• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

babies

demelza

Warren Scout
are baby rabbits ok to eat green, apple, carrot etc that i give to mum. also are they ok to go out in the run for up to 6 hours a day which i'll built up over time. babies are about 2/3 weeks old

are baby rabbits ok to eat green, apple, carrot etc that i give to mum. also are they ok to go out in the run for up to 6 hours a day which i'll built up over time. babies are about 2/3 weeks old

Unfortunately they're too young for all those greens. Take mum out and put her in the run, by all means though. So long as the babies are warm enough in the nest they won't suffer, as mum'll be feeding them at night anyway. Don't give them ANY fruit - v. bad for them. In fact steer clear of all veg until they're at least 6/7 weeks old, and then only introduce them v. gradually.

Now, we need pictures! :D

I dont feed veg to my little ones until they are 12 weeks, My kits go out for the first time at 3 weeks old, but not for very long...about an hour at the most.

I dont feed veg to my little ones until they are 12 weeks, My kits go out for the first time at 3 weeks old, but not for very long...about an hour at the most.

Here, here. Their little guts are just too sensitive until they are older. If they get runny bottoms it can kill them so quickly and veg so often causes digestive upsets in baby buns.

I agree with the others, way to young for fruit. The babies here were nibbling on mummys spring greens but i mainly fed mummy weeds (dandelions etc) and then obviously the dry food :)

I did refrain from giving mummy too many greens as i was scared of the babies eating them :? Hence the weeds etc

I'm going to beg to differ :oops: (edit: cross posted with Becky86 - I agree with her!) Wild baby bunnies eat greens as soon as they emerge from the burrow, they don't avoid them until they're over 4 months old, so why do we say that captive ones should :?

Personally I think that as long as mum has a healthy, balanced diet based mainly on hay, that babies should be fed the same as mum. But having said that, I think that only really translates if mum is having leafy green type veg not sweet sugary ones like carrot and fruits like apple - which she shouldn't have much of anyway.

Back