• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental Bunny :(

benkat

Warren Scout
Hi everyone!
I took my 2 bun's for their annual vaccinations & health check yesterday. One of my bun's has got a dental spur on the left lower side & a long tooth root on the right lower side.
My vet said that neither are causing a problem at the moment, so no immediate action needs to be taken. She said I need to monitor the situation & gave me some useful tips, but obviously, I am worried now.
Can anyone advise me on how quickly these things can develop?
Just for info, she is 3 years old. I have previously posted a thread in regard to her rear end problems, which it now seems, the weight issue, her problems & her dental issues are all linked. We are working hard on her diet, but just need some advice on how long it's likely to be before she has to have dental 'treatment'........
Many thanks in advance :)

It's impossible to give you a time-scale as everyBun is different.
Certainly getting her onto a diet that is 80-90% hay/grass will help.

I would take her back for a Dental checkup every 4 weeks or sooner if you notice that she selective feeds, goes off certain foods, has a wet chin or runny eyes or if her poos become very small.

Like Jane said, it's difficult to say.
We manage to keep Salt's spur problem at bay with lots of hay - dust free stalky seems to be a favourite.
I keep an eye on dribbling, poos and matted front paws.

Back