• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering and rearguarding

Grace65

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone :wave:
Ok my gracie and charlie are both due to be neutered this coming weds, i took charlie for his initial check up and myxi last mon the day after i got him and as he`s on eye drops AND im currently worming him, i havent rearguarded him and grace as yet.
This might sound really daft but as they are both in for the op should i hold back on rearguarding until a while after the op or should i do it now?
Julie xxxxxxxxx

Personally I'd hold fire for a while to save overloading their systems, particularly with a GA also.

Just out of interest why are you using Rearguard?

OK, I asked cos routine use of something like Rearguard is really unnecessary imo provided you use good rabbit husbandry i.e keep them cleaned out very regulary, ensure their butts are clean and dry etc.
If you have a bun thgat can't/doesn't keep itself clean then it would be prudent to use something like Rearguard, but not for a fit, healthy rabbit.

I bought Rearguard once for one of my buns when I was going on hols and leaving her with someone else, but after reading all the potential side effects I steered clear as its obviously quite a potent mix!

OK, I asked cos routine use of something like Rearguard is really unnecessary imo provided you use good rabbit husbandry i.e keep them cleaned out very regulary, ensure their butts are clean and dry etc.
If you have a bun thgat can't/doesn't keep itself clean then it would be prudent to use something like Rearguard, but not for a fit, healthy rabbit.

I bought Rearguard once for one of my buns when I was going on hols and leaving her with someone else, but after reading all the potential side effects I steered clear as its obviously quite a potent mix!

I see, hmm well they are def kept clean im just very paranoid about flies and things, i did ask the vets and he agreed if there seems a lot of flies about then use rearguard, i think when they on the grass a lot they do tend to get a little bit of a squidgy poo sometimes so thats what made me use the rearguard, only during the summer though, maybe the vet thinks it stops me worrying.

Back