• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How do you Bandage rabbit feet?

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Among Kylo's other issues, he has recently taken to sitting in the run in the rain, and thus soaking his feet all the time :roll::roll: so his sore hocks have come back and look kinda red and angry.
Obviously i am going to take him in to see the vet, about his respiratory issues too, but i know others have bandaged feet to help them heal. Just wondering what you found worked best, and how well they stay on? Kylo doesnt really groom himself much and is pretty tollerant generally so shouldnt be too difficult a patient!

With Moses I made large corn plaster type things out of cotton wool, then covered with vet wrap. Because he was incontinent I also used baby socks on top which I could change regularly through out the day :)

I use the opsite flexigrid if they really need bandaging as they seem to tolerate that a bit better - most bunnies remove normal bandages within minutes :roll::lol:

I was going to say the same...I know someone who uses baby socks over bandaging for her bun and it is working really well, her bun doesn't mind having them on at all

I use Biatain or Allevyn then Vetwrap

http://www.coloplast.com/Products/WoundAndSkinCare/Biatain/ProductOptions/Pages/BiatainSilicone.aspx

http://www.dressings.org/Dressings/allevyn.she.html

007-32.jpg

009-26.jpg

At first I found it really tricky to do but after a few months of it I can now do it in my sleep !!

I have not had a problem with bandaging being too tight when using Vetwrap but I did when using a normal crepe bandage. I do keep a close check on the toes every few hours though, just in case.

do you change them every day?

i reckon i might be able to get some materials from uni, just wondering how much i need and low long its likely to take to improve. i thought i might use some salvon healing gel underneath??

do you change them every day?

i reckon i might be able to get some materials from uni, just wondering how much i need and low long its likely to take to improve. i thought i might use some salvon healing gel underneath??

I found the Savlon Gel to be very helpful. I do change the dressings daily, sometimes twice a day. Mind you, she's been able to remain bandage free so far this Spring. Her hocks are usually worse when she has her Summer Coat, but this year she is coping OK so far. Last year was awful and that was when I became proficient at the bandaging. I was doing it twice a day for about 3-4 months.

i was hoping to change them every 2-3 days, if they stay on, as i'm worried that constant changing would disturb then new skin? :? They're not infected or open at all, so its just cushioning and covering the skin to allow it to heal better and quicker, and hopefully the fur to regrow?

Personally I have never found changing the dressings 1-2 times a day a problem re skin healing. I would not want to leave dressings on for more than 24 hours as IM(unqualified)O the risk of missing the start of any infection is greater than any possible issues re disturbing new skin growth. Also, I like to massage the legs and feet to promote good blood circulation and hopefully help with new skin formation.

Rex hock issues can be really high maintenance unfortunately :cry:

Back