• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Often GAs Possible without increasing risk?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Comfrey (dwarf lop) is showing signs of needing his back teeth done again. Usually it is about 12 weeks between needing done but this time only 6 weeks - it may just be that I am getting more sensitive to his 'signs' and picking it up earlier or possibly the huge amount of weeds around at moment means he is eating less hay (all of them are eating hardly any hay as so much dandelion etc), or a million other things I guess.

Having a GA only 6 weeks after another one seems scary - anyone known how if there is a time limit to frequency of GAs?

My nethie (Thistle) who has to have her incisors done every 2-3 weeks has to have it awake as she has no lungs left (pasturella got them :cry:) so its not been a question up to now. We would have had them out if she could take the GA.

Hmmm, I guess it's always going to be a balance between what is a good 'time limit' and what is suitable to be left :? Does your vet take the teeth back down to just above the gum?

Do you know what protocol your vet usually uses for this one? One of the things mentioned at the conference was that domitor and ketamine combinations which seem to be most commonly used tend to require higher doses on subsequent GAs so for rabbits requiring frequent GAs.

Brigitte Reusch uses a slightly different protocol now, especially as both have reversal agents available (from Vikkivet's notes this was: hypnorm + hypnovel, isoflo and morphine top-up, and reversed with buprenorphine and sarmazenil (from USA)). In our lecture they said that this combination is better for repeated GAs as it does not seem to have the same 'resistance' effects of dom+ket which require higher doses each time.

Don't know if that helps at all :?

Joe had 3 within 3 weeks and was in stasis for two of those, so delicate as bunnies are they can also be tough little things too when needs be ;)

Hope it all goes well for Comfrey x

Hmmm, I guess it's always going to be a balance between what is a good 'time limit' and what is suitable to be left :? Does your vet take the teeth back down to just above the gum?

Do you know what protocol your vet usually uses for this one? One of the things mentioned at the conference was that domitor and ketamine combinations which seem to be most commonly used tend to require higher doses on subsequent GAs so for rabbits requiring frequent GAs.

Brigitte Reusch uses a slightly different protocol now, especially as both have reversal agents available (from Vikkivet's notes this was: hypnorm + hypnovel, isoflo and morphine top-up, and reversed with buprenorphine and sarmazenil (from USA)). In our lecture they said that this combination is better for repeated GAs as it does not seem to have the same 'resistance' effects of dom+ket which require higher doses each time.

Don't know if that helps at all :?

Thats interesting - just have to find a way of getting that to my vet without her taking umbrage now . . .

Thats interesting - just have to find a way of getting that to my vet without her taking umbrage now . . .

Perhaps you could get hold of a copy of the notes from the vet stream and tactfully show them to her? That doesn't sound very tactful now I've written it down but you know what I mean. Perhaps if she sees it in writing from exotics in the field she might be open to considering it?

Our poor bunny had 3 GA in 3 days due statis! Really long story but all was ok and he pulled through fine, although very groggy but with lots of love and care he is fine now. Sending your bunny very best vibes:)

Perhaps you could get hold of a copy of the notes from the vet stream and tactfully show them to her? That doesn't sound very tactful now I've written it down but you know what I mean. Perhaps if she sees it in writing from exotics in the field she might be open to considering it?

Thought of that (you can buy the notes usually from RWA after a couple of weeks of the conference).

But it didn't sound very tactful to me either . . .

Trouble is she really is very very good and probably knows all this but isn't a vet that likes to talk technical with clients (my other one will but she does not do ops).

Thought of that (you can buy the notes usually from RWA after a couple of weeks of the conference).

But it didn't sound very tactful to me either . . .

Trouble is she really is very very good and probably knows all this but isn't a vet that likes to talk technical with clients (my other one will but she does not do ops).

But as an owner you might only be able to get the owner version of notes? Or can anyone request the vet version? I was hoping with your inside contacts you would be able to buy the vet version perhaps instead? I've not bought the notes before so wasn't sure how it worked.
Perhaps you could just ask her then how risky she feels repeat GA's are from her own knowledge as a regular concerned owner rather than bring the conference notes into it at all? Perhaps she might say the same things as the conference lecturer after all?

But as an owner you might only be able to get the owner version of notes? Or can anyone request the vet version? I was hoping with your inside contacts you would be able to buy the vet version perhaps instead? I've not bought the notes before so wasn't sure how it worked.
Perhaps you could just ask her then how risky she feels repeat GA's are from her own knowledge as a regular concerned owner rather than bring the conference notes into it at all? Perhaps she might say the same things as the conference lecturer after all?

They are sold on the http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=697 vet stream and http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=698 owners and care workers

Back