• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wish me luck guys.... gonna look at a Piggy in the shelter now!!!

I have given my heart to a piggy called Max! He has just arrived and has to be neutered so I wouldn't be able to have him for 4 weeks. Gives me time to think a bit more! They would ideally like a wife ready for him but have no ladies in the shelter.

I thought you were never coming back!!!

Max isn't the one you showed us, is he? Did you take any pics :D????
D'oh!! No I was too busy cuddling Max!! He is short haired, ginger on the bottom, white in the top with a ginger face with white down his nose. Like a dutch rabbit only tan ... And.... A guinea pig! I kissed his little head, we rubbed noses, I cuddled him, I scratched his little ears. I renamed him Eric. Oooooh he's lovely. Need to keep a straight head and think carefully. Tell me all the negitives about piggies!!!

D'oh!! No I was too busy cuddling Max!! He is short haired, ginger on the bottom, white in the top with a ginger face with white down his nose. Like a dutch rabbit only tan ... And.... A guinea pig! I kissed his little head, we rubbed noses, I cuddled him, I scratched his little ears. I renamed him Eric. Oooooh he's lovely. Need to keep a straight head and think carefully. Tell me all the negitives about piggies!!!

er.... their pee is hot! can't really think of any real big negatives. they need more cleaning out than bunnies cos they don't tend to litter train (food goes in one end and out the other pretty much simultaneously....)

they are lovely little characters :love:

Ours get a full clean once a day, but they live in the kitchen so we have to keep them really clean.

Does he look like this? (This is Ginger)

wonderlandbunniesandpiggies021.jpg

Yep, they're lovely! Messy little toads, but lovely! If you really really want a downside, for me it's their fragility in illness. :(

Guess we've been lucky and never had a poorly one :)

Yeah. I lost my "The Black and White One" recently. Enlarged heart. Completely by surprise as he was absolutely fine the night before! Luckily our vet diagnosed it very quick after we got him there when we saw him the next morning and so he didn't suffer as we PTS. Unfortunately, they just seem so good at hiding illness and when it shows, it's so hard to get them well. He had no signs whatsoever!

Tell me all the negitives about piggies!!!

They poo and wee everywhere!!! And they eat non-stop!! My long haired is stinky and needs a bath.

They are really cute to watch playing though but I tend to get more interaction with my bunnie than them.

Yeah. I lost my "The Black and White One" recently. Enlarged heart. Completely by surprise as he was absolutely fine the night before! Luckily our vet diagnosed it very quick after we got him there when we saw him the next morning and so he didn't suffer as we PTS. Unfortunately, they just seem so good at hiding illness and when it shows, it's so hard to get them well. He had no signs whatsoever!

Aw, poor little fella :(

Ours get a full clean once a day, but they live in the kitchen so we have to keep them really clean.

Does he look like this? (This is Ginger)

wonderlandbunniesandpiggies021.jpg

Yes! Just like that but darker - like a red setter colour nearly but a bit brighter!

That's a lovely wee piggie

Last edited:
Yep, they're lovely! Messy little toads, but lovely! If you really really want a downside, for me it's their fragility in illness. :(

I'd agree with that the guineas we had sadly we had health issues with. Our first 2 pigs one died just over a year old really unexpectedly sadly he never made it to the vets my mum was on the way when he died :cry: and Ziggy Startuft had some sort of stroke at about 3 year old :cry:

Little Peppa lived till about 4 but sadly he had cataracts in both eyes so we couldn't really move anything in his cage or he would bump into it :(

Oooh am I asking for heartbreak? I wonder could I get my head round the fact that I could offer him a good home and if he did get ill and die I would know that he was loved and happy while I had him. I'll think carefully - am very soft where animals are concerned. He is lovely though! :love:

Oooh am I asking for heartbreak? I wonder could I get my head round the fact that I could offer him a good home and if he did get ill and die I would know that he was loved and happy while I had him. I'll think carefully - am very soft where animals are concerned. He is lovely though! :love:

We've had piggies for over 30 years (I was very young when we first had them!) It may be just luck, but they've lived between 5 -7 years on average (one was 8!), with no problems. One had cataracts, but he still had a good life. We've always had between 2 - 5 piggies at a time. It's just the luck of the draw, really.

To be honest we may just have been unlucky. It caused my mum so much heartbreak though that as much as she loves piggies she refuses to have anymore. :(

Back