• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Routine - What's yours?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Morning

Well now I have the bunnies home I'd really like to get into a good daily/weekly routine with them so I wondered if you'd mind sharing your daily bunny routine with me so I can pinch your ideas! lol

It would be a big help because when Mitzy was here we just kind of muddled through but with the new buns I really want to get a routine going.

So, what is your daily bunny routine?

Thanks, Jo x

Morning:

Get jumped on by the lops. Push them off, get jumped on again. Repeat about 15 times.

Get up. Have lops circling my feet as I try to get out the door. (I can't feed them straight away I'm trying to get them out of the 'we pee on mum's bed, she gets up, we get food' thing.)

Go feed the lionheads - half a scoop of pellets (about an eggcup) between them. Attempt to get some hay in their litter tray while they go mad eating pellets.

Open their door so they can run in the room. Check their water.

About half an hour later, give lops their pellets (one scoop about two eggcups - they're on double at the moment) and try and get hay in litter tray.

Evening:

Fill salad spinner with veg and wash. Attempt to get their bowls out of their enclosures without getting nipped. Divide veg between bowls. (Sometimes handfeed a baby corn too)

Before bed:

Do a light clean of the lionheads enclosure which just involves sweeping anything that's escaped from the litter tray while fighting Nutmeg off from running off with my dustpan.

Hand feed remaining half a scoop of pellets. Attempt to get more hay in litter tray.

Shut them away. Get down on hands and knees and sweep the floor with dustpan and brush.

Then fill lops litter tray with hay. Sweep their enclosure and floor while they munch.

Finally hand feed them their remaining pellets.

Morning: greens and broccoli and hay top up. Water change. I always hand feed their veg so they stretch up and I can do a sneaky health check at the same time.

Teatime: small piece of carrot and some herbs each

Bedtime: pellets (about 10 each) and more hay.

I clean out their litter trays every other day and do a major sweep out once a week. Fortunately they are all litter trained and so the sweep up is just old hay and a good tidy up of where they've been throwing their things around!

7.40 ish - Revelry (cant spell that) Open rabbit shutters, let them out for a run while change water, change litter, speep poop of shed floor, take out any dirty hay and replace with a bundle of new stuff (while I'm doing this I give them their veg by hand, just to get rid of them as they circle round my feet and sit on the dust pan!!! :roll:

At about 8.10 I get their pellets in their dishes and they run after me into their shed to get them. They leap in, I put the dishes down, they guzzle and I lock the door and go to work.

4.30 ish - Quick chect to make sure they're eating - Home from work, stick something yummy through the bars at them - dill, broccoli, dandilion. As long as they are leaping about and eating well I'm happy and leave them to go for dinner at folks house (I know I'm lazy when it comes to cooking!!)

7.00 ish - Home and time for bunnies to have decent freeranging time. Open door, let them out - take the lid off their soil pit and sit with a coffee and the dog on the deck and watch them. About 8 or 8.30, maybe even 9 - depending on weather. Give fresh hay, some herbs, sit down with them and feed a couple of treats, wee stroke (if they let me! :roll:) and the other half of their pellets which they leap after me into their shed for.

Kiss night night, love you, love you ("Ah get orf mum!")

About 10.00 Close shutters "night night guys - sleep tight and don't chew your box it's too noisy!" This is my life :D

6am - take covers from aviary. have 4 rabbits all demanding noserubs at the same time. feed small amount of carrot, pellets, check water is ok and plenty of hay. Look in poop trays and tell them how beautiful their poops are.

8am - take some dandelions etc in for them.tell them what i'll be doing for the day, and when I'll be out to see them.

11am grooming time. they groom for an hour.

12 - 4 sleep time. sometimes they will acknowledge me if I come bearing food. or I might just get completely ignored if they are busy relaxing....

4pm cleaning out and refilling waterbottles

evening - more hay and green stuff (herbs, brambles etc)

9pm tuck them in for the night

I pop out many times during the day to talk to them, give nose rubs, rumple bums etc.

6am - take covers from aviary. have 4 rabbits all demanding noserubs at the same time. feed small amount of carrot, pellets, check water is ok and plenty of hay. Look in poop trays and tell them how beautiful their poops are.

8am - take some dandelions etc in for them.tell them what i'll be doing for the day, and when I'll be out to see them.

11am grooming time. they groom for an hour.

12 - 4 sleep time. sometimes they will acknowledge me if I come bearing food. or I might just get completely ignored if they are busy relaxing....

4pm cleaning out and refilling waterbottles

evening - more hay and green stuff (herbs, brambles etc)

9pm tuck them in for the night

I pop out many times during the day to talk to them, give nose rubs, rumple bums etc.

Oh that sounds like a lovely day! :p

Get up go down to Louie, he nudges me continually with his nose while I get his breakfast.

He eats, then harrasses the cat for a while before they both go outside for a while. Back in for loads of hours of snoozing.

Evening, feed again, change litter tray, have lots of fusses and play with Louie.

Bedtime.

Routine? Hmm...

Morning: Get woken up to boyfriend shouting "KEITH GET OUT FROM UNDER MY FEET" as he goes down first and Keith attempts to be stepped on.

Go downstairs and shut Keith in living room while boyfriend gets ready for work. I have cup of tea while Keith attempts to distract me from doing anything other than give him attention.

Struggle to get ready for work while Keith follows me around and tries to get under my feet.

(at the moment fall out when I give him baytril, make up when I give him treats).

Give him food, water, hay etc so he's happily munching while I leave for work.

Evening:
Get home from work, get greeted for a bit, go upstairs to get changed, Keith follows me up and remembers how much he likes sitting under the comfy chair in my room.

Don't see him for an hour or two.

Keith remembers we're here and runs down. Keith jumps on and off us and sofa, does mad runs around the room, demands head rubs, generally gets himself in the way.
Litter tray is emptied under Keiths very close supervision.

Give Keith his food before bed.

1hr later: hear him scratching at bedroom door. Attempt to ignore him and go to sleep. Unless boyf isn't staying over in which case bedroom door is left open and he jumps on my head.

Weekends are different...

Make tea and fetch treats and keith joins us in the bedroom. Sniffs around floor for a bit before hopping onto bed to receive treats. he runs around bed and tries to sit on our books as we read. Plenty of book sniffing and chewing.

11/12am to 5/6pm he naps, usually under the chair in my room.

6pm, the crazy begins...

I wouldn't call it a routine exactly.

8am - pellets, fresh water and clean litter tray.. then sadly leave my little gems while i go to work :(

6pm - get in give them a crunchy each to make sure they are eating :oops:
put the fresh dandelions and brambles in cold water to clean then give them thier veg supper, more hay open up cage for free time.

11pm - pellets, more hay, bed time, more water for the night.

very simple but if i change even a little Alvin can get stasis :( even on a weekend if i open the cage up before 6pm the buns stay in there until the right time :shock: :lol::lol:

Aww thanks for all your replies, this is really helpful, please keep your replies coming, I'm usually sooo not organised and this is helping a lot!

I do have another question about litter training as well ..... as they're both only 8 weeks old and not 'done' yet, do you think its possible to litter train them or would it be best to just wait until after their neuters??

Thanks, Jo x

Aww thanks for all your replies, this is really helpful, please keep your replies coming, I'm usually sooo not organised and this is helping a lot!

I do have another question about litter training as well ..... as they're both only 8 weeks old and not 'done' yet, do you think its possible to litter train them or would it be best to just wait until after their neuters??

Thanks, Jo x

with alvin i put a litter tray where he decided to pee. that was litter training sorted :wave::wave::wave:

i did keep a lot of litter trays about the more space he had though because i read little bladders need more places to pee

Thanks, Jo x

It depends on the rabbit. Smudge was so tidy before his neuter he just went in his litter tray anyway. But with others it's much more difficult unless they're neutered. It's probably worth trying but not stressing over if they don't get it.

Thanks .... at the moment they seem to mostly poop whenever/wherever they eat ..... but although I put hay in the litter tray, they appear to like sitting outside of it and leaning in to eat and pooping on the floor! lol

I've put some of their poops in the tray but they don't seem to 'get it' .....bless them..... mind, they have only been here for 24 hours!! lol

I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks but won't stress too much if it doesn't happen before they've been 'seen to'.

Jo x

Thanks .... at the moment they seem to mostly poop whenever/wherever they eat ..... but although I put hay in the litter tray, they appear to like sitting outside of it and leaning in to eat and pooping on the floor! lol

I've put some of their poops in the tray but they don't seem to 'get it' .....bless them..... mind, they have only been here for 24 hours!! lol

I'll see how I get on over the coming weeks but won't stress too much if it doesn't happen before they've been 'seen to'.

Jo x

youll never poop train them i think its a territory thing Alvin has an amazing knack of poop scattering as he jumps from the litter tray. something special to watch if you have a stasis bunny :love::love:, just pee can be trained, but even then theres accidents.. you will get used to picking up the poops tho :lol::lol: or invest in a handheld hoover if you dont want to touch bunny poops....

7am - open up the sheds and hutches so they can get in their runs.
8am - morning veggies served!
9am - 9pm spend the entire day rotating rabbits out in the garden for free range time (I have 5 pairs and a singleton so they all have an hour am and an hour+ pm)
8pm Put pellets down and change water bowls
10.30pm - shut up the sheds and pull down covers on hutches

Every other day I change litter trays and sweep up etc.
All of mine are good with their trays so there is rarely any other mess to tidy.

Mine are all really good with their litter trays - hardly any poops get done out of them :) I just placed the trays where they did the most poops, and that was all there was too it.

youll never poop train them i think its a territory thing Alvin has an amazing knack of poop scattering as he jumps from the litter tray. something special to watch if you have a stasis bunny :love::love:, just pee can be trained, but even then theres accidents.. you will get used to picking up the poops tho :lol::lol: or invest in a handheld hoover if you dont want to touch bunny poops....

I think Smudge is just a super tidy bun. Even though he was on the floor in his cage with the other three free-ranging he still did all his poops in his box!

I think Smudge is just a super tidy bun. Even though he was on the floor in his cage with the other three free-ranging he still did all his poops in his box!

:shock::shock::shock: wow how jealous am i.. even Pearl would scatter one or two a day :shock::shock:

i just have durty bunnies then :lol::lol::lol:

:shock::shock::shock: wow how jealous am i.. even Pearl would scatter one or two a day :shock::shock:

i just have durty bunnies then :lol::lol::lol:

You diiiiiiiiiiiiiiirty bunnies. I'm gonna say that to them through the webcam now.

You diiiirty diiiiirty bunnies. :lol:

Thing is, Nutmeg makes up for it now. :roll: So we have loads everywhere. Seems to happen if she gets a whiff of the other two so hopefully a fourway bond will solve it. The lops are really good too. So just my Nutmeg bun then. :roll:

Back