• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

please help. UD - She's gone. Night night Nibbles :(

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
Some of you will know Nibbles spent the majority of last week at the vets because she wasn't eating and had a gassy tummy. She came home on saturday and was fine.
Yesterday she was very slow with eating, but was taking syringe feeds fine (like last week) and now she's stopped eating again. She's also lost loads of weight this week.

I spent nearly £150 on her bill last week and can't afford another big bill. I'm distraught. I'm gonna have to get her up and find the money from somewhere.

I'm sure she's got some underlying problem, I just have no idea what it is.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to think it's the beginning of the end for my Bunnycat :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Oh no! Looks like another trip to the vets is on the cards.

Vet treatment first - worry about the cost later - can you come to some sort of 'payment plan' with the vets?

What a worry - i hope your bunny is ok! xx

I'm assuming they checked for the obvious [ie dental probs],as you say she will take the syringe feed fine but is slow at actually eating ?
sending vibes x

awww bekkie it can take weeks for the gut to get back up to speed after stasis. i would take her the vets get some fluids injected and see if its ok to home treat as they have already ruled out anything nasty havent they?

a vet told me once Alvins fiestyness and vets visits hinder recovery. with home treatment it takes two weeks to get him back to totally normal sometimes longer but when ever i get him checked out its never anything more than stasis

hang in there hunny she will get better and with home treatment at a fraction of the cost.

having stasis drugs at home has now saved me two emergency vets bills but i always take him after hes eating again just to make sure

loads of vibes xxxxx

lots of vibes for Nibbles.

was there any change in her lifestyle(diet, new pets, new housing?) when she stopped eating?
I assume your vets have checked her teeth?
sue x:wave:

Also many vets do follow-up appointments at a fraction of the original consultation cost -it may be worth asking how much a follow-up appointment would be?

I'm sure you have already tried it but if not what about HIPP baby food red fruit ( to lap up on a saucer )?

I do hope she will pick up soon.

Last edited:
The vet has admitted her again. She's very concerned about little nibbles. We had 4 options:
1) Sedate her and check her teeth, even though michelle has had a good look and doesn't believe its her teeth, but the anesthetic would be dangerous because she's so weak
2) Blood tests
3) Try her on different meds
4) Letting her go

Number 4 is out the question, and we've gone for the blood tests. I believe there's a problem in her gut, and so does michelle. Its just pin pointing what it is.

She does have a history of stasis, but she usually comes round after a day, but even the vet is surprised at how poorly she is :(

I would definately go with the sedation and back teeth check!! The Dudster was like this for a week after Christmas, he showed no dental signs what so ever and the vet thought his teeth looked perfect! As a last resort he was sedated very briefly and the vet saw a tiny spur on a back tooth and he still didnt think it was the cause. Jane said to get it done and it was the problem all along, he is just a very sensitive bun!! It may not be Nibbles problem BUT I definately wouldnt rule it out just in case! Sending loads of vibes for her!

I would definately go with the sedation and back teeth check!! The Dudster was like this for a week after Christmas, he showed no dental signs what so ever and the vet thought his teeth looked perfect! As a last resort he was sedated very briefly and the vet saw a tiny spur on a back tooth and he still didnt think it was the cause. Jane said to get it done and it was the problem all along, he is just a very sensitive bun!! It may not be Nibbles problem BUT I definately wouldnt rule it out just in case! Sending loads of vibes for her!

The dental is the next option. I'm relectant to put her under at the minute because she's so weak. She's jusy skin and bones. I'd be surprised if she weighs any more than a kilo at the minute.

As for xrays, we did talk about that, but the vet said they wouldn't show much. She's a rabbit savvy vet too, and has her own bunnies. She's in safe hands

We've got the results back, and its not good news.
Basically, theres signs it could be her kidneys, but these also show up if bunny is dehydrated. She's on a drip again, and is theyre gonna do another test tomorrow morning, but a urine test i belive. If the levels are still high, then its her kidneys, if the levels go down, its dehydration.

Back