• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hygiene

neenee

Warren Scout
Having been reading some posts about fly strike, as most of the people on the forum its got me thinking. Neela has had many many problems, the main one being stomach upsets leading to a messy bum. She is inside now and has been whilst shes been ill but in a few weeks shes finally going back outside. Im now a bit wary because sometimes she does get a messy/smelly bum, although not so much now. Ive given her a few baths but try not to because it stresses her out but sometimes it just has to be done. Will this attract flys more? And can it lead to fly strike? Im thinking yes....
Iam very fussy with my rabbits hygiene and i clean them out every day im a bit of a neat freak :oops: I will be investing in some fly nets to reduce risks but atm iam worrying about putting her outside.....

You are so on the right forum.....
Whats that lemon oil.....Citronella....Use that...spray it round and about....check bums, keep clean, and pray!!!!:wave::shock:

Keeping them clean and dry is essential, be vigilant by check regularly and clean out litter trays at least daily. I use citronella in my sheds along with fly papers, which I tend to get caught up in more than the flies do:oops:

Keeping them clean and dry is essential, be vigilant by check regularly and clean out litter trays at least daily. I use citronella in my sheds along with fly papers, which I tend to get caught up in more than the flies do:oops:

I'm glad it's not just me then !!

I agree that being vigilant is the most important thing. I have not used anything like Rearguard for any of my Buns, even those with health issues or mobility problems. But you might want to discuss the use of Rearguard with your Vet.

Personally I prefer to try to approach the problem by stopping flies getting to Bun-ie fly-papers, fly netting, strict hygiene etc...etc.

ok so i will be investing in some citronella, ive heard some good things about it :) but what is rearguard?
Do you get anything you can put on the rabbit itself or would that be dangerous? My other two are very clean and never had a dirty hutch or bum its just little neela...again :p poor thing

Is it possible to try and sort her tum problems out or have you tried that already? We thought Mini was just going to be a bit sticky all her life and that she was 'just like that' but by reducing the sugar in her diet (carrot, mange tout, etc) we've managed to stop the sticky episodes all together.

ok so i will be investing in some citronella, ive heard some good things about it :) but what is rearguard?
Do you get anything you can put on the rabbit itself or would that be dangerous? My other two are very clean and never had a dirty hutch or bum its just little neela...again :p poor thing

I've never used it but I'm sure someone will be along to answer your questions and help you:D

Is it possible to try and sort her tum problems out or have you tried that already? We thought Mini was just going to be a bit sticky all her life and that she was 'just like that' but by reducing the sugar in her diet (carrot, mange tout, etc) we've managed to stop the sticky episodes all together.

They are pretty much sorted now, the main problems were excel pellet food and she had slight dental problems. Every so often if i give her veg or a tiny bit of fruit she will get squidgy poos :oops: So i dont tend to give her veg or fruit or any treats at all which is ashame as i cant give rufas any either and neela loves her treats but its got to be done ey....

I just want to warn you that Rearguard CAN cause the gut to slow down so please be careful using it on a tummy bun

They are pretty much sorted now, the main problems were excel pellet food and she had slight dental problems. Every so often if i give her veg or a tiny bit of fruit she will get squidgy poos :oops: So i dont tend to give her veg or fruit or any treats at all which is ashame as i cant give rufas any either and neela loves her treats but its got to be done ey....

Have you tried identifying exactly which veg causes it?

I'm glad it's not just me then !!

I agree that being vigilant is the most important thing. I have not used anything like Rearguard for any of my Buns, even those with health issues or mobility problems. But you might want to discuss the use of Rearguard with your Vet.

Personally I prefer to try to approach the problem by stopping flies getting to Bun-ie fly-papers, fly netting, strict hygiene etc...etc.

:lol: I used fly papers for the first time last year, and I'd left one hanging too low, I turned around and got attached, I had to go in the house with it dangling from my hair - trust me the only way to get it off was to cut my hair:oops: I now ensure they are high up in the roof of the sheds:oops:

Have you tried identifying exactly which veg causes it?

I dont give her broccoli at all anymore, not sure if shes allergic to it but the day she got really bad tummy upsets and got hospitilized, i gave her broccoli. Tbh anything can set her off, even just the usual pellets. i cant just give her hay as shes already underweight (but not as bad as she was) but i cant feed her too much pellets as it gives her the runs....

Back