• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at flippin home!!! Why do I go in there?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Today they have a baby bunny, terrified, sitting in a small box on the floor for everyone to walk past and oggle at. Including passing animals. 'NAME THE BUNNY COMPETITION'

I told the girl that it was just cruel and they shouldn't be doing it and it would make me want to shop elsewhere. She just smirked and half rolled her eyes at another customer. I ask for the manager and she tells me he's not in on Saturday. I didn't believe her so asked at the till and got the Assistant Manager.....

"I'm concerned about the baby bunny in the box over there"

"He's only been there 10 minutes" he says

"Well 10 minutes is 10 minutes too long for a bunny to be terrified!!" (I'm getting madder!

"We'll put it back - I'm really sorry"

I tell him I'll be making a formal complaint.

"I really am sorry - We'll put him back right away. I really am sorry"

"You're not a bit sorry, I said - you'll probably have another one out as soon as I leave"

He gets a bit stroppy. "We don't treat our animals like that!! (people are starting to listen and take notice.

"Well there's one over there!!" I almost raised my voice!! :oops::shock:

I told him I had come in to buy a large indoor cage (I was actually just looking at them) but I would buy one elsewhere and I was going to make a formal complaint.

Soooo then who do I complain to? Is it the council. This is the second time - last time they had new rabbit enclosures, all glass on all sides with 3 rabbits and 1 tiny hideaway! I complained and they put more things in including a big green tunnel.

I know I said it before but I'm NEVER going back there!! I could cry at the plight of small furry animals. Why are people so .... ??!!!!! Oh I can't even think of a word bad enough!!!!!!!

:(

I can sympathise having recently had a (( Very Upsetting Incident In a Garden Centre )) myself recently. :cry:

I would formally complain to their Head Office - that's what I did with Notcutts. Whatever they did or didn't do it did at least it highlighted the issue to someone higher up and presumably they will have to log it somewhere. It may be that this store is doing this by itself and shouldn't be!

I won't be shopping at Notcutts anymore - not so much because of what I witnessed (and the **awful** hutches they have on sale!) but because of their rude and pompous response to my complaint.

Sadly these companies are out to make money....... whatever they may claim...... that is the truth. :cry:

I understand how you feel, i was in pets at home fleetlingly and i saw they had some sort of offer on buy 2 rabbits for something or other! disgusting!

Would the rspca be able to help?? they did something like this in the loughborough shop and i took photos and video and reported them to the rspca, i dont know what happened after i wasnt told but obviously its still happening, bless you for caring, it really makes your blood boil. :censored: xxxxxxxxx

I've complained to P@H head office before, I think they improved things but I never went back in that particular store.

You could also go to Trading Standards and/or Environmental Health. They did nothing for me but they might in your area.

The standard varies - the Gateshead one is phenomenal for a pet shop! Really savvy staff, good clean enclosures, signs saying to neuter and keep in pairs. They do still give the odd bit of duff advice though :roll:

Today they have a baby bunny, terrified, sitting in a small box on the floor for everyone to walk past and oggle at. Including passing animals. 'NAME THE BUNNY COMPETITION'

I told the girl that it was just cruel and they shouldn't be doing it and it would make me want to shop elsewhere. She just smirked and half rolled her eyes at another customer. I ask for the manager and she tells me he's not in on Saturday. I didn't believe her so asked at the till and got the Assistant Manager.....

"I'm concerned about the baby bunny in the box over there"

"He's only been there 10 minutes" he says

"Well 10 minutes is 10 minutes too long for a bunny to be terrified!!" (I'm getting madder!

"We'll put it back - I'm really sorry"

I tell him I'll be making a formal complaint.

"I really am sorry - We'll put him back right away. I really am sorry"

"You're not a bit sorry, I said - you'll probably have another one out as soon as I leave"

He gets a bit stroppy. "We don't treat our animals like that!! (people are starting to listen and take notice.

"Well there's one over there!!" I almost raised my voice!! :oops::shock:

I told him I had come in to buy a large indoor cage (I was actually just looking at them) but I would buy one elsewhere and I was going to make a formal complaint.

Soooo then who do I complain to? Is it the council. This is the second time - last time they had new rabbit enclosures, all glass on all sides with 3 rabbits and 1 tiny hideaway! I complained and they put more things in including a big green tunnel.

I know I said it before but I'm NEVER going back there!! I could cry at the plight of small furry animals. Why are people so .... ??!!!!! Oh I can't even think of a word bad enough!!!!!!!

:wave:The P@H branch must have a current Pet Shop licence in order to operate.

This will be issued by the local council. The council's website is likely to have a link to the department that issues it and hence to whom you could complain.

A typical licence for one council is the following.

http://www.reading.gov.uk/documents/consumerservices/environmentalhealth/pet-shop-licence-conditions.pdf

Those for other councils are usually similar.

If the rabbit was on its own in a box and was being frightened by customers then the following Clause might be of assistance:

Animals shall not be kept in housing in such a way that they can be interfered with by other animals or the public. This shall be attained by correct housing design, security of housing and staff observation so that interference is not possible.

If the rabbit was in a tiny box then there are other clauses that relate to minimum accommodation standards. (Clause 5).

P@H's Head of Pets has also made extensive claims about the quality of P@H's animal care and staff training.

Maeve Moorcroft MVB MRCVS
Head of Pets
Pets at Home Ltd

So, if you wish to complain then P@H Head Office and the local store management would be good points to start.

Good luck with this and well done for complaining.:)

:wave:The P@H branch must have a current Pet Shop licence in order to operate.

This will be issued by the local council. The council's website is likely to have a link to the department that issues it and hence to whom you could complain.

A typical licence for one council is the following.

http://www.reading.gov.uk/documents/consumerservices/environmentalhealth/pet-shop-licence-conditions.pdf

Those for other councils are usually similar.

If the rabbit was on its own in a box and was being frightened by customers then the following Clause might be of assistance:

Animals shall not be kept in housing in such a way that they can be interfered with by other animals or the public. This shall be attained by correct housing design, security of housing and staff observation so that interference is not possible.

If the rabbit was in a tiny box then there are other clauses that relate to minimum accommodation standards. (Clause 5).

P@H's Head of Pets has also made extensive claims about the quality of P@H's animal care and staff training.

Maeve Moorcroft MVB MRCVS
Head of Pets
Pets at Home Ltd

So, if you wish to complain then P@H Head Office and the local store management would be good points to start.

Good luck with this and well done for complaining.:)

Thanks for this. I'm going to print it out and might even take it back to the store when the real manager is there and tell him I'm watching him!!! I am def gonna ring head office and the local council! Am sick to the back teeth of people exploiting little animals!! I'm soooo angry!!!! :censored::censored::censored:

pets at flippin home!!! why do i go in there?

I know how you feel:evil:I was in there (my local one) a few weeks ago and alway,s have a look at the bunnies on sale:cry:A black lionhead buck was repeatly trying to mount another little grey bun:cry:after waiting to see in a member of staff would come and do something about this i went and spoke to a girl worker:)i said i was concerned as this buck was constantly mounting a smaller/terrified bun and that it could be pregnant :shock:she said that they were all males so that was O.K. then:evil:as they were all quite young it,s possible that they hadn't been sexed properly so some poor mug could end up buying a pregnant bunny:cry:and why was the buck left to terrify the poor little grey bun:censored:i left fuming:evil:

I understand how you feel, i was in pets at home fleetlingly and i saw they had some sort of offer on buy 2 rabbits for something or other! disgusting!

See I don't think that's too bad, at least it encourages people to buy two and not one lone rabbit.

Ass. Manager shouldn't have had it in a box - he's lucky I didn't punch his lights out -he wasn't sorry!!

;) sounds like an appropriate shortening of assistant there...

I can imagine exactly the tone he used with you, I've been asked before in P@H if I wanted to exchange my sick hamster for a new one :shock:

Have to agree I think the 2 for £x offer is quite a good idea though, as it encourages people to buy in pairs. Sometimes they have lone chinchillas :( and I thought chinchillas got depressed when they live alone

See I don't think that's too bad, at least it encourages people to buy two and not one lone rabbit.

see i thought that was wrong when i went in there,to have a special offer on them... it felt soo sordid, like instead of making a commitment in buying them, it resembles a tescos bogof offer!

see i thought that was wrong when i went in there,to have a special offer on them... it felt soo sordid, like instead of making a commitment in buying them, it resembles a tescos bogof offer!

Yes I know what you mean. It seems to devalue them but I think in the end it is a good idea.

Shame they don't sell many hutches big enough though. :roll:

i dunno i saw a brilliant one, it was huge!!!!

my son even got in it and closed the door... the lightbulb went off in my head and i was tempted to buy 2... one for buzz and one for the boy!!! shame it seriosuly exceeded my budget :(

my first hutch was from P@H. its held up reasonably well, had to put bolts on it to put it outside though. Its not a great size, the piggies are in it now even though i bought it for buns and it has rabbits on the front :lol: poor pigs must be so confused.

i actually really like the pets at home i used to go to.. i feel like a kid at xmas wandering around the place.. Ste hates it because i stand for ages admiring the giants and degus :love::love::love::love:

i dont go there because i cant afford to :lol::lol::lol::lol:

if people dont like pets at home i dont understand why they shop there :? plenty of alternatives out there :wave::wave:

im afraid i also like pets at home, but i spend wayyy to much money.. i spend ages looking at the rabbits and the weird hamstery things that i cant remember the names of!! i love getting ideas from the toys to see what we can make for buzz and the chippies

Back