• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help?! Emergency advise please?

Jaspers mum

Young Bun
In Ontario right now we are having some extreme weather, it's about 40c in my apt right now, and Jasper is squatting like normal, but he is panting.

I dont think thats normal, he has the fan on him, I gave him a bowl of water (which he lapped up greedily) what else can I do?

Is he in danger?

Try damping towels and laying them over the cage. You can also damp his ears regularly with cool water. A fan won't help much unless you are blowing cool air in from elsewhere. If he's panting call your vet for advise.

Is it that heat in Ontario? It's only 13 deg. C here.

Like the others said, use a cool water spray and spray it on the Fur side of their ears. Their ears radiate heat. When dry, spray it again, so do it every few hr.

A tile of something for him to sit on? Something that tends to keep cooler than it's surroundings.

You could put a bottle of water in the freezer and when it's frozen wrap it in a teatowel or something and put it next to him so he has something cool to lie against - this works really well for my bunnies

If you fill a few large water bottles and put them in the freezer, then once frozen put them in a pillow case or towel and place beside bunny.

Also wetting the ears, as suggested, is good.

You could put a bottle of water in the freezer and when it's frozen wrap it in a teatowel or something and put it next to him so he has something cool to lie against - this works really well for my bunnies

Great minds :)

Put a bowl of ice cubes behind the fan so that it blows cold air. And with a frozen bottle of water... I know this might be really obvious but only fill the bottle about three quarters full before you freeze it or the ice will expand and the bottle will pop. The other thing you can do is fill a glass jar with ice cubes. :)

Put a bowl of ice cubes behind the fan so that it blows cold air. And with a frozen bottle of water... I know this might be really obvious but only fill the bottle about three quarters full before you freeze it or the ice will expand and the bottle will pop. The other thing you can do is fill a glass jar with ice cubes. :)

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

why behind the fan and not infront? and the popping bottle is that wile freezing or while defrosting *gots a whole new paranoia to go home with* :oops::oops:

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

why behind the fan and not infront? and the popping bottle is that wile freezing or while defrosting *gots a whole new paranoia to go home with* :oops::oops:

While freezing ;) And behind cos the fan pushes the air from behind forwards.

camping packs - the sort that freeze the pack to keep other stuff cold -

put them under him (wrapped in a towel).

Panting is not good.

Sorry about the late reply, Jasper started to become lethargic, and I took him to the ER vet.

He is fine now, has wet ears, a frozen water bottle, his cage is now lines with ceramic tiles, and he has a bowl of water with ice cubes in it.

The vet gave him fluids with a needle *ouch*

But sent him home this afternoon around 1pm. He is ok now, but I was quite worried!

It doesnt usually get so hot here, poor Jas!:(

The vet said he was fine, just had a worrisome mummy...But I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never had a nethie before, I used to have a lop, and before that a belgian hare. Jas is SO SMALL, I was afraid of how fast his condition would deteriorate

Back