• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit is acting a bit odd.

Apples88

New Kit
I have a 4 ½ mini lop called Oliver who i was told was a boy although now i’m thinking Oli might be a girl. I was rabbit sitting my friends little boy a few weeks ago and now, long story short i’m pretty sure my little boy is pregnant. This is not the best of scenarios but hey what can you do, that’s life. I’m a bit worried however because s/he was perfectly fine til maybe yesterday when s/he got a bit sluggish. She’s stopped doing anything active. And she looks rather fat. She just kinda sits there its not exactly lethargy its more just a refusal to move. I wouldn’t be too worried about it except her poos are really small. I heard this is to do with slow digestion and pineapple will sort it out so i gave her a very weak pineapple juice and water solution because i don’t want to give her the runs. It helped for a bit but now they are tiny again. Not sure what to do now? I don’t really want to take her to the vet unless i have to because i no longer have access to a car and its all the way in the next town so it will be a looong journey and i don’t want to stress her anymore than necessary. That being said I want her to be as healthy as possible. Do you think i should try with more pineapple? Any other natural remedies? Am i over reacting?

Do you think she may be love sick? She did seem to bond with the other little rabbit. I felt terrible to separate them but he wasn’t my rabbit to keep. If she IS pregnant after her kits are born and all grown up i’m going to buy her a neutered little friend i think. But first things first what do i do now?

I am afraid that she needs to be seen by a Vet today.
Pineapple juice may actually make matters worse if she is bordering on GI stasis, the sugar in it will 'feed' the bad gut bacteria risking gut dysbiosis.

It sounds as though your Rabbit may be in pain so analgesia would also be needed.

What Jane says. Keeping fingers crossed the vet can help.

Just to say, though, please don't put rabbits in together unless you plan to keep them together. It just causes unnecessary stress in the long run (sorry to nag - I guess yopu realise that now anyway!). It definately sounds like your little one would like a friend though, so maybe that's something you could look into, when he/she's been done.

Loads of 'not pregnant' vibes.

I was told to give her belly a feel to check for marble sized lumps to see if she's pregnant. There are none so i'm guessing she's not.

Currently trying to get an appointment at the vet but the phone is ringing out so i'm gonna try again in ten minutes. Is there anything else you think i could do for her while i wait? She is eating as normal, if not more than normal. She is isn't drinking much however. Should i force it down her with the syringe?

Im not sure if she is in pain. She isn't grinding her teeth or anything and she still comes bounding out when she hears the food bag. The man and Pets at home said she needed more greens so i gave her some apple and cabbage. She ate it and doesn't seem to be any worse for it but not any better either.

Bit confused now actually. I wasn't that worried but you've scared me a little. If i can't get an appointment do you think she'll make it through the night?

You should introduce veg really slowly and avoid fruit except as a treat. That could be part of the reason :( not your fault though, pets at home need to be educated more thoroughly. I would keep trying to get through to the vets.

Back