• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New VHD Thread: my vet has had more react to Lapinject!

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Went to vets today for Damson check up again - he got the all clear - though he is still about 97% rather than 100%.

BUT vet says she has had another bun react severely to VHD Lapinject in last couple of days and says until she has done some more asking round at other vets to see what their experience is (as opposed to what the vaccine makers say), or unless there are signs of an actual outbreak of VHD she will not be advising VHD jabs.

I asked whether we should go back to Cyclap instead and she gave the very definite impression she would be happier if we just held fire on VHD vacine altogether at present.

We cancelled the 5 that were due in June . . .

What sort of reaction? My vet has had less reactions to lapinject but Scamp reacted to that where he'd been fine with cylap :roll:

Thanks for sharing this info, it is very worrying :?

we had 4 VHD'd this morning and have another 5 going in tomorrow, along with more next week. All 4 are fine so far today :)

Went to vets today for Damson check up again - he got the all clear - though he is still about 97% rather than 100%.

BUT vet says she has had another bun react severely to VHD Lapinject in last couple of days and says until she has done some more asking round at other vets to see what their experience is (as opposed to what the vaccine makers say), or unless there are signs of an actual outbreak of VHD she will not be advising VHD jabs.

I asked whether we should go back to Cyclap instead and she gave the very definite impression she would be happier if we just held fire on VHD vacine altogether at present.

We cancelled the 5 that were due in June . . .

Could it simply be a dodgy batch?

Not sure if it could be a dodgy batch . .

It seems that it takes about 36 hours to effect them (I know KirstyandLolas was quicker) just like Cylap BUt whereas Cylap always just seemed to be a fairly mild effect with mild lassitude and a limp, this is severe.

This reaction was just like Damsons - went floppy and feverish and then stopped eating and appeared in pain (muscle pain we presume)..

funny you should mention this as i asked my vet about it recently when bisc and matt had theirs, and he has never known a reaction to cylap, but he has to lapinject... :?

Lapinject has an onset of immunity time of 6 days compared to 21 in cylap - I wonder if it's harder on the bun's immune system which can cause a much more severe adverse reaction if the bun isn't in tip-top health?

if the vaccine (either one) does this to bunnies i cannot begin to imagine the hell and suffering a rabbit with the actual illness goes through before it is released by death :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Not sure if it could be a dodgy batch . .

It seems that it takes about 36 hours to effect them (I know KirstyandLolas was quicker) just like Cylap BUt whereas Cylap always just seemed to be a fairly mild effect with mild lassitude and a limp, this is severe.

:shock::shock: I had 3 of mine vaccinated yesterday and FHB is on hols now :shock: I wouldn't have taken that risk if I'd known :? *touches wood* they appear okay at the moment but thanks for the warning.

Personally I would need more evidence of adverse reactions from Lapinject.

I have had over 30 Rabbits vaccinated with it every year over the last 3-4 years and so far not one has had a bad reaction. But with Cylap I saw the 'post vaccination limp', severe skin reactions, GI stasis.

I do however, wonder if yearly vaccinations are truly necessary. Maybe immunity lasts longer than 12 months. It has been found that Dogs were in fact being over-vaccinated but no research has been done for Rabbits.

We have never had a problem with either of the VHD vaccinations over the past 12 years, yet we have had quite a few poorly after their myxi :?

After 8 of 16 reacted horrifically to Cylap in 2008, I was understandably nervous about how they might react to Lapinject, but apart from one who developed a very small area of bare fur they were all fine, much to my relief!

I have had my 18 (was slightly fewer!) done with Lapinject ever since it came out and never had a problem BUT when I did have a problem it was severe.

I think that is the difference.

Cylap I had quite a few that reacted but it was a minor inconvenience when they reacted - Lapinject seems like less react , BUT if they react its severe.

I did wonder about reverting to Cylap . . .

So tricky isn't it. Did we even question these things when the choice was cylap or nothing :? Because of its nature, it's difficult to know quite how much of it is around so it's really difficult to make a judgement call based on the risk of each option as there are so many unknowns :?

All of mine current and previous have had both cylap and/or lapinject over the years and I've never had a serious problem so I will carry on with vaccinations as usual unless recommendations change.

I have had my 18 (was slightly fewer!) done with Lapinject ever since it came out and never had a problem BUT when I did have a problem it was severe.

I think that is the difference.

Cylap I had quite a few that reacted but it was a minor inconvenience when they reacted - Lapinject seems like less react , BUT if they react its severe.

I did wonder about reverting to Cylap . . .

Yes, but Damson had only recently had a nephrectomy so I dont think we can use his horrible vaccination experience as an example :?

No way would I EVER use Cylap again.................

I do however, wonder if yearly vaccinations are truly necessary. Maybe immunity lasts longer than 12 months. It has been found that Dogs were in fact being over-vaccinated but no research has been done for Rabbits.

Agree 100% with this. I only vaccinate my dogs if their titre levels are almost zero. And even then, I have to think carefully about it. However, the buns are jabbed three times a year :roll:. Unfortunately, if you want to board your bunnies when you go on holiday, you have to have the VHD jab annually (as well as myxi of course).

Both my stasis-prone buns were unwell after Lapinject, which was what made me decide not to vaccinate them again (this was over a year before they were PTS, so they weren't in really bad health by that point). They both needed Metoclopramide that day.

Back