• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescue Advice

Last edited:
I think we need a few more details :wave:

Private rescues need to meet the same standards of care as any other pet owning household. You can call the RSPCA if you don't think the animals are properly cared for.

Legal requirements: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/index.htm

Unfortunately there isn't much about rabbits as pets, and most of the DEFRA info is about farmed rabbits.

Rescues which aren't registered charities don't have a legal requirement to keep accounts or justify how donations have been used. Donated goods can be either used by the rescue or sold to raise funds for the rescue. It would be vitually impossible to prove that a private rescue had fraudulently asked for donations.

You have to be bringing in £5000 to register as a charity and then you must register as a charity.

TBH I don't think there are that many regulations for a smaller rescue. If conditions are poor then maybe you could contact the RSPCA to have a look :?

if they are a struggling rescue would it help to offer assistance or point them in the direction of RU?-sue:wave:

if they are a struggling rescue would it help to offer assistance or point them in the direction of RU?-sue:wave:

I agree maybe get some volunteers together to help clean the hutches out. Maybe see if some companies would donate some runs, that sort of thing.

It is always best to try to work with people first :) Although from my own experiences I know that this can be a thankless task and some people just will not accept help, but its always worth a try :)

Sounds like you have tried your best :(:(

Unfortunately I can name quite a few rescues like this, but there seems to be so little anyone can do about it :cry:

I'm not saying they are cruel but they don't seem to consider some of the animals needs, they will have a vet out quickly to a horse or dog but not a smaller animal. The hutch sizes are not great and are not cleaned out enough and they never, ever get to go out in a run. It is the lifers I feel the most sorry for, I don't know I wish they would stop taking in and do more for the ones they have.

How about highlighting some of the long-termers on here? Members have done this before for rescues who don't have the facilities for adequate long-term care...with a pretty good response :wave:

This makes me cross and sad. Why bother running a rescue if your not going to put the time and effort in with looking after the animals and also fundraising and education.

Seems like you have done all the right things and tried your hardest. I would love someone to come 6 days a week, your a star. I have a lovely lady who comes on a Saturday and she makes a huge difference to the piggie lives here.

If you can get photographic evidence on living conditions then that helps or get friends to go and visit pretending to want an animal and they can then let the RSPCA know the conditions.

Back