• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Day tomorrow! (now with pics)

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Don't know if anyone will remember but I recently looked after a rabbit for a few weeks called Mitzy and joined RU because I had about 101 different questions to ask.

Well, when Mitzy went to her forever home and I was gutted, I really missed her - even after only having her for 6 weeks. I had no idea how attached I'd get so quickly.

I've always wanted rabbits but OH has never been keen but even he fell in love with Mitzy, and after seeing how gutted I was about her going, as a surprise he arranged for us to have two bunnies from a friend of a friend - she's a breeder/boarder but I have seen the set up several times and she does truly love her bunnies and the place is spotless and the bunnies seem very well cared for (they'd have to be or nobody would board with them I spose)!!

Had I known what he was going to do, I'd have gone down the rescue route instead but his hands were already tied and as he was trying to do something lovely for me I didn't want to seem ungrateful.

So, I can pick them up tomorrow and I can't wait. We've built a hutch (double decker 5ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft) and attached run (5ft x 7ft) for them and I have my carry case at the ready along with a whole world of toys, trays, hay, food, loo roll innards, boxes, gnaw stones, baskets, pet beds, chubes, tunnels, balls etc etc etc

Just wondered if anyone had any top tips for when I get the bunnies home??

Thanks, Jo x

Last edited:
Aww! That is very thoughtful of him! :D
I bet your excited!

Do you know their genders? :D
Any name ideas yet? ;)

:love::love:

Yeah, I'm as giddy as a kipper!!

We're getting a girl and boy so I'm going to have to sort out them being 'done' and suss out if they'll need separating (Ali was saying that you can get the boy done as young as 12 weeks and because he hasn't matured properly there's no need to separate because there'll be no residual 'juices' knocking about).

Names I like so far as sooty & sweep, dizzi and rascal, smudge and squidge but I keep changing my mind, I'm hoping that once I get them home something that really suits them will just pop into my head.

I was thinking of booking them into the vets next week for their vaccinations but wasn't sure if that would freak them out too much, having only just moved in.

Yeah, I'm as giddy as a kipper!!

We're getting a girl and boy so I'm going to have to sort out them being 'done' and suss out if they'll need separating (Ali was saying that you can get the boy done as young as 12 weeks and because he hasn't matured properly there's no need to separate because there'll be no residual 'juices' knocking about).

Names I like so far as sooty & sweep, dizzi and rascal, smudge and squidge but I keep changing my mind, I'm hoping that once I get them home something that really suits them will just pop into my head.

I was thinking of booking them into the vets next week for their vaccinations but wasn't sure if that would freak them out too much, having only just moved in.

Aww :)
Im not sure about the neutering.. i got told they can be done between 4 and 6 months depends how quickly they mature. For example George is nearly 4 months (june) and his 'plums' have only just started to come through...

Im sure when youve spent some time with them both the names will just pop into your head! :D

If they are going to live outside i would get their Vaccs done as soon as their able to have them. :)

Oh how exciting :)

I would book them in for their vaccinations, good for them to have a check over, also I think it is good to meet your vet, you can sound out how bunny savvy they are, and you get to meet him/her in a good situation rather than an emergency.

I would not expect too much from them in the first few days as they adjust to new surrounding.

Find out food they are on and ask to take some home rather than changing food straight away, ask if they have a bottle or bowl for drink, if they haven't had veg before (again ask) introduce them slowly..

Enjoy them and take lots of pictures to show us :wave:

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll get them booked in for their first lot of vaccinations next week then.

I've already found out what food they're on (excell) and have bought some in, they've tried greens (but she said to only give in small amounts at this age) and they've been used to a water bottle.

The hutch and run are attached, do you think I'd be best putting them straight into the hutch so they can get their bearings or am I better just putting them in the run and letting them play for a bit first?

I'm off tomorrow so I'm collecting them at lunchtime and I've not booked anything in for this weekend so that I can make sure they're settled in well ....... I won't go poking and prodding them every 5 mins.... but just want to keep an eye on them.

Jo x

PS/ I have my camera at the ready!

Thaaaaanks.

I've just booked them in at the vets for the first of their vaccs next Thursday!

I can't wait to get them home now....... I don't think there'll be much sleep going on tonight, I'm just too giddy!

xx

Awwww...thats brilliant!!!!!:wave:
What are the colours of the buns???? Im thinking Grin and Bearit for names......:roll::roll::roll:

Thanks everyone, I'm off work today and was originally planning a lie-in but there's no chance of that happening, I'm far too giddy!!

The little girl is white with orange/ginger patches and the little boy is a beige-y colour.

I took a couple of pics when I went to visit them when OH first told me about it so I'll post them up in a mo.

Jo x

Boy Bunny (this was at about 4 weeks old)

boybunny.jpg

Girl Bunny

girlbunny.jpg

Bunnies having an ickle kiss

bunnies.jpg

Bunnies in the sun (with mum bun keeping an eye on them) taken last week

bunniesinthesun.jpg

Does anyone know what their official colours are? Is it ginger or techan or something?

Thanks, Jo x

Ok, what time is best for me to come and pick them up? They'll be very happy here, don't worry! :love:

Back