• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miracle Bunnies

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
We have a lot of exceptional bunnies on the forum, that generally grab the forum as a whole and become important to the whole forum.

Individually we have our rabbits and they are all special to us in their own ways and for their own reasons and we are able to see and appreciate that completely.

I don't know how to word this articulately, to say what I'm trying to say.

Not everyone has had a bunny who has captured the hearts of the forum, even if we wish that their stories or battles or personality had. Just wondered if anyone else sometimes feels sad for their bunny/ies that even though we as owners know how amazing they are or how inspirational they are, they don't capture people in the same way other bunnies do?

That sounds REALLY silly, and I can't quite word what I mean, but thinking of my bunnies and also others bunnies who don't get the 'honour' of being so important to the forum despite having come through adversity or whatever and still being here despite the odds or something. I just wish all those bunnies could really be appreciated for all the battles they have fought or for who they are and what they have done.

I guess maybe really this is a thread for all those bunnies who are here despite the odds, who are here and fighting despite horrific neglect, who have fought through illnesses, who have done major things for their owners, who have wonderful personalities, those who are just amazing in anyway, deserve some recognition.

Tell us their stories and show us some pics of your Miracle Bunnies.

We have a lot of exceptional bunnies on the forum, that generally grab the forum as a whole and become important to the whole forum.

Individually we have our rabbits and they are all special to us in their own ways and for their own reasons and we are able to see and appreciate that completely.

I don't know how to word this articulately, to say what I'm trying to say.

Not everyone has had a bunny who has captured the hearts of the forum, even if we wish that their stories or battles or personality had. Just wondered if anyone else sometimes feels sad for their bunny/ies that even though we as owners know how amazing they are or how inspirational they are, they don't capture people in the same way other bunnies do?

That sounds REALLY silly, and I can't quite word what I mean, but thinking of my bunnies and also others bunnies who don't get the 'honour' of being so important to the forum despite having come through adversity or whatever and still being here despite the odds or something. I just wish all those bunnies could really be appreciated for all the battles they have fought or for who they are and what they have done.

I guess maybe really this is a thread for all those bunnies who are here despite the odds, who are here and fighting despite horrific neglect, who have fought through illnesses, who have done major things for their owners, who have wonderful personalities, those who are just amazing in anyway, deserve some recognition.

Tell us their stories and show us some pics of your Miracle Bunnies.

I know what you mean :wave:
I think Stew is a miracle bunny (well Fhb told me so anyway! :lol:)

I was thinking the same thing actually. I don't know how well this idea would go down because I don't want to take anything away from RU.

But I was thinking of possibly starting a website that was related to this in someway. Possibly where each rabbit can have their own "page" so to speak and have their own five minutes of fame. Owners could write the buns life story and people can get to know more about each persons buns without having to go through a million threads and peace storys together.

I'd quite like peoples opinions on this ... :)

:shock: You're hi-jacking my thread!

I was thinking the same thing actually. I don't know how well this idea would go down because I don't want to take anything away from RU.

But I was thinking of possibly starting a website that was related to this in someway. Possibly where each rabbit can have their own "page" so to speak and have their own five minutes of fame. Owners could write the buns life story and people can get to know more about each persons buns without having to go through a million threads and peace storys together.

I'd quite like peoples opinions on this ... :)

That's a good idea - it won't make people feel their buns are less important, because they'll have the chance to all take part :D

Here's my miracle bun - Robert (in the front) with his wife, Gertie.

He's a dental bun, unfortunately congenital. He's 2 years old. We've already lost his sister, Bonnie, to the same affliction. Robert and Bonnie had their first dentals at only a few months old. They've both suffered terribly with their eyes and Bonnie went on to develop an absess in her cheek. While she was staying at the vets for treatment as Pasturella had really got a hold of her and the antibiotics were failing, Robert was in again for another dental. We even left him there with her for longer, just to try and help her, but she was getting so bad we had to make the sad decision to PTS. Robert and Bonnie were inseparable and he refused Gertie at this time.
Robert's had more dentals than I remember now. He had one in December and his x rays showed and continue to show he's very poorly in the mouth department. He stopped eating and it took weeks of care to get him going again. Once this was a bit of a distant memory, he was willing to accept Gertie in his life.
He's currently going through all of this again http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=230236
Hie eyes are showing signs now that his sight is greatly affected, yet he is still so lovely to handle and has never tried to nip us. I just wanted to share how special this bunny is to us. :love: I hope no one minds.

Tell us :D Tell us about him, pics, the lot :) I know his story is probably around if I looked for it, but tell us again :)

The original thread is here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=185633

We had only had Stew for a few weeks when suddenly she started dragging her back legs. I came straight here for advice.She was seen by a vet who first said it was a strain or pulled muscle. She got no better. When we kept persisting the vet treated her for ec,even though they knew it wasn't likely.
They quickly gave up hope and after x-rays showed nothing wrong they said if there was no improvement in 7 days we needed to pts :cry:
I wasn't happy with this as she was still eating,trying to get about and she hadn't given up and was still fighting.
The thread soon recommended her seeing Fhb. I asked for a referral (the vets thought i was mad :roll:)
We got an appontmnet quite quickly with Fhb who was fantastic. She talked about x-rays,ct scans and Stew even going down south to be treated by her son :love: we talked about bunny carts and she said Stew would be the first bunny they would have ever trialled a cart on. But first things first she needed more thorough x-rays.
When Fhb rang me the next day i was driving and pulled over. She said there was no need for the ct scans as the x-rays had shown a severe spinal deformity which started at the base of her neck. I broke down straightaway :oops:
She told me that Stew was in no pain and i had to make the decision to keep her as happy and healthy as i could and if things worsened to make a decision again or to let her go straightaway. I asked what she personally recommended and if i was being selfish keeping her alive. She said she agreed with me and Stew wasn't ready to go to the bridge :) She said it was a miracle Stew had ever survived or walked properly at all and it was a miracle how she still never gave up trying.
Stew came home with pain relief and had to have daily baths from me which she hated but soon tolerated. She got about in her own way and never slowed down :lol: She learnt to wash with one foot and to balance her feet on the dish to eat :)
When we went on holiday 2 months later we came back and brought Stew and dumps home from holiday hutches.......when we opened the door for them to have a run about,Stew came hopping out :shock::shock:,still a bit wobbly but she was hopping again!
A year on and Stew can't quite do a full binky but she has a good go,she hates anything slippy and will walk over slippers,books,anything to avoid slipping and sliding!
Still to this day Stew is the tiniest bun we have and is most definitely still the boss of them all. Just to let me know this she gave me a nip yesterday for giving her a quick groom and bum wipe for the first time ever. I'm sure she was telling me she could do it herself :lol::lol:

So here's to Stew,my first bun who opened my world to the love of bunnies and i'm so glad she did. She helped me through a difficult time and i hope i did for her too. Without Ru she wouldn't have made it this far - Thank you to everyone who helped me get her through :love:

Baby Stew and Dumpling
CIMG2345-1.jpg

At her worst :(
CIMG2630-1.jpg

Still the boss (and how she gets up here without a step i don't know!)
DSC_0428.jpg

Last edited:
Gertie, thank you so much for sharing about Robert. Its so amazing that despite all that he is a lovely boy. Poor Bonnie though. Its very unfair that they have both inherited such awful mouths. And it was more than ok to share that :) Very much more than ok.

Claireb, thank you for telling Stew's story. Wow! what an amazing bunny. How incredible that she is walking again, after all of that!

Both of those stories have made me feel so fuzzy. Bunnies never cease to amaze me. Those are two wonderful bunnies!

Louie is a miracle bunnie to me as it amazes me how well he copes with his blindness and how he has such a soft, friendly personality and makes me laugh everyday :love::love:

:wave: Here are our miracle bunnies stories :)

We got Floppy just over 18 months ago from a situation where she was having too many treats and not enough of what she should of been having. She didn't know what hay was and was very, very overweight. Because of her diet she began to have jelly poos not long after we got her through the RSPCA. The vet said this was because of her diet so everyday we would hand feed her hay. thankfullt she now loves it! :D

This was Floppy before her diet:
120.jpg

Last August Floppy broke her front left leg by jumping about 2 foot in the air and landing wrong. Her ulna was broken and the tip of her elbow had been knocked off. She had to have a major operation and now has pins in the bone and the elbow is attached with rubber bands. She had cage rest for such a long time but is now back to normal.

This was her leg after the operation (we nicknamed her chicken leg :lol:)
P180809_08170001.jpg

At the end of March we noticed her dewlap was swollen. We took her to the vet and he diagnosed and abscess. She had x-rays done and it was discovered that the abscess had been cause by her tooth roots. After this operation, she struggled to come round from the GA and went in to stasis. We thought we were going to lose her that night but thankfully she picked up about 4am. Since then she has had the abscess drained another time but at the moment it is being controlled with weekly convenia injections.

This was her swollen dewlap:
154.jpg

And this is a recent picture:
051-1.jpg

Now for Minnie. We adopted her in November last year knowing that she had tooth root problems. We didn't think she would make it to Christmas but like Floppy she is being treated by the vet with weekly convenia injections to control the abscess she has on her lower jaw. With this treatment she is going from strength to strength. She has turned in to a lovely bunny who would have been PTS in late October. All this life she would have missed.

Before the Convenia injection:
Minnietube.jpg

And now:
040-1.jpg

Penguin is a very clever bunny. I am Diabetic and sometime I don't feel my blood sugar levels getting low but Penguin senses it. She will stamp until I have got my blood sugars up to normal level. She lives outside but knows even there if i'm not well.

This is Penguin:
978.jpg

So out of 5 bunnies our 3 females are miracle buns but our boys are very special too! ;)

We would never of been able to cope with all these problems if it wasn't for Tracy and we would like to take this oppurtunity to thank her very much for all she has helped us with :D

Last edited:
Lily, although no longer here, is an Incredible Bunny. She fought (and won) against E.C twice after initially getting it quite badly in early autumn 2006 and fought it for 3 months to make an almost-full recovery. She showed symptoms again a few months later and battled 2 months to get over it, however unfortunately she got it again another few months later and passed away in late summer 2007. In all, she battled E.C for a year (a quarter of her whole life), and she fought it so bravely, she had her bad days when she was poorly and more than once I feared checking on her in the morning in case the worst had happened overnight, but once she began to recover she was back to loving life again. She is an incredibly special wonderbun to me and the bravest little fighter I've ever known :love:

Before:-
before.jpg

During:-
during1.jpg

during2.jpg

during3.jpg

After she had recovered twice, and only a week before developing it a third time and passing away:-
after1.jpg

after2.jpg

Back