• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Snapdragons, French Marigolds & Bunnies

tigerangel

Warren Veteran
I've been bought some Snapdragons and Marigolds for my newly-reclaimed flowerbed in the back garden... I'm unsure if these are bunny-safe? Can anyone shed any light? :?

I can always plant them in the front garden if not, I just need to know :wave:

Ah ok, that confused me as i wasnt' looking for the latin name on that list :lol:

Snap dragons can go in the front garden, marigolds can be planted across the back :love:

EDIT oh wait you edited your post :oops: now marigolds cause skin irritation but snapdragons aren't listed.....argh that's confused me now!

Last edited:
Gypsy has nibbled a few snap dragons. I think pot marigolds are okay, not sure about french.

snapdragons aren't listed as toxic so maybe ok. i couldn't find comprehensive list of flowers safe for rabbits to eat. I assume you are growing these for the rabbits to eat? as trust me- if rabbits enjoy em you won't have any left!! lol x

any flowers youwant to look at are best in hanging baskets or tall pots.

rabbits like nasturtiums but they are a bit peppery so don't eat too many and tend to eat the leaves rather than the flowers- they are red orange and yellow and very prettty- you should have some of those left.

rose bushes are good too- protect the stalks when growing- even if rabbits eat the flowers they can reach theres usually too many blooms for them to eat them all.
I mostly grow dandelions:lol::lol:

Last edited:
I have just checked the Textbook of Rabbit Medicine and it lists snap dragons as poisonous to other species so are potentially poisonous to rabbits.

It also lists Lupins as poisonous which is what I original thought.

I have just checked the Textbook of Rabbit Medicine and it lists snap dragons as poisonous to other species so are potentially poisonous to rabbits.

It also lists Lupins as poisonous which is what I original thought.

Thanks very much for looking :wave: I wish I had that book!

Answer then, they're all going in the front garden as all my off-the-ground pots and hanging baskets are already full :lol: As I said someone bought them for me so I didn't have much choice in acquiring them, and if they die off in my half-shaded front garden then oh well ;)

Back