• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

£415 for stitches

wow that really is a record cost :shock::shock:

did they do other stuff like admitting the bun, xrays and GA and painkiller etc?

or just stitches :shock::shock::shock:

I just spent about £150 on xrays yesterday for one of my buns for rehoming so it shows what the costs can be, but that is a lot of money.

Wow that does seem a lot - can you get a full receipt/ask for a breakdown to see how it's been calculated?

That's outrageous :shock:

Have they given you an itemised Bill ?

ETA It wouldn't be a branch of Medivet by any chance ?

One of our buns had to be stitched in 2 areas a couple of months ago.

She had to have a general anaesthetic, pain relief etc AND it was out of hours. It cost us £75.

I would definitely ask for an itemised bill.

Thats a huge amount. Evie had two inches worth of staples and stutures under GA along with pain relief and baytrill for a few days afterwards, plus a check up and stitches removed for the bargain price of £150

That's outrageous :shock:

Have they given you an itemised Bill ?

ETA It wouldn't be a branch of Medivet by any chance ?

Yep - you guessed it medivet! and no not out of hours. When they told me the cost I was in shock, I rang another vets that we have used before but they said it was hard to give a quote over the phone without seeing her, but they were only coming out £50 cheaper. I didn't really have the presence of mind to think of anywhere else to go (before I left for the vet the water tank in our loft started leaking badly and water was pouring through the celing and my husband is away all weekend - stress)

itemisation of bill:

injection fees - 48.72
dispensing fees - 18.75
anaesthesia - 183.43
surgery simple - 135.32
hospitilasation - 29.21

I think I may argue against the last one when I collect her as she isn't staying in, no idea what the injection fee is. I feel quite upset about it. When I took her to my branch yesterday there was no mention of the cost, then it all comes out today when I have travelled over there and am already stressed (although that part isn't their fault!!) :evil:

I think that is absolutely outrageous. I wouldn't blame anyone for saying that they couldn't afford that. I would be in shock from that bill.

Yep - you guessed it medivet! and no not out of hours. When they told me the cost I was in shock, I rang another vets that we have used before but they said it was hard to give a quote over the phone without seeing her, but they were only coming out £50 cheaper. I didn't really have the presence of mind to think of anywhere else to go (before I left for the vet the water tank in our loft started leaking badly and water was pouring through the celing and my husband is away all weekend - stress)

itemisation of bill:

injection fees - 48.72
dispensing fees - 18.75
anaesthesia - 183.43
surgery simple - 135.32
hospitilasation - 29.21

I think I may argue against the last one when I collect her as she isn't staying in, no idea what the injection fee is. I feel quite upset about it. When I took her to my branch yesterday there was no mention of the cost, then it all comes out today when I have travelled over there and am already stressed (although that part isn't their fault!!) :evil:

Why am I not surprised :roll:

Did they give you a quote before they proceeded ?

IMO there is no way they can justify such exorbitant prices :evil:

Me neither Jane! ;)

My eyes are watering just thinking about it! Some of those fees seem outrageously high, I don't see how they can justify that much either :?

I can't get over the shock of that :shock::shock:

Artie had emergency surgery (bladder) on a bank holiday last year and was hospitalised for a week for aftercare and it cost £100 less than that :shock: (The actual bladder surgery cost less than the "surgery simple" listed there) :shock:

*has palpitations on your behalf*

I can't get over the shock of that :shock::shock:

Artie had emergency surgery (bladder) on a bank holiday last year and was hospitalised for a week for aftercare and it cost £100 less than that :shock: (The actual bladder surgery cost less than the "surgery simple" listed there) :shock:

*has palpitations on your behalf*

*Nurse, smelling salts for Bunny Buddy please*.....................:shock:

the vets where i live didn't mention the cost at all, in fact they were going to take her from yesterday (so would have been an overnight stay too) I said no I would take her in. But thinking about it now I wouldn't have been told the cost until I got the bill. The only reason i did today is because the receptionist in the other vets made sure i got one as she obviously knew prices were high.

I didn't ask the cost yesterday as it seemed irrelevant if she needed it done, then it had to be done. How many peoples pets end up not being treated because they can't afford it? terrifying.

I feel really angry about this, but not sure what I can do really - if thats their prices do I have a leg to stand on? probably not!

I've just pulled out Keiths bill from the other day.

The prices are listed excluding and including VAT, so i'll say with vat included:

GA- Rabbit: £56.44
Dental: £79.01 (he had a damaged tooth removed, all the others burred down to the gum)
3 injections (metacam, metoclopramide, baytril): £15 all together (but listed seperately)
Consultation £24
Fluids injected under skin: £2.53
medication to take home (baytril, metacam, supreme science recovery which he didn't end up needing): £22

So yeah, you were overcharged!

Back