• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Charlie and hay

Grace65

Warren Veteran
I hope this is ok posting this here but im worried about charlie not eating enough hay, since i got him home with me he dosent seem interested in hay, he will eat grass readily but will not touch hay!

Today between the heavy bouts of rain him and grace have been in and out chomping on the grass, as soon as charlie gets in he refuses hay again, grace is eating hers now but he just won touch it.

The thing is ive just been out in the rain and just collected a huge handful of grass and put it in his bowl, is it ok to be doing this?

Im really worried as ive been monitoring him since we got him last sunday night and his droppings are so tiny unless he eats grass and then they seem ok again, has anyone got any advice for me, im pulling my hair out :(.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hay is just dried grass, so he should be ok :?

Picking grass is fine, but if there's any left take it out before it goes yukky. :)

I think pulling up grass and feeding it is fine :) Its only lawnmower trimmings that are bad because they can have petrol etc on them. And when it comes down to it hay and grass are the same thing!

Its a nightmare when bunnies won't eat hay, sending lots of hay-nomming vibes for you xxxx

Oh thank you!
Hes eating the bowl of grass i just cut now, his blooming droppings are so tiny when he isnt eating grass it scares me, i just dont think he has ever had hay, when we got him there wasnt a scrap of food or hay to be had anywhere, how many bowls do you think i should give him a day?

I just want him fit and well for his and graces neuter on weds .xxxxxxxxxx

Just keep perserving. Put it in boxes, hide his pellets in it, put it in his litter tray. You can't really overfeed grass/hay as long as he is used to eating grass, think grass is quite rich at the minute :)

Just seen this grass should be fine, have you tried sprinkling some (just a little ) dried dandelion on the hay? He may eat some whilst foraging. Bobby didn't eat much hay at first so i went to the Hay Experts if you google you should find them, I ordered some oxbow timothy hay and it smells gorgous and she wolfed it down!!! (bit pricey tho)

I used to put it with her normal hay and now she eats anything:D The Hay Experts also do a a taster pack of 6 or 7 diff hays, you should find one he likes...:D

Hi shelly,
Charlie has been pigging on dandelions earlier today, ive got a few in the garden :roll: (Hundreds infact lol cos ive not yet cut the grass) so hes had some grass and dandelions, ill have a look at that hay company and order a sample pack, they are both on meadow hay at the mo but i did buy a bag of timothy last weds and they both refused that arghhhh::shock: xxxxxxxxxx

Hi shelly,
Charlie has been pigging on dandelions earlier today, ive got a few in the garden :roll: (Hundreds infact lol cos ive not yet cut the grass) so hes had some grass and dandelions, ill have a look at that hay company and order a sample pack, they are both on meadow hay at the mo but i did buy a bag of timothy last weds and they both refused that arghhhh::shock: xxxxxxxxxx

Oh okay, yeah the hay experts are brilliant, try the sample pack :) Be careful with too many dandelions too! They don't agree with Bobby if she has more than a couple:roll:

Not sure if all buns can get this effect but she wolfed loads down once when my back was turned and ended up with runny poop!.. :shock:

i think with hay you just have to keep trying different kinds... once they start eating it there is no stopping them:lol:

Just out of interest has charlie had his teeth checked? sometimes buns with dental probs can't eat hay as it hurts.

Oh okay, yeah the hay experts are brilliant, try the sample pack :) Be careful with too many dandelions too! They don't agree with Bobby if she has more than a couple:roll:

Not sure if all buns can get this effect but she wolfed loads down once when my back was turned and ended up with runny poop!.. :shock:

i think with hay you just have to keep trying different kinds... once they start eating it there is no stopping them:lol:

Just out of interest has charlie had his teeth checked? sometimes buns with dental probs can't eat hay as it hurts.

Yep charlie had a full check when i took him to the vets on monday, he has a runny eye and the vet did say that it could be his teeth but after checking he said his teeth looked fine.

if it was his teeth wouldnt he refuse grass aswell? because he`s eating grass no problem.
is that pack of hay you were talking about the 7 day nature pack? xxxx

Yep charlie had a full check when i took him to the vets on monday, he has a runny eye and the vet did say that it could be his teeth but after checking he said his teeth looked fine.

if it was his teeth wouldnt he refuse grass aswell? because he`s eating grass no problem.
is that pack of hay you were talking about the 7 day nature pack? xxxx

hmmm well grass isn't as dry and sharp, it may just be him being a fussy devil, yes I think it is the 7 day nature pack and the oxbow timothy hay is really green and nice and got bobs eating but its expensive:cry:

hmmm well grass isn't as dry and sharp, it may just be him being a fussy devil, yes I think it is the 7 day nature pack and the oxbow timothy hay is really green and nice and got bobs eating but its expensive:cry:

You have me thinking now, i wish the vet had xrayed his roots now because if it is his teeth he maybe could have had that done while under anasthetic on weds.

God im really worried now, the eye is a tad runny but not as much but its still a teeny weeny bit runny.
Oh god what to do! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You have me thinking now, i wish the vet had xrayed his roots now because if it is his teeth he maybe could have had that done while under anasthetic on weds.

God im really worried now, the eye is a tad runny but not as much but its still a teeny weeny bit runny.
Oh god what to do! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No calm calm sweet didn't mean to worry you! Carlo has a runny eye and he is still eating and pooping fine:)

By all means get him checked again if it puts your mind at rest!

But it may just be he prefers the sweet green grass, and just needs some yummy hay to entice him:?

Is he eating any of it?? maybe try cutting down pellet and veg and then he will have to eat his hay, sometimes they fill up on all the things that they love and have no room for hay!

No calm calm sweet didn't mean to worry you! Carlo has a runny eye and he is still eating and pooping fine:)

By all means get him checked again if it puts your mind at rest!

But it may just be he prefers the sweet green grass, and just needs some yummy hay to entice him:?

Is he eating any of it?? maybe try cutting down pellet and veg and then he will have to eat his hay, sometimes they fill up on all the things that they love and have no room for hay!

Im just weaning him onto science selective the same as grace, he was on a cheap museli mix before we took him home apparently.

im really worried now, if his teeth were so bad to prevent him eating hay would he be eating say pellets and carrots? he`s eating those ok, plus would the vet be able to thoroughly check his teeth just by looking?

Ive just ordered the trial 7 day hay pack and will see how that goes, in the meantime im in and out pulling grass up :lol: xxxxxxxxx

Im just weaning him onto science selective the same as grace, he was on a cheap museli mix before we took him home apparently.

im really worried now, if his teeth were so bad to prevent him eating hay would he be eating say pellets and carrots? he`s eating those ok, plus would the vet be able to thoroughly check his teeth just by looking?

Ive just ordered the trial 7 day hay pack and will see how that goes, in the meantime im in and out pulling grass up :lol: xxxxxxxxx
I'm not sure cos pellets are hard too aren't they? My vet just looked in Carlo's mouth too, he didn't have a full dental exam, and his eye is better than it was. All my vet said was it looks like he has a few high bits:? I don't know what that means, but she did say that the main vet was the dental guy, so I will be talking to him next time, am going to try and go next week:D

I think it sounds like he just likes the grass:lol:

I'm not sure cos pellets are hard too aren't they? My vet just looked in Carlo's mouth too, he didn't have a full dental exam, and his eye is better than it was. All my vet said was it looks like he has a few high bits:? I don't know what that means, but she did say that the main vet was the dental guy, so I will be talking to him next time, am going to try and go next week:D

I think it sounds like he just likes the grass:lol:

Maybe i ought to mention it when i take them both weds morning. xxxx

Back