• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help, at wit's end.

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Gah. This is the third time in four days now I've been woken up early by one of the lops weeing on my duvet and I'm really starting to feel stressed about it. I can't keep washing duvets every day!

I know this probably should be in the behaviour forum but I don't think many people go in there.

What can I do to either protect my duvet or to stop this behaviour? I thought it was because they were hungry but I got up as soon as they jumped on me this morning and fed them their pellets and I got THREE wees on my duvet for my trouble!

I'm pretty sure it's Mischa because if I have the presence of mind at 6-7am to keep putting him on the floor it doesn't happen. Mind you recently they'd been really good and then suddenly wees galore. :roll: He's really good everywhere else and hasn't weed on the towels and stuff on the floor like he was doing when he was drinking an excessive amount. Could it be he wants to play? I know this is their time for running around and playing but I just can't get up at 6 every morning to play with him. I'm so tired.

Would a treat ball (that works with SS pellets!) be worth trying?

i have no idea, i guess re litter training might help which would mean back to the cage and not allowed on the bed :?

could it be a learned type thing, bunny pees on bed bunny gets food and attention?

You could sleep in a cot :D

:lol::lol:

i have no idea, i guess re litter training might help which would mean back to the cage and not allowed on the bed :?

could it be a learned type thing, bunny pees on bed bunny gets food and attention?

They (I say they but I'm convinced it's him) don't do it anywhere else. I think it must be for me to get up. *sigh* I'm going to have to start going to bed at 9! Or I'll have to find something to keep him occupied!

ETA. The learned thing I think may be part of it. I think yesterday I fed them after the weeing, definitely fed them before the wees today but they always want MORE! Maybe I'll start getting up, giving them hay, doing stuff and THEN feeding the pellets later, more mid-morning.

Last edited:
Gah they did it again this morning. :evil: The last couple of nights I've been awake enough to push them off but I was in a deep sleep this morning and didn't realise they were on the bed. I suppose it's going to take a while *sigh*

Snowdrop went through a phase of doing this. She would wee on clothes too if we left them on the floor. Since we have moved she hasnt done it but she doesnt jump on the bed anymore either.

Bungle was terrible at litter training at the old house. He would wee all over the floors. Now we have moved he only ever goes in his tray. I dont know why its different here but he hasnt had one accident!

Snowdrop went through a phase of doing this. She would wee on clothes too if we left them on the floor. Since we have moved she hasnt done it but she doesnt jump on the bed anymore either.

Bungle was terrible at litter training at the old house. He would wee all over the floors. Now we have moved he only ever goes in his tray. I dont know why its different here but he hasnt had one accident!

Do you think maybe that's cos it's a new area, unsullied so to speak?

My Petal used to wee on the bed, but she stopped once she was neutered.

I actually ended up buying a large, plastic white shower curtain and put that on the bed. She used to do it when I was out, at work etc

Gah. This is the third time in four days now I've been woken up early by one of the lops weeing on my duvet and I'm really starting to feel stressed about it. I can't keep washing duvets every day!

1 close the bedroom door
2 find a place where your lops can be comfortable overnight without causing damage eg the kitchen

1 close the bedroom door
2 find a place where your lops can be comfortable overnight without causing damage eg the kitchen

The live in my room, they can't go in the kitchen it's far too small. It's just about big enough to do kitcheny stuff in. If I can get the four bonded they will have this room, the spare/study room once it's done up and sorted and bunny proofed and then have the landing and my room during the day. It's fine during the day (see below) just not at 5 bloody am.

My Petal used to wee on the bed, but she stopped once she was neutered.

I actually ended up buying a large, plastic white shower curtain and put that on the bed. She used to do it when I was out, at work etc

Unfortunately they only do it in the morning when I am in it. The rest of the time I have a plastic bottom sheet over the bed and then a duvet specially for them. They know when and how to do it for maximum effect :roll:

:thumb:
I think Donna has hit the nail on the head Schuette. You say yourself they pee - you wake up and feed them - you are rewarding the behaviour and thus reinforcing it! ;)

My advise would be one of two things (or both):
Prevent them from jumping on to the bed (fit a barrier around your bed - like Jane says a cot! :lol: That really would work actually.
OR, if they jump up and pee - ignore it - do not react and do not reward it with food or attention. It might take a couple of days or even a week or so of consistently ignoring it (and lots of washing) but the end result should be a bun that eventually learns that peeing on the bed gets them nothing! Good luck x

i dont know what thread it was but the other day someone said they had this problem, and that they had changed their routine... so instead of being wee'd on getting up and feeding them, they would, get wee'd on (lol sorry) get up, go about their business and not feed them for a good half hour afterwards, so they didnt assiciate food with peeing on the bed if that makes sense

actually i think it may have been the ''what is your routine thread'' but i wouldnt swear to it

sorry if im rambling and its **** advice, but thought it may help?

:thumb:
I think Donna has hit the nail on the head Schuette. You say yourself they pee - you wake up and feed them - you are rewarding the behaviour and thus reinforcing it! ;)

My advise would be one of two things (or both):
Prevent them from jumping on to the bed (fit a barrier around your bed - like Jane says a cot! :lol: That really would work actually.
OR, if they jump up and pee - ignore it - do not react and do not reward it with food or attention. It might take a couple of days or even a week or so of consistently ignoring it (and lots of washing) but the end result should be a bun that eventually learns that peeing on the bed gets them nothing! Good luck x

I don't though. The feeding thing or the attention thing. I haven't for some time now. What I tend to do is wake up about 6 feed them and go back to sleep, then they'd wee. So now I'm not giving them any food until I've been up for a couple of hours. I think it's just going to take time for them to unlearn it. :?

have they been spray/neuter?

They usually do it at the corner of the bed, so for a long time, I used to put a towel at that spot, so no harm on my bedsheet.

In the recent month, I just close that door all day/night

Its a hard one....but I reckon they do it where they can smell its been done before...bit like cats???
Perhaps its back to the drawing board to litter train and maybe a new duvet??
Or is it possessions?? Both you and the duvet are theirs???

Past two days have been better. They've jumped up about four times in total each morning and I've put them down and they've kinda got the hint so have left me alone a bit more.

have they been spray/neuter?

They usually do it at the corner of the bed, so for a long time, I used to put a towel at that spot, so no harm on my bedsheet.

In the recent month, I just close that door all day/night

Yup, all my four have been done. They tend to do it on me. So on my feet, on my lap, on my chest. :roll: I can't close the door, they live in my room, for the time being anyway.

Its a hard one....but I reckon they do it where they can smell its been done before...bit like cats???
Perhaps its back to the drawing board to litter train and maybe a new duvet??
Or is it possessions?? Both you and the duvet are theirs???

I don't think so because I have three duvets that I alternate. I also have two thicker ones but I've taken these off as I can't fit those in the washing machine. The duvet it the only place they wee apart from their litter tray so I don't think it's the litter training that's gone awry.

Keith used to wee on the sofa in the front room so I shut him out for a while and increased his cage time, now he's perfect at only weeing in the litter tray.

I'd try caging them overnight for a week, so they're by their litter tray the whole time, and then see how things go. I put K in the cage for an hour everytime he weed somewhere he shouldn't, and he's now really fastidious about using his litter tray.

as they are castrated i dont know what will help the only way you are going to stop this is lock them up for the night and its also safer for the rabbits as you have no idea what they are up to while you are aslep they could chew wires and cause a fire it does happen doesnt matter how much you trust them
personally i dont like animals sleeping on the bed its unhygenic they go in their litter trys stand on wee and po and then sit on the bed yuck :?
but thats my personal choice but i would personally just lock them up for the night in a dog crate or something thats way problem solved ;)

Back