• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My teddy has an abscess-trying Flagyl

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
My dear old bunny Teddy has developed an abscess on his cheek. :cry:he's had xrays but its hard to determine if it is tooth roots or an incisor root. He has always been a dental bunny and was very neglected when he came to me 4 years ago. He is at least 8 yars old and has very bad arthritus too.
We are trying him on Flagyl and baytril and he is alos on metacam. I have heard good things about flagyl so i just hope it works! My friend bunnybunny swears by it as it saved her bunny Bamse.
we have caught the abscess in the very early stages so i hope we won't have to open him up.
having had a severe dental bunny, fern and abscess bunny, joon....both who lost their battle...it does make this very hard:(
any advice or success stories would be great!

Awww bles, thank goodness you caught it early. Hope Teddy responds well.

Flagyl (metronidazole) is a pretty safe drug as it kills clostridia which is the main concern causing serious upset stomachs with bunnies using some antibiotics. It works on anaerobic bacteria so is probably a pretty good choice for a deep-rooted abscess. The only time I have known Santa with a dry nose in recent years is when she was on metronidazole. With hindsight I'd have carried on with it instead of stopping! So I guess my only advice would be to keep going a bit longer than you think you 'ought' to, obviously if your vet agrees.

Good luck xx

Although it wasn't an abscess, metronidazole and septrin combination worked really well for eddie :)

I hope it does the trick for teddy x

Oh bless Teddy Lisa :cry:

I've no real advice I'm afraid, other than I have heard that Zithromax can be could for treating abscesses in buns. Sending lots & lots of vibes for your old fella, really hoping you can treat it with meds xxx

Back