• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does fostering wee furrys work?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I was wanting to rescue guineapigs!! I'm thinking do rescues appreciate someone to foster little creatures like this. Does anyone out there with a rescue use foster people for animals? How does it work? How do the foster critters find new homes?

I would start by contacting your local rescue, that's what I did. I know some branches of the RSPCA need small furry fosterers. What part of the country are you looking to foster?

I would start by contacting your local rescue, that's what I did. I know some branches of the RSPCA need small furry fosterers. What part of the country are you looking to foster?

Oh I'm in N. Ireland. We have a USPCA close by and a lovely rescue called Assisi Animal Sanctuary. They have a gorgeous boy with a dust mite in hay alergy and he hasn't been handled so he's a bit jumpy and he's underweight. Wondering if I should start with something easier!!

Here he is - isn't he lovely?! :love:

http://www.assisi-ni.org/echo/

Oh I'm in N. Ireland. We have a USPCA close by and a lovely rescue called Assisi Animal Sanctuary. They have a gorgeous boy with a dust mite in hay alergy and he hasn't been handled so he's a bit jumpy and he's underweight. Wondering if I should start with something easier!!

Here he is - isn't he lovely?! :love:

http://www.assisi-ni.org/echo/

Oh, he's beautiful! He looks just like Smudge :love::love::love:

If you can cope with two pesky bunnies I'm sure you could handle a little piggy, even if he is nervous :D

:D piggies are easier to 'tame' than bunnies, they are more open to cuddling (obviously they don't love it as they are prey animals but they won't fight it the way buns do), and they don't bite! My boys do sometimes but only if they think I'm food, like if I hold my finger right in front of their faces!

:D piggies are easier to 'tame' than bunnies, they are more open to cuddling (obviously they don't love it as they are prey animals but they won't fight it the way buns do), and they don't bite! My boys do sometimes but only if they think I'm food, like if I hold my finger right in front of their faces!

Peanut used to bite. He could draw BLOOD!!!! :lol:
Just his way of saying he didn't want to be picked up. The other used to just pee on us when they'd had enough :roll:

Peanut used to bite. He could draw BLOOD!!!! :lol:
Just his way of saying he didn't want to be picked up. The other used to just pee on us when they'd had enough :roll:

:shock: really?? :lol::lol: what a little monkey! I was told Syrian hamsters never bite though, but mine have often taken a chunk out of me.

My boys tend to get a bit funny when they can smell the girls I think. At least they're not like the buns though, mine just bite me for the sake of it :lol:

Piggies are really friendly, and the squeaking is so cute. Ours live in the kitchen - every time the fridge door opens it sets them off!!!

Once you start fostering piggies you won't want to let them go :lol:

No, they will not be trained! A couple we've had used to fidget about and wed know to put them back home before they leaked. Guinea pig pee is VERY HOT!!!!

:lol::lol: the girls have never peed on me, think the boys did when I first got them. Those days are just a pee-coloured haze though, because Zero was going through his pee on everybody phase too...

Well, think I'll go and talk to the small animals girl at the sanctuary and see what they require of a fosterer. (or I could just keep him and get him a wifeypig). I'm off to look at housing again. Quite like that one on wheels if it was big enough. It could be moved for cleaning and moved into the cool in summer if the room got too hot. I could also wheel it outside. £150 though. :roll: Maybe I should wait and see if I have work for September before I give myself more furry little mouths to feed! :shock: (have kinda fallen in love with him though - those wee lips!):love:

Well, think I'll go and talk to the small animals girl at the sanctuary and see what they require of a fosterer. (or I could just keep him and get him a wifeypig). I'm off to look at housing again. Quite like that one on wheels if it was big enough. It could be moved for cleaning and moved into the cool in summer if the room got too hot. I could also wheel it outside. £150 though. :roll: Maybe I should wait and see if I have work for September before I give myself more furry little mouths to feed! :shock: (have kinda fallen in love with him though - those wee lips!):love:

Aw, guinea pig lips are the cutest :love:

And piggies are nowhere as expensive as rabbits to keep :)

Back