• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

C&C grids - where do you get them

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I've been looking the internet but cant see any. Are there any shops where you can just go and look at them?

(not for rabbits. For my guinea pig to be! :p)

Hi! :wave:

I went through this last year when I decided to adopt my 3 piggies. Firstly, have you looked at guineapigcages.com. Its where I got loads of information about C&C cages. The forum on there is pretty good too.

I got my grids from Amazon. If you google cube mesh and grid storage it should come up (they sell it as a shoe storage unit).

If you need any help, just give me a shout. I had mine in a hutch when I got them from the rescue, then upgraded to the C&C cage, decided it was too small so doubled the size and then finally decided to tweak it again and added an upstairs!

Good luck!!

Oo I have such a love/hate relationship with those little cubes! I agree with Nikki26, in that amazon is the best.

You can pick them up instore at Wickes, but you pay a much higher price for them (double most of the time)

if/when you order them check the negative feedback, I ordered mine from a company through eBay that had an amazing rating, but the cubes had to be sent out THREE times, and as a result took a month to come. Upon looking at their negative feedback it seemed my problem was a common one, the swines haha.

If you'd like any help or tips with the assembly then PM me :wave: iv built a 6 foot by two foot cage that's two stories out of those bad boys :lol:

If you know someone with a Costco card, they sell Seville storage cubes for about £9 plus vat. You get 4 cubes and connectors.

They are really sturdy, found in the stationery aisle. They look like these (the grey and black ones at the top):

http://www.sevilleclassics.com/cubes

and are the same as those on sale at Amazon for £16.

Hi! :wave:

I went through this last year when I decided to adopt my 3 piggies. Firstly, have you looked at guineapigcages.com. Its where I got loads of information about C&C cages. The forum on there is pretty good too.

I got my grids from Amazon. If you google cube mesh and grid storage it should come up (they sell it as a shoe storage unit).

If you need any help, just give me a shout. I had mine in a hutch when I got them from the rescue, then upgraded to the C&C cage, decided it was too small so doubled the size and then finally decided to tweak it again and added an upstairs!

Good luck!!

Well I found them and I ordered them!!! Silver and only 14.95 plus 7.50 P&P!! My goodness - loads more space than a wire cage at £121!! Can that be right??

Soooo I ordered the cubes so it looks like I'm gonna be a mum to a guinea pig soon!!! Then to his wife, when I find him one!!

Yay!! You're one step closer to being a piggy mum!!

If you are willing to put a bit of effort into making the cage, they are definitely worth it and have the added benefit of being adjustable so you can change it around if you want (make it bigger, add floors etc)

What will you do about the floor? I have used lino on mine and also use towels and fleeces for bedding rather than shavings or megazorb.

Yay!! You're one step closer to being a piggy mum!!

If you are willing to put a bit of effort into making the cage, they are definitely worth it and have the added benefit of being adjustable so you can change it around if you want (make it bigger, add floors etc)

What will you do about the floor? I have used lino on mine and also use towels and fleeces for bedding rather than shavings or megazorb.

Yes. I've been talking to Threelittlepiggies on the private thread thingy about that and thats what she does. I thought of that corrugated plastic stuff they reccommend then newspaper then fleece.

Do you just use lino then. Maybe I don't need that plastic stuff then. Lino would be much easier. Does the wee not leak sometimes?

Well I couldn't work out where to get the plastic from so decided to use lino. I made it into the shape of a base so it has sides (am struggling to work out how to describe it!!) I cut slits into the edges of the lino, folded it up and super glued it in place ( and scored the lino where it had to fold). It's not as sturdy as the plastic but I don't think it matters as I've put it inside the grids so they hold it all in place. The towels absorb all the wee so no leakage!!

Does that make any sense??!

Have you looked at the website I suggested? I found it so useful when thinking about building my cage.

Well I couldn't work out where to get the plastic from so decided to use lino. I made it into the shape of a base so it has sides (am struggling to work out how to describe it!!) I cut slits into the edges of the lino, folded it up and super glued it in place ( and scored the lino where it had to fold). It's not as sturdy as the plastic but I don't think it matters as I've put it inside the grids so they hold it all in place. The towels absorb all the wee so no leakage!!

Does that make any sense??!

Have you looked at the website I suggested? I found it so useful when thinking about building my cage.

That makes perfect sense - I think you did it the way they tell you to cut the plastic. There's a play resource place near my house and you can get the plastic stuff for free but I think the lino idea would be even better esp when you don't need high sides because they aren't kicking up sawdust. Do you just brush up the poop easily off the fleece etc. or shake it out? Is that a stoooooopid question? Off to check out that site - I think I did look at that one.

I would say the correx is easier than lino. It is rigid and therefore you can just tape it in place with packaging tape.

Correx can be ordered from this place very cheaply: http://www.teacratepackaging.co.uk/correx-board-p-88.html

This company was discovered by users of theguineapigforum.co.uk and the owners are obviously bemused that the correx is being used for piggy cages! The forum gives their site so much traffic that they have actually given special discounts to forum users in the past.

I brush my fleece with the brush from my dustpan and brush before putting it in the washing machine and I find that hair and hay tends to stick to the fleece.

A neutered boar and sow/s is a great way to keep pigs and generally they have close and loving relationships. My George adored his girlies and they are fine without him at the moment because Treacle is so old and doesn't take any nonsense from the youngsters. :lol::lol: When Treacle and Piggy Wiggin pass on I will definitely need a boar again as one of the other sows can be quite a bully. :roll:

I bought a little handheld vacuum so I just Hoover up the poops and stray pieces of hay every day. Another tip I have is that I bought a cheap duvet cover and I put my fleeces and towels in that when I wash them. Before I had the duvet cover, I found that piggie hairs stayed in the machine and covered clothes that were washed later. As I live with my sister, she was not happy about that at all!!

Can I just sing the praises of washable incontinence pads underneath the fleece please? They're great - absolutely no smell and can be washed over and over again. I use a layer a newspaper, washable incontinence pads and then fleece over the main body of the cage. Then we have a smaller piece of inco pad covered with vetbed in a high toilet area plus a regular megazorb/hay litter tray under the hay rack. Upstairs is just another litter tray plus one layer of newspaper/inco pads and fleece.

I sweep the poops out twice a day (found that a rubber brush is best) and change the litter trays every two days. The little toilet area inco pad and vetbed is changed every day. The big fleece and inco pads are changed once a week.

Works great - no smell - and the piggies love it! Oh - and I use a pet bedding wash bag to ensure the washing machine doesn't clog with hair and hay :D.

Can I just sing the praises of washable incontinence pads underneath the fleece please? They're great - absolutely no smell and can be washed over and over again. I use a layer a newspaper, washable incontinence pads and then fleece over the main body of the cage. Then we have a smaller piece of inco pad covered with vetbed in a high toilet area plus a regular megazorb/hay litter tray under the hay rack. Upstairs is just another litter tray plus one layer of newspaper/inco pads and fleece.

I sweep the poops out twice a day (found that a rubber brush is best) and change the litter trays every two days. The little toilet area inco pad and vetbed is changed every day. The big fleece and inco pads are changed once a week.

Works great - no smell - and the piggies love it! Oh - and I use a pet bedding wash bag to ensure the washing machine doesn't clog with hair and hay :D.

*Joins in with the singing!* :lol:

I use (( Two of these )) in my boys' 5x2 C&C cage with a layer of Microfibre towel on top of them and fleece as the top layer. :wave: x

I use (( These Pet Hair Filter Bags )) for the fleece and towels but the pads go in just as they are after a quick sweep. 2 pads, the towels and fleece in a filter bag all go in as one load. :)

Oh thankyou all this advice is great!! Where do you get the incontinence thingymagigs??

Back