• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do re: excess caecotrophs??

What should I do?

• Cut down his pellets?

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Cut down his vegetables?

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Take him to the vets for a dental (I assume he had one 6 weeks ago when he was neutered)

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Just leave him as he is and see if his stomach settles

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Poor poor little Zero the Hero :cry:

I managed to clear his special poos up for a few days, but he has started leaving one a day again, and I just don't know what I can do.

He has been fully on Science Selective pellets for about a week now, and I haven't introduced him to any new veg. Yesterday he had spring greens, a tiny bit of broccoli and watercress. He has unlimited hay.

wish i knew. holly is still leaving them herself. shes been her 4 weeks and is totally well (vet checked) but is leaving the poops.

i stopped veg made no difference, ive cut pellets down to a min again no difference.

im just getting used to the little presents from my dirty girl :)

Daisy went through a phase of leaving them a month or so ago she also had a bit of a mucky bum at the same time! I wonder if they have a little upset tum or slight dysbyosis and it makes the cecos less 'apetising' or something?!

I'm sure you have said in previous posts but how many pellets does he get per day? My pair are not on pellets at the mo as I withdraw them completely during the summer months and gradually reintroduce them when the weather gets colder. I was finding even with a small hanful between them daily they were eating far less in the summer and having smaller poos.

A tiny handful, about 20-30g. He used to be on Burgess and get 60g :shock: I changed him really slowly over 2 weeks though, and that seemed to clear him up for a few days.

I keep checking for sticky bum but he is ok, he does seem to end up covered in his own pee a lot though :roll:

I'd avoid cutting out the veg as they need the moisture to keep their guts moving.
If they only have dry pellets and dry hay then they're more likely to suffer stasis, particularly in this warmer weather when they're more likely to become dehydrated.
I'd keep the diet as norm, and just keep an eye on it.
Some rabbits just don't eat all their caecotrophs.

Yeah, I like to feed them their veg dripping wet as well. I take the veg straight from the fridge, might this be one of the reasons why? He has no trouble eating and I assume he had a dental when he was neutered, so I don't think its his teeth. He's bright and healthy, but it just makes me sick with worry to see them.

Might be worth taking his veg out the fridge the night before (if you feed am) and let it get to room temp - worth a try!

ive realised today (well i think i have) holly sleeps SO DEEP she doesnt realise shes pooped and by the time shes moved they are all cold and yukky.

i dont expect her to ever eat them all after today and i have definately stopped worrying about it.

i love the fact shes relaxed enough to proper sleep eyes shut and everything :love::love::love:

ive realised today (well i think i have) holly sleeps SO DEEP she doesnt realise shes pooped and by the time shes moved they are all cold and yukky.

i dont expect her to ever eat them all after today and i have definately stopped worrying about it.

i love the fact shes relaxed enough to proper sleep eyes shut and everything :love::love::love:

Zero sleeps like this as well! When he first did it I was horrified thought the worst had happened! its so cute though :love::love:

I would keep up with some veggies as I think that is my problem with Twinkle... she always gets excess C poops when she has veggies so she hasnt been given any for a while .. and now she has statis and is at the vets.... and because Sparkle lives with her, he never got veggies too and he was looking like he was struggling a bit as he had lots of strung together poops... (he is now better as has had veggies for last few days).

I am now always gonna give veggies and just check Twinkle's bum for problems... (will ask the vet when I see him again for advice re the excess poops).

Rather deal with a mucky bum than statis!!

It was too many pellets that did it to Lola. She gets about the same as your one gets now though so maybe it's not the pellets, as I voted! :?

I would keep up with some veggies as I think that is my problem with Twinkle... she always gets excess C poops when she has veggies so she hasnt been given any for a while .. and now she has statis and is at the vets.... and because Sparkle lives with her, he never got veggies too and he was looking like he was struggling a bit as he had lots of strung together poops... (he is now better as has had veggies for last few days).

I am now always gonna give veggies and just check Twinkle's bum for problems... (will ask the vet when I see him again for advice re the excess poops).

Rather deal with a mucky bum than statis!!

This is a good point about preferring mucky bum to stasis! And he is a house bun so even if they start sticking to him it could be worse!

I think the only way I could cut them down is to stop giving him pellets altogether. OH has fed for the past two days though and he is a bit heavy-handed with the pellets... he thinks I am being cruel for not giving them loads :roll:

Piglet's doing this at the moment. She had a dental last week so it's not her teeth, she's now back on metacam incase it's her spine that's the problem but she still produced them today even with the metacam and with minimal pellets :( I guess just reduce the pellets even more and see how she goes, don't want her losing too much but he said she could do with losing a little bit :oops:

I'd reduce the pellets rather than the veg

I found that cutting out veg reduced the special poops, but the vet said he is healthy so I have reintroduced veg and he special poops some more now. I just clean it up and he is fine. So for mine, this is just they way he is.

Clover had a sticky bum and excess special poops until I found this forum and discovered I was feeding way too many pellets and too much carrot. I've cut the pellets right down, and the carrots, and they get dandelion leaves, herbs and bramble leaves regularly. he has a lovely fluffy white bottom underneath, and only occassionally leaves a special poop :D

why does it only seem to happen to white bellied buns?? :roll::lol: mine only get a tiny bit of carrot each once a fortnight or so, they used to get one carrot a day each!

how much sweet veg does he get? Baby corn, mangetout, carrot, fruit? We found that was the culprit with Mini.

how much sweet veg does he get? Baby corn, mangetout, carrot, fruit? We found that was the culprit with Mini.

He used to get loads of carrot, now he gets broccoli and kale once a week or so, spring greens, mint, parsley, watercress, rocket

Back