• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Change- Allen and Page a good choice for Jimby?

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am rather confused... We currently feed Jimby Excel.
We have been given a free packet of the Science Selective and it states it has 19% Fibre but Excel states 39% so going by that surley Excel is better?! :oops:

Last edited:
They say Excel produces too many poops,has chicken in it...lots of stuff.Perhaps a search on here under Excel....?? It may answer your query???
We all feed our buns different.:wave:

Excel isn't 39% fibre, I think it's about 18/19%. The (very misleading) 39% they quote is something they call beneficial fibre (which they don't explain very well) but as far as I can make out is a percentage of the complete fibre.

Tam

Excel isn't 39% fibre, I think it's about 18/19%. The (very misleading) 39% they quote is something they call beneficial fibre (which they don't explain very well) but as far as I can make out is a percentage of the complete fibre.

Tam

Yup, this was a marketing ploy. The fibre you need to compare is crude fibre and as Tamsin has already said, Excel isn't as high as SS. In fact I think it's only about 16-18%.

SS and Excel are both extruded (mushed up and piped out like biscuits) pellets so if you are looking for a really good high fibre pellet then go for one that is higher percentage wise, but maybe try one that is a chopped fibre pellet instead too. This provides better roughage and a better work out for the teeth too. Examples are Oxbox Bunny Basics, Allen and Page (21% fibre) and Bunny Nature. The bigger the chopped fibre pellet too, the harder it is to eat so the better the workout.

Having looked in to it maybe Allan and Page would be better? Are they actually in pellet form like the Excel? As Jimby hated the Oxbrow type.

Is it ok to feed these to an adult bun as I read it has Alfalfra in it?!

Allen and Paige pellets are longer/ thinner than the excel..they look like those carrot pellet treats from P@H
( but arnt orange:lol:)

I've heard great things about Oxbow but I could only find it online so I decided to use SS. One of my buns has a delicate stomach and seems to do better on SS, the others have been fine on either

:lol: I ment the P@H Carroty Pellets, apparently some buns choked on them!!

But I guess the Protextin Pro Fibre pellets are the same :?
What would be better for a tummy and dental bunny- SS or Allen and Page?

I used Excell for a while but it gave Daphne a bit of a squity butt. SS is a bit out of my price range so I changed to Wagg Optimum pellets on the advice of RU members (actually, A&P were suggested first but I can't get them over here) but now my lot have Wagg pellets, no one else seems to be using them! I hope Wagg pellets are ok. :?

I do not know which to go too?! Jimby's poops are usually considered 'normal' on Excel, he (touch wood) has not had a squidgy butt on them, would it even be a good idea to change him to something else?!

If your bunnies poos are normal and large and golden, leave them on the excel, however if you find that you do start having problems I would immediatly start weaning them over to SS.

Ok having done lots of reasearch I think Allen and Page may be the best route for Jimby. As he is a tummy and dental bun would this be a good choice? It has Alfrara and Linseed though is this ok?
OK more confusion... :oops: How can Allen and Page be soooo good when it is soooo much cheaper than Excel!?

Last edited:
Just had a plan... We just fed Jims a couple of the SS pellets to see what he thought, at first he was not sure but once he ate one he wanted more :love: so maybe we should stick with the SS?
Just a quick question- The Alfalfa and Linseed in the SS, is that ok for an Adult bun?!
Also, having been on the Burgess which has a protien level of 12% is moving on to the SS ok as it has a protien level of 14%??

Back