• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Went into a Petshop Today and Guess What I came out With............

I came out with a major rage !! :evil:

Giant Bun on shop floor with 4 week old kits. Had 7, but 1 has already died :cry:

I know, I know, why go in there in the first place......................

Was the pet shop one of the national chains or a small independent pet shop?:shock:

Were the kits and the mother for sale?:evil:

OMG:shock:. Thats awful poor mum and babies surly they can't do that can they??????:evil:

They said they didn't know she was pregnant when they put her on sale.
I am assuming they wont sell her til her babies are weaned, if the rest of the babies survive that is :cry:

Awww she surly they must know that she needs peace and quiet without anyone interfearing. I really feel for them.:cry:. I hope the babies survive poor little buns.:cry:

They said they didn't know she was pregnant when they put her on sale.
I am assuming they wont sell her til her babies are weaned, if the rest of the babies survive that is :cry:

I wouldn't assume anything :evil:

I went into p@h once and they were selling a giant rabbit that had a really severe head tilt. It was about £100. They weren't treating it and I didn't want to make a fuss because I've heard horror stories of what would happen then. Broke my heart having to leave it there, but I knew that (even if I did have enough money to buy such an expensive money and pay for the vet treatment) buying it would only encourage them. Sigh.

I wouldn't assume anything :evil:

I went into p@h once and they were selling a giant rabbit that had a really severe head tilt. It was about £100. They weren't treating it and I didn't want to make a fuss because I've heard horror stories of what would happen then. Broke my heart having to leave it there, but I knew that (even if I did have enough money to buy such an expensive money and pay for the vet treatment) buying it would only encourage them. Sigh.

If the pet shop sells baby rabbits before they are weaned then I would argue that they are breaking the terms of their pet shop licence. These licence condition include "The Pet Animals Act 1951" which states:

13 Sale of Livestock

13.1 No mammal shall be sold unweaned or, if weaned, at an age at which it should not have been weaned.

In the situation described at P@H then, in my opinion, their staff should have been sufficiently trained to recognise head tilt or been under the supervision of someone who could.

In another thread, the email from the P@H 'Head of Pets' made great claims for the standards of P@H staff training.

The Act (and licence) also states:

6 Health, Disease and Acclimatisation

6.1 All stock for sale must be in good health and free from obvious parasitic infestation as far as can be reasonably determined without veterinary inspection.

6.2 And sick or injured animal must receive appropriate care and treatment without delay. Inexperienced staff must not treat sick animals unless under appropriately experienced supervision.

N.B. “Care and treatment” may include euthanasia but under no circumstances may an animal be euthanased other than in a humane and effective manner. In case of doubt, veterinary advice mustbe sought.

6.3 Facilities must be provided to isolate sick animals.

6.5 Any animal with an obvious, significant abnormality which would materially affect its quality of life, must not be offered for sale. When in doubt, veterinary advice should be sought.

Poor things :( Guessing she isn't too old herself if she is for sale in a pet shop. I wonder if this is the same rabbit that someone else has posted about in rabbit welfare?

Aww...really upsets me going into petshops that sell animals...try to avoid them as I know I'll come out upset and worrying about what will become of the little souls. That would make me mad too :censored:

Is there anything that can be done? Baby kits on the shop floor can't be right .....:(

Nicola x x x

Back