I got myself in to!!??:lol: Will have to think of a glamorous name for her. My rescue will either be Eric, or Maurice (after Maurice Chivalliet - the lips you know!!) He's called Max at the min but I don't think he suits it. Need a girlie, glamorous name for his long haired lover!

Last edited:
Back