• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question - Do Buns with grey or non-brown eyes have a poor sight gene?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
I am beginning to wonder if buns who don't have brown eyes (and not just REW's or PEW's) have poorer sight. Just trying to bond a pair of buns for 'Moss' (Emma) and her smallest bun, Belle keeps lurching forwards - just like one of my own poor sighted rabbits. Belle is a dark grey mini lop. It may be the low light in our dining room that is the cause, but It did set me thinking, as I know a fair few blue/grey/pearl coloured buns with grey/shaded eye colouring and they also seem to have less than great sight.

Any thoughts folks? Anyone with buns with non-brown eyes that have seen anything to support this idea?

I have a blind bunny who has half gray half blue eyes in the same eye. But I think that is just coincidence :?

I have a blind bunny who has half gray half blue eyes in the same eye. But I think that is just coincidence :?

It may well be Liz, but it's just that I rehomed a family of 12 (the Wickham 12) and most of them that I still see don't have the best sight. There were 2 pews in the family, several broken fawns, one sooty pearl and one blue. The coloured buns all seemed to have grey coloured eyes. The sooty pearl girly and her brother the blue boy both don't have the greatest sight and she scans continuously. I have one of the PEW's and she doesn't scan but doesn't see really well. Her twin sister has got poor sight too.

And I have an Isabella girl with grey eyes and she doesn't see well either. Then we have our spinster Sally who we are sure has poor sight and poor hearing (if indeed she's not deaf) and she's a broken Isabella/grey and white lop. And now trying to bond this grey girl.

My two BEWs find the sun ver bright on their eyes (moreso than my REWs ever have), so they seem to be super sensitive, at the very least.

Badger has the Vienna gene and he also has a deep ruby glow in his very brown eyes, but I have not seen any indication he has eye sight problems.

Faith has blue eyes and has questionable sight. The vet couldn't say for sure how bad it was. Thing is sometimes Faith seems to see with no problems and other times she shows signs of poor sight.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:
Our female Amelie is grey with flecks of brown. Her eyes are a greyish colour and she does have *slight* problems with her sight. In some lights, her eyes have a very slight pinky tint.

Our female Amelie is grey with flecks of brown. Her eyes are a greyish colour and she does have *slight* problems with her sight. In some lights, her eyes have a very slight pinky tint.

Castiel also has a pinky tint to his eyes that only shows up in photos (you can see it in my signature photo), does this mean he has poor sight?

Back