• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yikes.. Need baytril

Hopper

Mama Doe
Hi, is there anyone in Nottingham that can help. One of my rabbits has head tilt and I have gone and spilt the baytril :( Its sunday and to see vets again to get some will cost £110 just to be seen to get more as its PDSA appointments that cover emg vets.. :shock:

I can replace it on tuesday from my own vets again.

Oh no! So sorry I cant help you (am in France), but sending lots of antibiotic seeking vibes to you from one head tilt mum to another :love:

Just trying to think of some options for you coz i know you must be going crazy!
How long has he been on the baytril for? If you cant get any from anywhere else and you really cant afford the emergency vets fees you will have no choice but to take him off them for a couple of days BUT make sure he gets put on some DIFFERENT abx on Tuesday.
Can you call the emergency vet, explain the situation and say you dont need an appointment, just a couple of days worth of baytril??

He's not on anything at the moment it only happened not long ago as she said she usually have it in as shes a rescue but she spilt the bottle so now she is worrying as it's bank holiday weekend and the pdsa are not very good round here

He hasnt actualy started it yet... I seem cursed with anti biotics for small furries. One lot of baytril I took lid off, got distracted, cam back and went to shake it, went all over :? I had septrin in for my rats, whole bottle full and put it down somewhere 3 weeks ago, can i find it now.. :?:roll:

I suppose I can wait until tuesday morning but wanted to get him started on it..

I tried calling emg vets out of hours and all you get is they need to him 1st as cant just give out meds.. Seems steep to pay £110 plus extra just get some baytril again :shock:

He's not on anything at the moment it only happened not long ago as she said she usually have it in as shes a rescue but she spilt the bottle so now she is worrying as it's bank holiday weekend and the pdsa are not very good round here

PDSA are terrible.. Why they had to do them as emg out of hour vets i dont know! There answer to every thing at ours, even minor things is pts :evil:

No He went vets yesterday, got meds which was to start today as she gave him some at vets yesterday.. Went to give him todays lot at home and spilt it as knocked bottle over.

In that case you'd think the Emergency Vets would at least supply you with 2 days worth of Baytril to tide you over the B/H weekend.
Very helpful of them...........Not :roll:

I know.. I hate the PDSA being our emg ones!! They havent a clue as to what they are doing, answer everything with PTS and in cases like this refuse to give baytril with out him being seen even though he was seen by our vet, but they said thats not on there records and they need to him themselves :evil:

What about if you take the empty bottle down so they can see the date it was issued and the instructions to give it?

What about if you take the empty bottle down so they can see the date it was issued and the instructions to give it?

I was thinking that.

This is why some vets wind me up. I thought that they're primary purpose is to look after animals. I'm positive that the individual vets and nurses want to help animals as much as they can, but as companies as a whole it just seems a big money making scheme. £110 for them to dispense medication is point blank rediculous, we know it, they know it, well all know it.

I guess they're refusing to give it right now just to cover there backs and a £110 is better in their pockets than yours. :roll:

I hope you manage to sort something out, sending lots of vibes x

In that case you'd think the Emergency Vets would at least supply you with 2 days worth of Baytril to tide you over the B/H weekend.
Very helpful of them...........Not :roll:

Unfortunately the law gets in the way of common sense...
Vets are not allowed to issue prescription medication to an animal that is not under their care so legally they have to see a rabbit to give you medication unless the prescribing vet can issue a prescription requesting dispensing of the meds. Annoying but they are following the rules.

Unfortunately the law gets in the way of common sense...
Vets are not allowed to issue prescription medication to an animal that is not under their care so legally they have to see a rabbit to give you medication unless the prescribing vet can issue a prescription requesting dispensing of the meds. Annoying but they are following the rules.

That blows my post out of the water then! :lol:

I still get charged as there isnt a vet on the premises, they have to call them out to go there, so the £110 consult is because its a call out fee.. Unless on the off chance a vet is on the premises with another emg in.. Im going down there tomorrow morning to see if a vets on the premises and hang about a bit..

Whats annoyed me is I always have a vets bottle (large bottle) in as she keeps me stocked up and ive lost it all, wasnt a full bottle but still..

I have my vets personal number but she is away for bank holdiday weekend.

I was thinking that.

This is why some vets wind me up. I thought that they're primary purpose is to look after animals. I'm positive that the individual vets and nurses want to help animals as much as they can, but as companies as a whole it just seems a big money making scheme. £110 for them to dispense medication is point blank rediculous, we know it, they know it, well all know it.

I guess they're refusing to give it right now just to cover there backs and a £110 is better in their pockets than yours. :roll:

I hope you manage to sort something out, sending lots of vibes x

yep thats so true. I love my actual vets.. they are so compasionate and the animals come 1st, we are lucky the managers and head offices there are good also.. Whats also good is my vets are very experienced and work with you, not against you, she gives us lots of freebies also and a good discount.

Back