• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scratch/Scab

Yayhelen

Warren Scout
Hello,

This is Morris:

P1050815.jpg

I was stroking him and noticed a funny mark and I am not sure if it's just a scratch and not very serious or something else, it looks like this:

P1050812.jpg

P1050813.jpg

It's almost like something stuck in him, he doesn't seem at all bothered but it though - anyone seen anything like this before? I am going to go to the vet about it but just thought I would ask, its on his back. I know they have very thin skin and wasn't sure if it was just a scab from a scratch.

He only has one that I can find, this one on his back.

Helen

It looks like a scab to me. Bunnies skin is so thin it often dries and peels a bit when they have an injury. It looks like it was probably a bigger wound originally (the short black hairs are new fur growing through).

Has he had a jab in the last month or so?

Its about half way down his back, he is a bun adopted as a friend for our existing bun, we tried to bond them two weeks ago but he wouldn't stop pestering her and as he was only neutered 2 weeks before trying to bond them I am going to try again this week (5 weeks since he was neutered) as he hormones should have calmed down.

I don't think it could be a claw, we seperated them and I checked them both for sratches/injuries as Poppy (my lady bun) had got fed up of him and it escalated into a scuffle and I wanted to ensure neither of them where injured.

I am really tempted to pull it out but don't want to hurt him...

H x

I'm about 99% it's a scab so there is nothing to pull out. If you hold a damp bit of kitchen roll/cotton to it should soften like any scab would if you want to check. I wouldn't pull it off though it looks like it's not far from healing and the skin doesn't look inflamed.

He had his VHD jab about 2 weeks ago but that was in his neck and not on his back. I will just leave it and if it doesn't look like it's improving over the next few days I will take him to the vet.

Thanks for the help x H x

That looks similar to, but a bit worse that, what Mischa gets which I think is from Mini mounting him on occasion. She's a nipping mounter.

Ahhhhh, maybe so! I do so hope my bunnies learn to get along - its been horrid having to keep them seperate and both cooped up :(

Makes me feel sad, fingers crossed! A lovely lady who fosters for BARC is taking them for a week on Friday to get them to get along- as Poppy is free range there isn't anywhere neutral in our house so I am hopeful, fingers crossed, that a someone elses neutral home will a) give me the change to pressure wash/soak in vinegar and generally clean everywhere and b)make them a bit needy of one another with all the strange and new so they hopefully fall in love!!! :love:

Back